Donte Whitner 7th Worst Safety

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the spirit of a "A Christmas Story" at one of our late season tailgates, I described Whitner as a "toadie". That's what he is. He is a undersized player with a very big mouth who doesn't get as exposed and will come up and make the play he absolutely should when he is protected by a great front 7. The statistics discussed here certainly support this, though watching so many Niners games the past couple years and having a clue what I was watching created my opinion. Put him back on the Bills in Wannstedt's horrible defense and he would have been back carrying George Wilson's bags again.

The Bills made a disturbing mistake when they drafted him. Bob Sanders and Troy Polomalu were great, frontline defensive players that happened to be undersized and the Bills for some reason thought there just must be more a bunch more of them where that came from! Wrong. The equivalent this year would be drafting a far less qualified 5'9" QB and expecting him to go Russell Wilson on the league.

For all the people who say "hey, it's not Whitner's fault he was overdrafted, we should show him love" it is important to point out that he has never said he was....you know....... MAYBE not good enough to be drafted eighth overall. More importantly, he was quite determined to NOT take a paycut after his outlandish $6M per year rookie contract was up. Much of which he earned on the bench where he couldn't beat out an ex-street free agent...a slow footed ex-wide receiver named George Wilson. The point is, he absolutely did not concur with his apologists. In fact, he would probably slap the taste out your mouth if you went up to him and told him you always liked him as a player it's not his fault he wasn't worthy of being drafted so high. He was just drafted into the wrong SYSTEM, don't you see? A system without 6 or 7 oustanding players in the front...well...7. I really don't get the attempts at man-love for this guy. He was a big part of the problem when he was here AND he was a blowhard on top of that. He is a spare part and he would have never accepted that role here if he hadn't been humbled by the disinterest in him in free agency. He can eat a d*ck as far as I care and I normally don't care too much about player character.

Please never stop posting. :worthy::thumbsup:

The Bills made a disturbing mistake when they drafted him. Bob Sanders and Troy Polomalu were great, frontline defensive players that happened to be undersized and the Bills for some reason thought there just must be more a bunch more of them where that came from! Wrong. The equivalent this year would be drafting a far less qualified 5'9" QB and expecting him to go Russell Wilson on the league.

Not taking a player such as Ngata over DW is more than a bad pick, it is simply weird! How do staffers come up with such an off the wall idea of making this caliber of player such a high draft choice when there were so many different reasonable drafting options? This type of inexplicable player evaluations wasn't an aberration for this clueless organization. Does one have to be a professional scout to not reallize that Fitz wasn't capable of being a franchise qb? Then making the claim that he is worth a generous contract because he has "proven" that you can build a winning team around this erratic player is not merely bad judgment but it is delusional. Look at the Maybin episode. He was a one year college wonder who garnered most of his fraudulent sack stats against a few weak sister opponents. How does a thin one trick pony player become such a prized prospect when there were other better choices such as Orakpo?

When you have an insular owner who has a proclivity for hiring incompetents you get what you should expect to get. I'm hoping that now that the owner is not involved there will be more rationality involved in the decision-making.

In the spirit of a "A Christmas Story" at one of our late season tailgates, I described Whitner as a "toadie". That's what he is. He is a undersized player with a very big mouth who doesn't get as exposed and will come up and make the play he absolutely should when he is protected by a great front 7. The statistics discussed here certainly support this, though watching so many Niners games the past couple years and having a clue what I was watching created my opinion. Put him back on the Bills in Wannstedt's horrible defense and he would have been back carrying George Wilson's bags again.

For all the people who say "hey, it's not Whitner's fault he was overdrafted, we should show him love" it is important to point out that he has never said he was....you know....... MAYBE not good enough to be drafted eighth overall. More importantly, he was quite determined to NOT take a paycut after his outlandish $6M per year rookie contract was up. Much of which he earned on the bench where he couldn't beat out an ex-street free agent...a slow footed ex-wide receiver named George Wilson. The point is, he absolutely did not concur with his apologists. In fact, he would probably slap the taste out your mouth if you went up to him and told him you always liked him as a player it's not his fault he wasn't worthy of being drafted so high. He was just drafted into the wrong SYSTEM, don't you see? A system without 6 or 7 oustanding players in the front...well...7. I really don't get the attempts at man-love for this guy. He was a big part of the problem when he was here AND he was a blowhard on top of that. He is a spare part and he would have never accepted that role here if he hadn't been humbled by the disinterest in him in free agency. He can eat a d*ck as far as I care and I normally don't care too much about player character.

