Tarvaris Jackson re-signs with Bills

scurdog1

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering we fans have no body of work by which to judge TJ (thanks, Chan), I can only say this is a good move at this point. To me it says they're not looking to make a first round QB selection, though I believe they'll look to get one in round 2 or 3.

Some of us have watched plenty of his body of work. He's average. Nothing more.

I don't care for this move. The money being wasted on TJax could have been used to sign a player who could add a lot more value. Having two average QBs does not equal one good one. Stupid move IMO.

The case for having 2 streaky QBs is that you can ride whichever one is "hot" at the moment. Chan, as we all know, never had any intention of doing that. Still, the strategy is fundamentally flawed because both of them may ebb low at the same time. Then what do you do? Of course, the only reason you intentionally go in this direction is because you have no other options and are stuck with journeyman backups off the scrap heap as your only alternative...

Every time someone posts Ryan "Garbage Time" Fitzpatrick's stats God kills a kitten. Here's a challenge: Name 2 WRs of the 2011 SEA roster without an internet search.

Fitz ran up his stats in garbage time but Tjax had no one to throw to?

PTR

Just received word.

I like it, not much available in free agency. Big,, athletic guy with a very strong arm. In a conventional drop back offense he has probably shown that he can't get it done. But as a contingency if the QB they draft isn't ready, maybe he can be a different player in a simplified read option heavy attack and help Marrone get off to a good start in the same manner that Mularkey reigned in Drew Bledsoe and nearly got the Bills to the playoffs. The two biggest issues with the Bills right now are QB and culture. The defense should improve greatly under Pettine. If they can't get the QB they need and get him up to speed, they still need to get above .500 asap.

I think this is insurance in case Fitz doesn't restructure his contract.

I hope T. Jackson will get a chance in camp, something that he did not have last year.

This to me is a good thing. Bring in a rookie QB in the second round (Nassib or whoever) and may the best man win the job.

This would be very wise indeed.

And it would not surprise me that Bills have a hand in helping him develop, dust off the cobwebs and ready.

Pressure is on "coerced " was a nice way to phrase this move.

I agree

The case for having 2 streaky QBs is that you can ride whichever one is "hot" at the moment. Chan, as we all know, never had any intention of doing that. Still, the strategy is fundamentally flawed because both of them may ebb low at the same time. Then what do you do? Of course, the only reason you intentionally go in this direction is because you have no other options and are stuck with journeyman backups off the scrap heap as your only alternative...

OR... You set your rookie up to fall on a feather-lined bed. IMO, these moves are deliberate, and part of a thinly-veiled plan.

-With Nassib training with Hackett's dad, and only wash-outs to serve as TC competition... The stage is set for a seamless transition.

As I've stated before, I hope I'm wrong. -Nassib would be a TERRIBLE choice for starting QB... If things come to pass as I believe, our only hope of having a competitive season will be a phenomenal defensive draft.

OR... You set your rookie up to fall on a feather-lined bed. IMO, these moves are deliberate, and part of a thinly-veiled plan.

-With Nassib training with Hackett's dad, and only wash-outs to serve as TC competition... The stage is set for a seamless transition.

As I've stated before, I hope I'm wrong. -Nassib would be a TERRIBLE choice for starting QB... If things come to pass as I believe, our only hope of having a competitive season will be a phenomenal defensive draft.

I think this move is not defining as to where we will be by preseason.

It's the first move in a chess game. we might draft two. we might draft one early. Lots of time to fine tune the qb situation.

where'd we stash that kid who could throw through a window into the moving car ?

My point is , the final cut down is a loooong ways off.

lets freak out anyways .hell it's the offseason !! B-)

Sounds like the Richard Sherman thread, draft a guy high that you don't expect to do anything and string people along with the "we're developing him" media pablum.

My point is , the final cut down is a loooong ways off.

lets freak out anyways .hell it's the offseason !! B-)

To be followed by the hand-wringing, fear, and loathing of draft day!

I wouldn't trade either experience for the world.

Edited by #34fan

Sounds like the Richard Sherman thread, draft a guy high that you don't expect to do anything and string people along with the "we're developing him" media pablum.

I think GM's and coaches draft certain kids expecting them to deliver the goods.

