New gun control thread!

Oh c'mon, you mean you don't like that every law and regulation passed by Albany heavily favors NYC at the expense of upstate, or that what little resources we are allowed to generate are raped to benefit downstate?

My dad has been bitching about that for 50 years.

It isn't just "offended" gun owners, but "offended" citizens, who are fed up with a secretive, bullying legislative process, that claims to know whats best for the little people.

You think that they would have learned that in 2010.

A Famous Victory in Colorado : A grassroots effort delivered an unprecedented blow to gun-control advocates.

By Charles C. W. Cooke

Despite the media’s insistence that the Colorado recalls were the first skirmish in a new proxy war between the National Rifle Association and New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, the simple truth is that Tuesday’s stunning elections were prompted and won by forces on the ground. At the Stargazers Theatre last night, I sat with those forces as a famous victory unfolded. Speaking after Senator Morse conceded, the recall’s founder, Tim Knight, told the crowd that “you must own your freedom in order to protect and pass it on to your children.” He has spent the last few months doing just that.

Guns are a notoriously touchy subject in America — a supercharged third rail, if you will. But so too is the notion of accountability. The country was founded, after all, by men with guns grumbling about the nature of their political representation. It was in this proud tradition that the disgruntled banded together in Colorado to try to recall two sitting state senators who had not just voted to pass new restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms, but had steadfastly refused to listen to the opposition. The new gun laws, locals in both Colorado Springs and Pueblo told me repeatedly, were “the straw that broke the camel’s back.” Their more fundamental message: “Listen to me, goddamnit!”

{snip}

Nevertheless, by the end of the process, so anxious were the opponents of the recall that they felt compelled to rely heavily on Michael Bloomberg, who sent $350,000 to Colorado to fight the threat; members of Obama’s ground team were brought in to boost turnout, and even former president Bill Clinton was wheeled in at the last minute to try to tip the scales.

None of it worked. This was the recall that never supposed to happen — let alone be successful. The nine men who set the ball rolling weren’t supposed to be capable of organizing a town hall, let alone taking down the state-senate president. And yet they did it. Victor Head, a plumber who had never been politically active, took down a senator in a district that went Democratic in 2012 by ten points; a group of six concerned men from the AR15.com chat room removed the state’s top-ranking legislator. “We are a quiet people,” recall founder Tim Knight told his victorious friends when the results became known at the Stargazers Theater. “You may be tempted to ignore us. Clearly, that would be a mistake.”

Critics of what is colloquially described as the “gun lobby” have imagined a bogeyman that doesn’t exist, imputed false motives to earnest forces, and worried about the influence of outside money that was more than outmatched by opponents.

“Amateur hour?” Perhaps. But, as is proper in a republic, the amateurs were victorious.

While, predictably..................lol

DNC Head Blames NRA, Koch Brothers for Colorado-Recall Loss

Debbie Wasserman Schultz attributed the recall-election loss of two Democratic Colorado state senators last night to “voter suppression, pure and simple.”

“Tuesday’s low turnout was a result of efforts by the NRA, the Koch brothers, and other right-wing groups who know that when more people vote, Democrats win,” the Democratic National Committee chair said in a statement.

In fact, as Alec MacGillis points out in The New Republic, the anti-recall side had far more money than the pro-recall side, perhaps as much as 6:1 in favor of Morse and Giron.

Edited by B-Man

More from Dave Kopel.

“It’s one thing for a deliberately polarizing legislator like Morse to lose a close race in a swing district. It’s quite another for Giron to lose by 12 points in a district that is 47% Democratic and 23% Republican. One reason is that in blue collar districts like Pueblo, there are plenty of Democrats who cling to their Second Amendment rights. As the Denver Post noted, 20% of the voters who signed the Giron recall petitions were Democrats.”

Slow Learner: Wendy Davis Wants Double-Barreled Assault on Texans’ Gun Rights.

“The Texas Democrats of ‘white primary’ infamy are lining up behind state Sen. Wendy Davis of Fort Worth as she mulls a run for governor. Texas has not elected a Democrat governor since 1990, and has not elected any Democrat to any statewide office in a generation. One would think that the Democrats in Texas would take a lesson from its decades of defeat and moderate toward the middle. That doesn’t seem to be in the cards.”

Slow Learner: Wendy Davis Wants Double-Barreled Assault on Texans Gun Rights.

The Texas Democrats of 'white primary' infamy are lining up behind state Sen. Wendy Davis of Fort Worth as she mulls a run for governor. Texas has not elected a Democrat governor since 1990, and has not elected any Democrat to any statewide office in a generation. One would think that the Democrats in Texas would take a lesson from its decades of defeat and moderate toward the middle. That doesn't seem to be in the cards.

people forget that GW Bush won the election for Texas gov in 1994 over Ann Richards largely due to his support of the right to carry concealed firearms law.

Citizens need to stay alert,

HIGH SCHOOL TEXTBOOK rewrites the Second Amendment. As Horace Mann said, men are cast iron, but children are wax.

Anybody know which textbook this is? I’d like to publicize the names of the authors and publisher.

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/176105/

svgZ0E9.jpg

Pretty frightening how that is a blatant attempt to mislead and mold young impressionable minds.

The liberal indoctrination continues....

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE98H04N20130918?irpc=932

Starbucks asking customers to leave guns at home...not forcing them, just asking for customers to respect their request.

I don't like this, but I also don't have a problem with it. They are a business and if I don't like their policy or stance I will go somewhere else. Like....Timmy Ho's

It isn't just "offended" gun owners, but "offended" citizens, who are fed up with a secretive, bullying legislative process, that claims to know whats best for the little people.

You think that they would have learned that in 2010.

If only voters were as passionate about taxes, corruption, cronyism and the arrogance of elected office as they are about guns!

I don't understand why people actually buy that overpriced, bitter garbage. That is some terrible coffee.

I agree I can't stand it. Folks it's not hip or cool anymore. To me it's like wearing a sign that says "I'm dumb, I like getting ripped off and I have no taste buds."

Ok guys, if we can spend the next couple of pages debating coffe we CAN get this moved to OTW. Come on we can do it!

Edited by Chef Jim

Maybe it's my age and therefore lack of tastebuds - but I actually enjoy some Starbucks coffee. :blush:

However, in my defense I might add that it's my belief that most of the nimrods that line up to get their superfrackamochalatteexpressoohnowithadoubleshotofhazelnutsyrupandwhippedcreamontop would be better served going to a DairyQueen and getting their sweet gooey carbo rush there, because they're covering up the coffee with what amounts to a sundae. It's a Pepsi generation thang.

I don't understand why people actually buy that overpriced, bitter garbage. That is some terrible coffee.

http://www.benefitsp...aps-pr-benefits

I actually like their coffee, but I only like it black because I like to taste my coffee. They also treat their employees pretty well, evidenced by the recent news about the ACA and Starbucks reaction to the legislation.

The only other coffee I seek out and LOVE is Tim Hortons. Not nearly as strong, but just something about that **** is addicting.

Edited by B-Large

http://www.benefitsp...aps-pr-benefits

I actually like their coffee, but I only like it black because I like to taste my coffee. They also treat their employees pretty well, evidenced by the recent news about the ACA and Starbucks reaction to the legislation.

The only other coffee I seek out and LOVE is Tim Hortons. Not nearly as strong, but just something about that **** is addicting.

Why'd you have to bring up the ACA? We're trying to get this moved to OTW.

Way to stop progress :angry:

:lol: