New gun control thread!

It is when you're firing a 7.9mm round. (That was before shaped charges, too). Look up the German 28mm sPzB. Called a "heavy anti-tank rifle" ("schwere Panzerbuechse"), it was more a small anti-tank gun with a squeeze-bore (28mm cartridge, but the barrel tapered from 28mm at the breech to 20mm at the muzzle) with a muzzle velocity somewhere between "insane" and "ridiculous". Something like 4800 feet per second. As I recall, the technology was first used in a mid-war high-velocity elephant gun, too. I forget the maker...something like "Hammlich".

Interesting round, the 28 appears to use a sabot enclosed small caliber projectile. Not sure why the tapered bore was necessary.

Side note on the common phrase "elephant rifle." It generally is used to depict a insanely large gun, but Karamojo Bell used a .275 Rigby [AKA 7x57] to kill 1000+ elephants. Barely adequate for deer by some thinking.

The more I think about this the more I'm coming to the center in the gun control argument. Rather than limiting clip sizes and getting rid of guns that some people think are "scary" just pass the back round check legislation? Make sure the person buying it isn't a criminal, or mentally unstable, or not buying a gun every week and it really doesn't matter what people are carrying.

But then again, you might accidentally shoot off your dick like that one guy did once. Based on that you could argue that if you allow the populous at large to have guns you're putting dicks at risk.

It's always about you.

Interesting round, the 28 appears to use a sabot enclosed small caliber projectile. Not sure why the tapered bore was necessary.

Side note on the common phrase "elephant rifle." It generally is used to depict a insanely large gun, but Karamojo Bell used a .275 Rigby [AKA 7x57] to kill 1000+ elephants. Barely adequate for deer by some thinking.

It's always about you.

Take it easy on him. He has the unique ability to "f" everything up. Maybe we can get him embedded in the DNC? What's another idiot?

take away drudge and obscure nut job far right blogger references and 75+% of ppp posts suddenly become moderate or progressive.

Drudge is links to stories. A brief visit this morning has story links to CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, CNBC, several British papers, USA Today, Bloomberg, WSJ, So, I guess what your saying is that people who visit Drudge get their news from too many different sources?

Drudge is links to stories. A brief visit this morning has story links to CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, CNBC, several British papers, USA Today, Bloomberg, WSJ, So, I guess what your saying is that people who visit Drudge get their news from too many different sources?

drudge selectively links to stories with a conservative agenda regardless of source. it's the echo chamber at it's worst. before the election, if drudge was your only source you'd have been shocked by the actual election results. oh wait... brietbart gets a disproportionate amount of play. ever seen drudge link to npr or pbs? are there not well researched stories coming out of them?

drudge selectively links to stories with a conservative agenda regardless of source. it's the echo chamber at it's worst. before the election, if drudge was your only source you'd have been shocked by the actual election results. oh wait... brietbart gets a disproportionate amount of play. ever seen drudge link to npr or pbs? are there not well researched stories coming out of them?

Yes, I've seen Drudge link to NPR, PBS and even Huffington Post. When I see it in the future, I'll be sure to point it out to you.

bd, this is absolutely false.

Drudge is a mirror of the media. Period. You'd think an Obama loving liberal would quickly recognize the line Drudge draws between imply and infer. They post a story from every imaginable source -- from the farthest left to the farthest right and everything in between, give is a headline, and the rest is up to you. If you are don't like what you see, is that really Drudge's doing...or yours?

You have to believe being a liberal was MUCH easier before the internet there to show everyone how ridiculous they sound.

But a statistamagical study by leading scientisicians with Masters Degree's in Sociotechmology show a correlation in Drudge stories and Heresy. There's a consensus and everything

We haven't had this much fun with a (*^*&%^$^#since 3.5. :lol:

It wasn't quite a sabot, it was a soft metal case or flange (not sure which, in this case) that got squeezed by the taper. The progressive reduction in bore meant more consistent pressure was maintained throughout the barrel, and a greater force on the projectile, giving it an ultra-high velocity.

Germans did the same thing with other calibers - a 75mm that squeezed the round down to 50mm or something (forget the exact specs) with a collar mid-way down the barrel rather than a taper. Very effective, until they ran low on tungsten carbide and had to choose between "machine tools" and "throwing it away on the battlefield".

But WDM Bell was an absolute freak of a shot. He'd kill elephants regularly with a virtually impossible reverse brain shot. Hell, hunting pheasant, he'd use the Rigby and do better than most hunters would do with a shotgun. Lots of ivory hunters died trying to pretend they were him.

Then, of course, on the other end of the scale you have Samuel Baker's "Baby". A 2-bore that used 270 grains of powder.

Drudge is a mirror of the media. Period. You'd think an Obama loving liberal would quickly recognize the line Drudge draws between imply and infer. They post a story from every imaginable source -- from the farthest left to the farthest right and everything in between, give is a headline, and the rest is up to you. If you are don't like what you see, is that really Drudge's doing...or yours?

You have to believe being a liberal was MUCH easier before the internet there to show everyone how ridiculous they sound.

you can't be serious. how many stories have you seen linked to drudge advancing liberal arguments about gun control? immigration reform? socialized medicine? against for profit medicine (e.g. the bray article discussed here), environmental concerns on pipelines or fracking or in general, growing wealth disparity, growing impoverished population (except in regards to where blame can be reasonably or unreasonably assigned to liberals) etc... he has every right to link to articles supporting his general ideology and agenda. but to believe you're getting a cross section of viewpoints on major topics by reading his linked articles is self deceptive.

but to believe you're getting a cross section of viewpoints on major topics by reading his linked articles is self deceptive.