They don't really start stringing the fans along until it's clear that they made a mistake... THEN, they start with the "we're developing him" B.S. -I think that's what Sherman was trying to say.

Through the horrors of the past two seasons, Gailey/Nix NEVER ONCE conceeded that they made an error by "showing Fitz the money" in 2011. Even with our season, and JOBS on the line, they never tried to reverse course, or give another QB the chance to prove them both wrong. -Which, of course, they were.

I found that SCARY.

Still, It's evidence of the "stringing along" scenario that Sherman speaks about.

Edited by #34fan

Dude. Cutting Fitz saves them every dollar they WOULD have to pay him. Like $10 M in actual, hard money cash. If they cut him, his bonus gets accelerated and the Bills get charged $10 M against the cap, but it's accounting. The Bills save $10 Million dollars by cutting Fitz. That makes a ton of economic sense where I'm from.

Um, I think you might want to google QB salaries etc.

The Bills are not on the hook to pay Fitz $10 million this year. Therefore they will not save $10 million on actual hard money cash if they cut Fitz.

They will save his 2013 salary of $4.25 million. They will also save a $3 million roster bonus he is due in March. So let's count:

-If the Bills cut Fitz before March, they will save $3 million in actual hard money cash

-If the Bills cut Fitz before whatever milestone is being used (usually 53 man roster or opening day of the season), they will save $4.25 million in actual cold hard money cash

The point is the Bills are under no particular pressure to cut Fitz immediately or else watch $10 million cash flutter away like a murder of crows with a shotgun after it.

They can ask him to restructure, using their newly-signed QBs TJax and Aaron Corp as leverage.

If he doesn't want to, or drags his feet, they can choose whether or not to pay the bonus and keep him on the roster while they see whom they draft and how the draftee shapes up

If they keep him on the roster, they can cut him before opening day and save $4.25 million

Because he has little impact on the salary cap, there's only $3 million of ready-cash reasons to cut Fitz ASAP. That's big money to me, and to you, but a relatively small hedge fund for an NFL team

No doubt they are looking to upgrade at the QB position, but I think TJax resigned here because he knew he wasn't going to get any offers anywhere else. I think if he knew he had a shot to go elsewhere he would have been gone in a heartbeat. So I don't read too much into this signing as I think the QB they draft is going to be the starter.

I don't think that's quite likely that TJax wouldn't get any offers anywhere else, Billsbum.

I think TJax would likely have gotten several reasonable offers from teams looking to improve at the backup QB position. I think what kept him here is the magical lure of the phrase "open competition" and the feeling that with the regime change, Fitz is no longer entrenched as the incumbent starter.

Edited by Hopeful

Nicely said sir. it's what we Bills fans do well.

We're also fairly proficient in Pissing, moaning, teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling, Bar-drumming, face-palming, bellowing, and double-eye-gouging. -And that, by the way, is when we're SOBER. Being a Bills fan is painful, self-defeating, and masochistic. Still, we prefer it to rooting for the Fins, Jets, or Patsies. Why?

Because this team was AWESOME once. Those of us who remember will never forget.

A small-market team that was the bain of all the big-market posers.

Heluva road back, but I'm riding it 'until they leave b-lo, or stick me in the dirt. Not budging before.

Edited by #34fan

We're also fairly proficient in Pissing, moaning, teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling, Bar-drumming, face-palming, bellowing, and double-eye-gouging. -And that, by the way, is when we're SOBER. Being a Bills fan is painful, self-defeating, and masochistic. Still, we prefer it to rooting for the Fins, Jets, or Patsies. Why?

Heluva road back, but I'm riding it 'until they leave b-lo, or stick me in the dirt. Not before.

So thats what the meaning of a fan is. take note folks.

Go Bills !

Heluva road back, but I'm riding it 'until they leave b-lo, or stick me in the dirt. Not budging before.

Post of the month right there. Dayum, couldn't say it better on my best day.

Thanx,

jb

My buddy and I just bought two more seasons Friday. Up to 8 now.

PTR

You might want to look again. SEA didn't have a single WR that belongs in the NFL in 2011 (maybe Rice, but he was hurt half the year). There's no Stevie Johnson on that team. I think you got the point, but maybe just think a bit too highly of Doug Baldwin.

