New gun control thread!

Punch back twice as hard.................

Colorado Lawmakers Facing Recalls After Gun-Control Push

By Andrew Johnson

Earlier this year, the Colorado state legislature successfully passed some strict gun-control measures, but gun-rights advocates say the issue isn’t settled: They’re mounting recall campaigns against some legislators who voted for the bill, including one of the state’s highest-ranking lawmakers. State-senate president John Morse and at least three other Democrats are facing recalls in their respective districts.

Colorado was the only state outside of the East Coast to pass significant gun-control laws in the wake of the Newtown shooting, so both supporters and opponents believe the recalls could have national implications. Morse, for example, has already received $20,000 from America Votes, a national left-wing organization, to starve off the recall effort.

“People in other states that are further down this road, like New York and Massachusetts, are calling up and saying ‘What can we do to help?’” said one recall organizer. Another organizer called Colorado “the testing ground for some of the gun measures” that other states are watching.

Edited by B-Man

Sen. John Morse recalled: First Colorado legislative recall

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., June 3, 2013 — Petition signatures filed with the Colorado Secretary of State’s office are more than sufficient to recall state senator John Morse (D). The recall is the first recall of a Colorado legislator in the state’s history.

The Recall Morse committee filed over 16,000 signatures, more than double the required number

In his position as the senate president this past session, Morse coordinated the passage of anti-Second Amendment bills over massive citizen opposition.

The recall is not official until the Secretary of State’s office certifies that there are at least 7,178 valid signatures, or 25 percent of the number of ballots cast in the election that Morse won in 2010. Organizers of the recall effort are confident that they have more than enough signatures to withstand scrutiny.

Although the number of signatures invalidated varies, organizers of petition drives in Colorado usually aim for one-third more than the required minimum number, making the challenge of recall that much harder. The recall committee absolutely knocked it out of the park despite the odds.

The Recall Morse effort was 100 percent grassroots.

Rob Harris, the leader of the effort, has never been involved in politics before. What got him involved was Morse’s dismissive attitude towards an email he sent Morse about gun control laws. “He said it was abusive,” Harris says, “which it wasn’t.”

Refusal to listen to his constituents is par for the course for Morse, who on national television described how he counseled fellow senators to ignore their constituents’ email and calls and vote for the gun control bills.

That arrogant attitude was cited more than any other by people signing the recall petition. A large number of people signing the petition said they had voted for Morse and wanted to fix their mistake.

“We want a representative, not a ruler,” Harris said. “Morse has tried to be a ruler and we’re firing him.”

Harris wanted to make it clear that the recall effort, like the other three recalls going on in Colorado, was entirely a grassroots effort. The NRA didn’t sponsor the recall (although they did do one mailing on behalf the recall), nor did any organization with out-of-state money.

In state, no Colorado gun rights organization nor any political party backed the effort.

Politicians in Denver and Washington DC need to know that the majority of people involved in this effort have never been involved in politics before, said Harris. People were motivated and willing to put in 40-50 hours per week outside of their normal jobs to make sure their rights are protected.

The recall effort was barely on the radar of even local news organizations, so unlikely did it seem to them that it would succeed.

Read more: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/red-pill-blue-bill/2013/jun/3/sen-john-morse-recalled/#ixzz2VFy2fdm9

Follow us: @wtcommunities on Twitter

Was hoping I'd find a gun thread on the first page. Didn't want to start something new:

http://www.wvgazette...es/201305300071

great op ed...but why are you linking it? there's some pretty smart fellers in west virginia. that "war of northern aggression" stuff has largely faded in my experience but i like how he uses it as an example of misrepresenting the truth for ones own purposes. something the nra, sadly, does masterfully.

great op ed...but why are you linking it? there's some pretty smart fellers in west virginia. that "war of northern aggression" stuff has largely faded in my experience but i like how he uses it as an example of misrepresenting the truth for ones own purposes. something the nra, sadly, does masterfully.

west virginia was a union state, not a confederate state. and the author of that op ed.....a professor of journalism.....doesn't know the difference between 'cretan' and 'cretin'.

west virginia was a union state, not a confederate state. and the author of that op ed.....a professor of journalism.....doesn't know the difference between 'cretan' and 'cretin'.

doesn't matter whether it was union or rebel, historically. you'll see stars and bars flags in michigan if you look closely. there's plenty in west virginia.

doesn't matter whether it was union or rebel, historically. you'll see stars and bars flags in michigan if you look closely. there's plenty in west virginia.

you weren't trying to point out that some west virgianians may or may not have confederate flags. you were showing a prejudice toward west virginians, and one that was based on an incorrect assumption.

you weren't trying to point out that some west virgianians may or may not have confederate flags. you were showing a prejudice toward west virginians, and one that was based on an incorrect assumption.

wasn't showing prejudice towards west virginians i was disparaging the kind of person that uses the term "war of northern aggression". but if you want to continue to argue your chosen point, w virginia borders kentucky and virginia and is quite close to tennessee. there were people on both sides from all of those states in the civil war, regardless of the side their state legislators chose. so, yeah, there were confederate w virginians.

and, btw, in regards to the op ed, the displaying of the stars and bars and the possible reasons for doing so are quite relevant.

Edited by birdog1960

To call that a great op-ed only scratches the surface on what kind of moran you truly are.

i suppose if the author can misspell cretin, you're entitled to misspell moron.

Did you not know that spelling "moron" as "moran" has been a joke around here for some time? Also, my posting of the op-ed had nothing to do with me agreeing with the assmudgeon author.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blpic-moran.htm

Edited by 3rdnlng

wasn't showing prejudice towards west virginians i was disparaging the kind of person that uses the term "war of northern aggression". but if you want to continue to argue your chosen point, w virginia borders kentucky and virginia and is quite close to tennessee. there were people on both sides from all of those states in the civil war, regardless of the side their state legislators chose. so, yeah, there were confederate w virginians.

and, btw, in regards to the op ed, the displaying of the stars and bars and the possible reasons for doing so are quite relevant.

my chosen point was that your use of ' there's some pretty smart fellers in west virginia. that "war of northern aggression" stuff....' sounded extremely elitist and prejudicial, and was based on an incorrect assumption that west virginia is full of 'the south will rise again' good old boys.

gun control advocates can try to spin it or rationalize it any way they want, but there's no rationalizing the fact that they are advocating limiting a guaranteed constitutional liberty.

I live in Richmond, capital of the Confederacy, and I NEVER see the "Stars and Bars". Not trying to single you out Bird, but It's a pet peeve of mine when people call the modern version of the Confederate Battle flag/Naval Jack the "Stars and Bars"...

I live in Richmond, capital of the Confederacy, and I NEVER see the "Stars and Bars".

I lived deep in BFE, NC for over six years and never saw one. Ever.And the only people who used the words "war of northern aggression" were always laughing when they said it, right before they explained that the word "ah" has multiple uses in the south, such as "Ah think ah got somethin' in mah ah."

Edited by LABillzFan

It's actually better than just that. The journalism professor then attempts to respond to people in the comments section, and it doesn't go so well.

He certainly swindell's his students.

See what i did there?

That piece of **** was written by a journalism professor?

So jtsp's real name is christopher swindell?