I never said he was offering a cross section of viewpoints, only that he links to stories written by the left and the right. That the stories from the left end of the spectrum are embarrassing to the left is, well, you know, open to interpretation.

you can't be serious. how many stories have you seen linked to drudge advancing liberal arguments about gun control? immigration reform? socialized medicine? against for profit medicine (e.g. the bray article discussed here), environmental concerns on pipelines or fracking or in general, growing wealth disparity, growing impoverished population (except in regards to where blame can be reasonably or unreasonably assigned to liberals) etc... he has every right to link to articles supporting his general ideology and agenda. but to believe you're getting a cross section of viewpoints on major topics by reading his linked articles is self deceptive.

No one denies that Drudge reinforces right wing confirmation bias but you get the same crap from the lefty sites.

You know what you're getting when you open that site.

It wasn't quite a sabot, it was a soft metal case or flange (not sure which, in this case) that got squeezed by the taper. The progressive reduction in bore meant more consistent pressure was maintained throughout the barrel, and a greater force on the projectile, giving it an ultra-high velocity.

Germans did the same thing with other calibers - a 75mm that squeezed the round down to 50mm or something (forget the exact specs) with a collar mid-way down the barrel rather than a taper. Very effective, until they ran low on tungsten carbide and had to choose between "machine tools" and "throwing it away on the battlefield".

But WDM Bell was an absolute freak of a shot. He'd kill elephants regularly with a virtually impossible reverse brain shot. Hell, hunting pheasant, he'd use the Rigby and do better than most hunters would do with a shotgun. Lots of ivory hunters died trying to pretend they were him.

Then, of course, on the other end of the scale you have Samuel Baker's "Baby". A 2-bore that used 270 grains of powder.

Interesting concept with the taper bore. Wonder how many barrels they blew up getting the powder charge right.

I would rather get trampled by a elephant then fire one of Bells gun's.

Interesting concept with the taper bore. Wonder how many barrels they blew up getting the powder charge right.

Probably more than a few. Although the principle was well-studied by then, the gun was manufactured by Mauser, who didn't have a lot of experience building guns of that caliber (compared to Krupp or Rheinmetall). Funny...I've got four different books here that talk about it, but not one discusses development aside from "Made by Mauser" and "based on Gerlich's taper-bore principle in his hunting rifles."

I would rather get trampled by a elephant then fire one of Bells gun's.

Bell's, or Baker's? I'd fire a .275 - though not at an elephant (I wouldn't shoot anything at an elephant, frankly - me vs. elephant is not a fair fight. The elephant would win). I wouldn't fire Baker's 2-bore for anything - the recoil itself would probably kill me from hydrostatic shock.

Probably more than a few. Although the principle was well-studied by then, the gun was manufactured by Mauser, who didn't have a lot of experience building guns of that caliber (compared to Krupp or Rheinmetall). Funny...I've got four different books here that talk about it, but not one discusses development aside from "Made by Mauser" and "based on Gerlich's taper-bore principle in his hunting rifles."

Bell's, or Baker's? I'd fire a .275 - though not at an elephant (I wouldn't shoot anything at an elephant, frankly - me vs. elephant is not a fair fight. The elephant would win). I wouldn't fire Baker's 2-bore for anything - the recoil itself would probably kill me from hydrostatic shock.

Oops meant Baker's. I have no desire to fire a rifle throwing 1/2 pound of lead.

54 of Colorado’s 64 County Sheriffs Sue State over Gun-Control Law

Colorado passed some of the nation’s strictest gun-control measures earlier this year, and 54 of the state’s 64 country sheriffs have joined onto a lawsuit that attempts to block them.

The suit, which is being led by the Independence Institute, challenges Colorado’s ban on magazines of more than 15 rounds and the requirement for background checks on all private gun sales.

“These bills do absolutely nothing to make Colorado a safer place to live, to work, to play or to raise a family,” Weld County Sheriff John Cooke said at a press conference on Friday. ”Instead these misguided, unconstitutional bills will have the opposite effect because they greatly restrict the right of decent, law-abiding citizens to defend themselves, their families and their homes.”

The sheriffs, who are elected in the state of Colorado, raised concerns about how the new laws infringe on Second Amendment rights, citing D.C. v. Heller, and questioned how they could be feasibly enforced.

Edited by B-Man

Note to Biden; this is how you do it.

http://www.wyff4.com...iz/-/index.html

MARSHVILLE, N.C. —Union County deputies say a 25-year-old man was killed after he broke into a home in Marshville.

Investigators said Robby Blount kicked in the door of the home around 1 a.m. Thursday, wearing a mask and waving a gun.

Deputies said a woman and her son were in the home. One of them called 911, while the other got a shotgun and shot Blount once in the chest, killing him.

Investigators have not yet identified the woman or her son, nor said which one fired the fatal shot.

The Union County Sheriff's Office will consult with prosecutors to see if any charges should be filed.

Blount is the seventh person killed by someone else in and around Marshville in the past year.