Look at what? I don't consider SJ a great WR, yes he is good but nothing spectacular, average seems to describe him well, and has a bad habit of dropping key passes. Other than him the WR corps for each team are meh! Both teams suck, again, your point makes nadda.

Edited by billsbum

I dont think he has the CPU speed to read and react to defensive schemes. Other than that a fine QB specimen physically. I'm about 6 beers deep so go easy on me. Thanx.

jb

I agree. He is not known for intelligent decision making and he didn't fare well on the wonderlic coming out. I think he had like half of Fitz' score. But Fitz has half of his arm.

Both teams suck, again, your point makes nadda.

Ultimately the point is that Fitz's stats are wildly inflated by playing against 2nd string defenses in games that were blowouts. Throwing 2 yard screens to CJ and watching him run 60+ yds for TDs doesn't hurt either. If you still don't get that then I don't know what to tell you.

I got on you due to your conspiracy theory on the quarterback situation but this here is a righteous post!

Ultimately the point is that Fitz's stats are wildly inflated by playing against 2nd string defenses in games that were blowouts. Throwing 2 yard screens to CJ and watching him run 60+ yds for TDs doesn't hurt either. If you still don't get that then I don't know what to tell you.

No they weren't

Oh, I get it perfectly fine wise guy, I just think you are wrong. I don't believe in "garbage time stats", it's a bunch of bunk to fit your argument.

Define garbage time? Because a team is losing they are just supposed to give up and not try? Or because a team is winning they don't try either? garbage time stats is crap. Garbage time to me is 1:10 to go in the 4th quarter and the score is 41-3 and the loser team gets an oh by the way TD to make the score 41-10. That's garbage time, not like you seem to think, where the score is 35-20 with 10:00 to go in the 3rd quarter and anything after that is "garbage time". No!

Not sticking up for Fitz, but please, take your garbage time stats and shove em.

Edited by billsbum

No they weren't

Oh, I get it perfectly fine wise guy, I just think you are wrong. I don't believe in "garbage time stats", it's a bunch of bunk to fit your argument.

Define garbage time? Because a team is losing they are just supposed to give up and not try? Or because a team is winning they don't try either? garbage time stats is crap. Garbage time to me is 1:10 to go in the 4th quarter and the score is 41-3 and the loser team gets an oh by the way TD to make the score 41-10. That's garbage time, not like you seem to think, where the score is 35-20 with 10:00 to go in the 3rd quarter and anything after that is "garbage time". No!

Not sticking up for Fitz, but please, take your garbage time stats and shove em.

From not too long ago:

2012 Week 1: New York Jets 41 Buffalo Bills 7 with 9:38 left to play in 3rd quarter.

Ryan Fitzpatrick 8/15 for 75 yards 0 TD and 3 INT

The Jets start swapping in 2nd stringers and basically stop blitzing (a Wannestedt defense with their 2nd unit). At this point almost half of Fitz's completions are to the other team, and he's thrown a pick-6. The game is over, the fans stop watching, and the Jets' players are laughing and lounging on the sidelines.

But here comes Fitz to the rescue - watch how he carves up a preseason defense!

Ryan Fitzpatrick 18/32 for 195 yards 3TDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garbage time is when the other team stops caring, starts pulling starters to shield them from injury and/or stops blitzing. Pete Carroll actually apologized to us for running a fake punt with 12 minutes left in a game. Why? Because it was garbage time. If you watched Fitz over the past 2 seasons, you've seen a lot of garbage time, assuming you didn't start mowing your lawn at halftime.

Look, it's obvious you are a Fitz supporter, and I'm not going to change your mind about him. I've seen enough of him for 10 lifetimes, so let's just agree to disagree.

The more I think about this move the less I like it. I just don't see the upside here. We've already got a veteran journeyman QB on the roster, why add another? The QB carousel never works. Paying a guy $4.5 mil to leverage the other guy to restructure is a self-defeating strategy. This forecloses the opportunity of improving the position outside the draft, and if you're going to address it in the draft why pay so much for a 2nd b/u?

TJax reportedly signed a one-year, $4.5 million contract.

