Donte Whitner 7th Worst Safety

Donte is the single biggest reason they lost. Not the only reason, but a BIG contributor. Maybe the worst 1st half ever played by a safety in SB history. I watched the game with my buddy who's a die hard niner fan. I always say ill root for the niners, but root against donte (because of his smack talking the bb after he left). I told him before the game, if Baltimore is smart and they target donte in the passing game, the niners are in trouble. Turned out to be the case to a tee.

I think the superbowl finally shut up all the "We should have never let 'lil donte leave" proponents for good. It was painful to watch him blow coverage after coverage, miss tackles, and get burned on TD passes. It seems like he was running around throwing shoulders at everyone close to, or after the play, and looked ridiculous.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know if it was sour grapes or what on my part,but i laughed and smiled when Lil Donte got lit up on the first 2 TD's.

The fact that it was the first two told me something. The Ravens watched film and saw that Whitner was a weakness. They exploited it early and often. they knew Donte could not cover and thus went right at him. That game should shut him up on tweets for awhile. Or maybe he will come out and blame the scheme like he did for Buffalo. Or maybe the 'fit' was not good for some reason last night like while he was in Buffalo.

OR maybe Whitner is a below average player on a very solid D? That is the only reason he got a pro bowl nod?

The game last night showed Marv was wrong to pick him at 8 and we should be glad he is not in Buffalo anymore!!!

Interesting views from 49ers fans on why they lost:

Donte S**tner

I thought our secondary turned in one of the worst performances in SB history.

Whitner was terrible in first half. Just plain awful.

Whitner is HORRIBLE in pass coverage.

Putrid safety play.

Reasons we lost:

1. Whitners first half coverage.

2. Mental mistakes.

3. Whitners first half coverage.

4. Not playing safeties deep.

5. Cully getting beat.

6. Whitners first half coverage.

7. The last 3 plays were just wtf.

8. Whitners first half coverage.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/170927-your-reasons-why-lost/

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/170944-defensive-thoughts/

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/170926-defensive-backfield-needs-major-overhaul/

It's not merely sour grapes from Bills fans.

The 49ers thought enough of the guy to bring him during free agency into their #3 defense in the NFL this year, and #4 defense last year. He was selected to the first team pro bowl, and did play in this years super bowl.

I just don't get the hate from some people. What does it say about the karma for this franchise when the fans literally spew constant hatred about a player who did his best in Buffalo given his circumstance?

Lets not forget that the Bills under Marv Levy just had just cut Lawyer Milloy, and were literally desperate for a safety. I'm not defending the pick or the player. But the Bills have been making stupid mistakes in every avenue of the franchise the last 13 years.

My disdain for Donte is in great part because was a really big part of the problem when he was here.....yet he takes no ownership for his part of the mess. In fact, he feels the need to toss those involved in his ridiculous 8th overall selection under the bus. Those very same fools that lavished him with a rookie contract that was worth $6M per year. Had he gone in round 2 he wouldn't have made as much in his career as he did in the first half of that rookie contract. They made him incredibly rich. Yet, he basically scapegoats the Bills for why he was such a disappointment.

He is really a VERY un-likeable character.

I normally don't care much about player character, but his loud mouth has always done nothing but pour salt in the wound of the horrendous draft pick. There have been a lot of outright draft busts by the Bills. Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin were very high picks that have done almost nothing. But AT LEAST the team was taking a chance at players that play the high impact, big dollar positions when the whiffed on those guys. To take an undersized SS with that pick and then have him turn into a "meh" player was every bit as disappointing.

Interesting views from 49ers fans on why they lost:

Donte S**tner

I thought our secondary turned in one of the worst performances in SB history.

Whitner was terrible in first half. Just plain awful.

Whitner is HORRIBLE in pass coverage.

Putrid safety play.

Reasons we lost:

1. Whitners first half coverage.

2. Mental mistakes.

3. Whitners first half coverage.

4. Not playing safeties deep.

5. Cully getting beat.

6. Whitners first half coverage.

7. The last 3 plays were just wtf.

8. Whitners first half coverage.

http://www.49erswebz...m/forum/niners/

http://www.49erswebz...asons-why-lost/

http://www.49erswebz...nsive-thoughts/

http://www.49erswebz...major-overhaul/

It's not merely sour grapes from Bills fans.

I do not think it is either.

The thing about Whitner is i believe him to be the classic 'look what we did guy'. When in fact he was not the contibuting factor to what got done. I would go as far to say Whitner got exposed last night for what he always was, a below average safety. Due to the great pass rush San Fran normally got all year he benefited. Last night the Ravens Oline played great for most of the game. Whitner can not cover. He got caught on many other plays making bad angles and not being anywhere near the hole.

Not sure he will be cut, but i can bet the 49ers go secondary early and often in the draft.

