New gun control thread!

Women of the NRA

For readers of a certain age, that might sound like the title of a Playboy article of the 1960s or 70s. But no: it is the NRA’s latest volley in its pro-gun rights campaign. It makes a lot of sense, too. Women are the fastest-growing demographic of gun purchasers, and manufacturers are increasingly catering to them with firearms designed specifically with women in mind. Ammunition makers, too: I recently saw, for the first time, a variety of ammunition marketed to women, with pink tipped cartridges and reduced recoil.

Gun rights are like a number of other issues where our culture pushes women to think in a monolithically liberal way. But, to put it mildly, the anti-gun forces do not speak for all women. The NRA’s new videos are here. The “NRA Women” campaign is jointly sponsored by Smith & Wesson, in another smart move. Here is the latest video; it is very good, I think:

By the way, it seems to be a little-known fact, but the AR-15 is very popular with women, in part because it is easy to adapt to a smaller frame.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/05/women-of-the-nra.php

It's about more than pink bullets. In this thread some of our progressive, enlightened posters say a shotgun is best for home defence, so we can go ahead and ban handguns[How very British of you to allow shotguns!]

But many woman simply can't handle the recoil of a shotgun. It hurts so they never use it, never get comfortable with it.

Case in point, my friends wife wanted a HD gun. Tiny thing, she would no more fire a shotgun then I would a 5 lb .50 BMG. So he bought her a .32 ACP. Now to the JT6P's out there, a semi auto pistol is a vile instrument of death with no redeeming value. But it makes her feel[and keeps her] protected.

It's about more than pink bullets. In this thread some of our progressive, enlightened posters say a shotgun is best for home defence, so we can go ahead and ban handguns[How very British of you to allow shotguns!]

But many woman simply can't handle the recoil of a shotgun. It hurts so they never use it, never get comfortable with it.

Case in point, my friends wife wanted a HD gun. Tiny thing, she would no more fire a shotgun then I would a 5 lb .50 BMG. So he bought her a .32 ACP. Now to the JT6P's out there, a semi auto pistol is a vile instrument of death with no redeeming value. But it makes her feel[and keeps her] protected.

semi automatic weapons are vile instruments of death with no redeeming value...couldn't have said it better myself. and if it's about home protection, i'd guess she'd be willing to nurse a bruised shoulder in exchange for turning back a bad guy threatening her home. hell, plenty of hunters do that for a few more birds. and yes, in general i'm an anglophile. just that the weather sucks there.

semi automatic weapons are vile instruments of death with no redeeming value...

So should your local city/state police departments spend money on purchasing something "with no redeeming value" for law enforcement officers?

semi automatic weapons are vile instruments of death with no redeeming value...couldn't have said it better myself. and if it's about home protection, i'd guess she'd be willing to nurse a bruised shoulder in exchange for turning back a bad guy threatening her home. hell, plenty of hunters do that for a few more birds. and yes, in general i'm an anglophile. just that the weather sucks there.

Do you realize that semi-automatic can also include shotguns?

Hell some HD shotguns hold more rounds than some.32 ACP's.

Do you realize that semi-automatic can also include shotguns?

Hell some HD shotguns hold more rounds than some.32 ACP's.

i assumed you knew that if i meant semi automatic weapons of any type i'd so specify. what a silly, ridiculous weapon for the general public to own. i suppose people buy them for really challenging triples on the skeet range or sporting clays track right? notice, i'm talking about the public and not law enforcement or the military, who actually have a need and reasonable purpose for these killing devices.

i assumed you knew that if i meant semi automatic weapons of any type i'd so specify. what a silly, ridiculous weapon for the general public to own. i suppose people buy them for really challenging triples on the skeet range or sporting clays track right? notice, i'm talking about the public and not law enforcement or the military, who actually have a need and reasonable purpose for these killing devices.

Completely ignoring the rest of the idiocy in your post, why do law enforcment need semi-automatic weapons?

You don't actually know what "semi-automatic" means, do you?

You don't actually know what "semi-automatic" means, do you?

that you pull the trigger for each shot and can't just hold it down to fire hundreds of rounds (automatic)...and what purpose would that type of weapon serve to the public? and tasker wants me to tell him why law enforcement needs such a weapon but fully supports the public having them. it's a fair assumptiopn that he believes they need them for the same reasons. i don't.

that you pull the trigger for each shot and can't just hold it down to fire hundreds of rounds (automatic)...and what purpose would that type of weapon serve to the public? and tasker wants me to tell him why law enforcement needs such a weapon but fully supports the public having them. it's a fair assumptiopn that he believes they need them for the same reasons. i don't.

Just curious...you're all for banning double-action revolvers then, too?

Tell me why you believe they need them.

Just curious...you're all for banning double-action revolvers then, too?

yeah, double barrell shotguns are just like semi automatic shotguns. one is reasonably useful for sporting activities and self defense (love that scene in " walk the line" with the carters and the drug dealer) and one is ridiculous. it's for armed revolt, riots and gun battles with sociopaths none of which do i believe the public should be involved in.

yeah, double barrell shotguns are just like semi automatic shotguns. one is reasonably useful for sporting activities and self defense (love that scene in " walk the line" with the carters and the drug dealer) and one is ridiculous. it's for armed revolt, riots and gun battles with sociopaths none of which do i believe the public should be involved in.

"DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS." !@#$head. :wallbash:

"DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS." !@#$head. :wallbash:

why confound the discussion with another subject we fully disagree on: handguns. and how did we get from semi automatic shotguns to double action revolvers. oh....cuz that's where you want to go to serve your argument even if it's totally divorced from the ongoing discussion.

Edited by birdog1960