I haven't seen any report of the signing bonus and of course that might give some clues as to figuring out what's going on at One Bills Drive.

If the bonus is relatively small, he could easily be cut and it would seem to make Fitz the favorite to stay on as stop-gap starter/eventual backup.

If Jackson's signing bonus is large, it might put him on more equal footing with Fitz.

Just thinking out loud here.

From not too long ago:

2012 Week 1: New York Jets 41 Buffalo Bills 7 with 9:38 left to play in 3rd quarter.

Ryan Fitzpatrick 8/15 for 75 yards 0 TD and 3 INT

The Jets start swapping in 2nd stringers and basically stop blitzing (a Wannestedt defense with their 2nd unit). At this point almost half of Fitz's completions are to the other team, and he's thrown a pick-6. The game is over, the fans stop watching, and the Jets' players are laughing and lounging on the sidelines.

But here comes Fitz to the rescue - watch how he carves up a preseason defense!

Ryan Fitzpatrick 18/32 for 195 yards 3TDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garbage time is when the other team stops caring, starts pulling starters to shield them from injury and/or stops blitzing. Pete Carroll actually apologized to us for running a fake punt with 12 minutes left in a game. Why? Because it was garbage time. If you watched Fitz over the past 2 seasons, you've seen a lot of garbage time, assuming you didn't start mowing your lawn at halftime.

Look, it's obvious you are a Fitz supporter, and I'm not going to change your mind about him. I've seen enough of him for 10 lifetimes, so let's just agree to disagree.

Now that GTS example, I agree with.

Fitz supporters (unbelievably, there are still a few emerging from the woods) are quick to point out he threw for 3400 yards and 24 TDs. Since we're grandizing about stats, lets look a bit closer at those stats. Fitz threw 13 of those TDs in games decided by 15 or more points. He also threw 15 in the first 8 games, with 12 of them coming in our first 4 games. That means he threw for 12 TDs in our last 12 games, which is absolutely unacceptable. Eight of those TDs came in the aforementioned garbage time and vs KC and Cleveland.

In the 4th quarter of games decided by 7 or fewer points, Fitz threw 1 TD and 4 INTs, with a QBR of 55. Every time this guy has the ball in the 4th quarter, an entire fan base expects the worse, which usually happens. Yet there are calls to keep this guy. Losing has clouded people's perception of what a "good" QB is that some career journeyman who beat the Pats two years ago has been ordained a QB Jesus by some.

Cut this loser now. Show that acceptance of mediocrity, for which Fitz is the poster boy, is a thing of the past.

Now that GTS example, I agree with.

Fitz supporters (unbelievably, there are still a few emerging from the woods) are quick to point out he threw for 3400 yards and 24 TDs. Since we're grandizing about stats, lets look a bit closer at those stats. Fitz threw 13 of those TDs in games decided by 15 or more points. He also threw 15 in the first 8 games, with 12 of them coming in our first 4 games. That means he threw for 12 TDs in our last 12 games, which is absolutely unacceptable. Eight of those TDs came in the aforementioned garbage time and vs KC and Cleveland.

In the 4th quarter of games decided by 7 or fewer points, Fitz threw 1 TD and 4 INTs, with a QBR of 55. Every time this guy has the ball in the 4th quarter, an entire fan base expects the worse, which usually happens. Yet there are calls to keep this guy. Losing has clouded people's perception of what a "good" QB is that some career journeyman who beat the Pats two years ago has been ordained a QB Jesus by some.

Cut this loser now. Show that acceptance of mediocrity, for which Fitz is the poster boy, is a thing of the past.

67 Turnovers in 3 years (Ints + fumbles lost)...67! How is it even possible that any Bills fan could want this guy back? B-)

67 Turnovers in 3 years (Ints + fumbles lost)...67! How is it even possible that any Bills fan could want this guy back? B-)

Exactly. I understand the "we have nobody better" argument. I don't agree, but I understand. My question is...how could it get worse?

Exactly. I understand the "we have nobody better" argument. I don't agree, but I understand. My question is...how could it get worse?

Well, if the open competition is for starter, and real (Fitz / Tjax) , then I think it already has.

jb

Edited by jaybee