Not sure he will be cut, but i can bet the 49ers go secondary early and often in the draft.

They have big issues at receiver as well, but their secondary struggled last night. You put Reed, Byrd or Revis in that secondary and they win.

Edited by jeremy2020

I do not know if it was sour grapes or what on my part,but i laughed and smiled when Lil Donte got lit up on the first 2 TD's.

The fact that it was the first two told me something. The Ravens watched film and saw that Whitner was a weakness. They exploited it early and often. they knew Donte could not cover and thus went right at him. That game should shut him up on tweets for awhile. Or maybe he will come out and blame the scheme like he did for Buffalo. Or maybe the 'fit' was not good for some reason last night like while he was in Buffalo.

OR maybe Whitner is a below average player on a very solid D? That is the only reason he got a pro bowl nod?

The game last night showed Marv was wrong to pick him at 8 and we should be glad he is not in Buffalo anymore!!!

> Marv was wrong to pick him at 8

Fixed!

Donte is the single biggest reason they lost. Not the only reason, but a BIG contributor. Maybe the worst 1st half ever played by a safety in SB history. I watched the game with my buddy who's a die hard niner fan. I always say ill root for the niners, but root against donte (because of his smack talking the bb after he left). I told him before the game, if Baltimore is smart and they target donte in the passing game, the niners are in trouble. Turned out to be the case to a tee.

It was predictable that the combination of average cornerbacks and bad cover safeties like Whitner and Goldson would result in what we saw yesterday.

The defensive backfield is definitely the biggest and probably the only area of weakness for the Niners.

And it cost them the Super Bowl.

I don't like to keep talking about this guy, but he seems to rarely wrap-up tackle anyone, he just bumps them and expects them to fall. I noticed this a lot in the super bowl. What a shoddy way to play safety. Tackle the guy, fer chrissake!

The one wrap-up tackle I noticed from Whitner was the WR after he caught the touchdown. Then you wrap him up?

I don't like to keep talking about this guy, but he seems to rarely wrap-up tackle anyone, he just bumps them and expects them to fall. I noticed this a lot in the super bowl. What a shoddy way to play safety. Tackle the guy, fer chrissake!

The one wrap-up tackle I noticed from Whitner was the WR after he caught the touchdown. Then you wrap him up?

That's his repertoire.

1) HARD HIT!!!!!!1

2) Earn team tackles by being last on the pile

3) Get smoked by TE

4) Get caught in no man's land on a double-move

5) Miscommunication with teammate in defensive backfield (usually teammate's fault, but we're classy so we don't say that to everybody)

6) BUT DID YOU SEE THAT HARD HIT!!!!!?!!!1

http://nfl.si.com/2013/02/03/first-down-fourth-down-joe-flacco-anquan-boldin-carry-champion-ravens/?sct=uk_wr_a3

Fourth Down: Chris Culliver and Donte Whitner.

A week to forget for Culliver ended with a miserable Sunday. The Ravens consistently picked on the young 49ers’ defensive back, be it with Jones, Boldin or Torrey Smith.

Culliver never had a chance. He had plenty of chances to redeem himself too, including on a third down in the fourth quarter, right after San Francisco had pulled within two. There, he picked up a pass interference penalty, the icing on a cake of misery.

And Whitner did Culliver and his 49ers’ defensive teammates no favors. He found himself out of position all night. On Pitta’s touchdown catch, Whitner followed Flacco to the corner of the end zone, despite there being no Baltimore receivers out there — in the process leaving Pitta open. That deep TD to Jones also might be on Whitner’s shoulders — for some reason, he flew up on a short route on 3rd-and-10, vacating deep.

The NFL channel Playbook show showed that the Ravens picked on Whitner early and often.. They specifically showed how Whitner was the weak link and how the Ravens took advantage of him to win the game.. Ouch..

My disdain for Donte is in great part because was a really big part of the problem when he was here.....yet he takes no ownership for his part of the mess. In fact, he feels the need to toss those involved in his ridiculous 8th overall selection under the bus. Those very same fools that lavished him with a rookie contract that was worth $6M per year. Had he gone in round 2 he wouldn't have made as much in his career as he did in the first half of that rookie contract. They made him incredibly rich. Yet, he basically scapegoats the Bills for why he was such a disappointment.

He is really a VERY un-likeable character.

I normally don't care much about player character, but his loud mouth has always done nothing but pour salt in the wound of the horrendous draft pick. There have been a lot of outright draft busts by the Bills. Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin were very high picks that have done almost nothing. But AT LEAST the team was taking a chance at players that play the high impact, big dollar positions when the whiffed on those guys. To take an undersized SS with that pick and then have him turn into a "meh" player was every bit as disappointing.

Let's not forget his initial hold out, his domestic incident (he was innocent), or his incident with the police (they were mean to, and picking on him).