Great post! :thumbsup:

Please never stop posting. :worthy::thumbsup:

Donte got his tonight! He was lil' Donte at his finest. Lot's of opportunities to make a play, and none made.

He is the total package in coverage: No range, no instincts in coverage, no ball skills, undersized with a small wingspan and he can't get off the ground to defend the high ball when he is even close enough too. But, he is a pro bowler!

Not taking a player such as Ngata over DW is more than a bad pick, it is simply weird! How do staffers come up with such an off the wall idea of making this caliber of player such a high draft choice when there were so many different reasonable drafting options? This type of inexplicable player evaluations wasn't an aberration for this clueless organization. Does one have to be a professional scout to not reallize that Fitz wasn't capable of being a franchise qb? Then making the claim that he is worth a generous contract because he has "proven" that you can build a winning team around this erratic player is not merely bad judgment but it is delusional. Look at the Maybin episode. He was a one year college wonder who garnered most of his fraudulent sack stats against a few weak sister opponents. How does a thin one trick pony player become such a prized prospect when there were other better choices such as Orakpo?

When you have an insular owner who has a proclivity for hiring incompetents you get what you should expect to get. I'm hoping that now that the owner is not involved there will be more rationality involved in the decision-making.

If Whitner had turned out into a Bob Sanders or a Polamalu then we are not having this conversation. DicK Jauron needed a enforcer kind of SS for his Tampa-2 and Ngata did not fit in his scheme of having a fast 4-3 DT. In hindsight did the pick go wrong..yes. But let us now kill them for their decision

If Whitner had turned out into a Bob Sanders or a Polamalu then we are not having this conversation. DicK Jauron needed a enforcer kind of SS for his Tampa-2 and Ngata did not fit in his scheme of having a fast 4-3 DT. In hindsight did the pick go wrong..yes. But let us now kill them for their decision

I'm pretty sure that this time the chalk was right-on. Nobody had Whitner pegged where the Bills took him because he was not an elite safety prospect. You didn't need the benefit of hindsight; this pick was questionable from the get-go. A safety like Whitner could have been had in the second round and, hell, that's where Sanders himself came from. Every observer knew that the Bills had trouble on both sides of the line. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have overpaid for schmoes like Dockery and Langston Walker during Marv's tenure.

He's average....had he been willing to take reasonable money he would still be here....the 49ers had a hole at strong safety so they where willing to pay him just to solidify a position and not use a draft pick on a safety or have to use one on a safety. Not at all what you want at #8 in the draft..had he been a 3rd round pick or later it would be a different story.

Any list that has George Wilson ranked at # 10 should not be used to debate any topic...he had a horrible year and wasn't even the best FS on the roster

I'm pretty sure that this time the chalk was right-on. Nobody had Whitner pegged where the Bills took him because he was not an elite safety prospect. You didn't need the benefit of hindsight; this pick was questionable from the get-go. A safety like Whitner could have been had in the second round and, hell, that's where Sanders himself came from. Every observer knew that the Bills had trouble on both sides of the line. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have overpaid for schmoes like Dockery and Langston Walker during Marv's tenure.

I don't believe so. The Dolphins were going to grab him at 13 as they did pick the next safety available in the 1st round. In fact three safeties went in the 1st round that year. How would have drafting of a player like Ngata over Whitner not hvae the Bills signing Dockery and Walker in the FA.

He's average....had he been willing to take reasonable money he would still be here....the 49ers had a hole at strong safety so they where willing to pay him just to solidify a position and not use a draft pick on a safety or have to use one on a safety. Not at all what you want at #8 in the draft..had he been a 3rd round pick or later it would be a different story.

Any list that has George Wilson ranked at # 10 should not be used to debate any topic...he had a horrible year and wasn't even the best FS on the roster

I believe he wanted to be out of here.