New gun control thread!

Because they where thought of decades ago and dismissed as useless and impractical. And they still are.

references to real life experiences? the only one i can find is switzerland which has had a taggant program for 20 years. they must find it useful....could it be that opposition comes not from ideologic reasons but from economic ones?

references to real life experiences? the only one i can find is switzerland which has had a taggant program for 20 years. they must find it useful....could it be that opposition comes not from ideologic reasons but from economic ones?

Could it be that the support comes from economic reasons?

Could it be that the support comes from economic reasons?

seems strange that much of the support comes from this without an economic interest and the opposition comes from those with one. follow the money is generally a good investigative plan...so, no, i think it unlikely.

Five sad pictures from today’s anti-NRA March

I swung by the Stop the NRA March this afternoon to watch the protest and march against gun violence. I was late, but caught two of the speeches before the crowd started marching.

Participating organizations include Public Campaign, Occupy the NRA, CREDO, Every Child Matters, Moveon, United For Change, USA, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, The Other 98%, and We Act Radio.

As Buzzfeed’s Evan McMorris-Santoro noted earlier this morning, the event featured the debut of a new anti-NRA poster created by Shepard Fairey – the designer of the famous Obama ‘Hope’ poster.

A generous estimation of the crowd size would have been about 100 people, including members of the media.

r620-f103f62f4de9523cc744994a0f53f5e2.jpg

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2528129?slideout=1

I swung by the Stop the NRA March this afternoon to watch the protest and march against gun violence. I was late, but caught two of the speeches before the crowd started marching.

Participating organizations include Public Campaign, Occupy the NRA, CREDO, Every Child Matters, Moveon, United For Change, USA, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, The Other 98%, and We Act Radio.

As Buzzfeed’s Evan McMorris-Santoro noted earlier this morning, the event featured the debut of a new anti-NRA poster created by Shepard Fairey – the designer of the famous Obama ‘Hope’ poster.

A generous estimation of the crowd size would have been about 100 people, including members of the media.

http://washingtonexa...8129?slideout=1

Damn, hope they have a "park permit"

seems strange that much of the support comes from this without an economic interest and the opposition comes from those with one. follow the money is generally a good investigative plan...so, no, i think it unlikely.

Really?

Let's say you come up with a kid's drink. You sell it to me as a healthy option for children to drink. I in turn get laws passed that mandate that your drink is given to every child in every school cafeteria.

You don't think money is a driving force behind that? We were both in it for the kids? Really?

Really?

Let's say you come up with a kid's drink. You sell it to me as a healthy option for children to drink. I in turn get laws passed that mandate that your drink is given to every child in every school cafeteria.

You don't think money is a driving force behind that? We were both in it for the kids? Really?

and who do you think is the bigger lobbying force? the sole producer of taggants or the explosives or firearm industry? the people i hear talking about this don't stand to make money on this if it were implemented (i certainly don't). the people opposing it almost universally stand to lose. but why not limit the discussion to its potential effect on terrorism? where is the evidence that it won't help? there is some evidence in switerland that it does. apparently a us gov't study concluded it could be quite beneficial. what are the noneconomic arguments against it? why, specifically, is the nra against it if not for economic reasons since they seem so concerned with the publics safety?

http://washingtonexa...8129?slideout=1

McPherson Square? What'd they do with all the homeless people?

Great line from the comments section: "I've seen more people waiting in line to buy ammo."

:worthy: awesome line, and true

Awhile back I was at a gun store and a Best Buy® on the same day, and I think there were more people at the gun store. At least one part of the economy is booming

McPherson Square? What'd they do with all the homeless people?

Soylent Green

Houston schools cancel NRA safety program after discovering NRA connection?

That darned NRA — hiding its involvement in gun-safety programs! The Houston Chronicle reports that two schools in the city were shocked, shocked to discover that Eddie Eagle’s child-oriented firearms safety presentation were backed by the NRA, and canceled the program after the NRA had issued a press release noting the presentation:

An elementary school and a preschool in Houston ISD have canceled gun-safety presentations for their young students over concerns that the National Rifle Association crafted the lessons.

A spokesman for the Houston Independent School District said Tuesday that the principals of Peck Elementary and the
did not know the NRA was behind the program.

“The principals made a decision they didn’t want to participate in an event that folks could perceive as them taking a position one way or another on the gun control debate or any other debate the NRA is involved in,” HISD spokesman Jason Spencer said.

The NRA sent out a news release touting its safety presentations at the two schools, which were scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, in advance of the gun group’s annual meeting in Houston.

So did the NRA deviously hide its sponsorship of Eddie Eagle in order to sandbag Peck and MLKECC? If so, then they’re even more devious than anyone thinks. KTRH in Houston has the audio from a broadcast yesterday in which Peck principal Carlotta Brown appeared on air with an NRA spokesman to express her delight in presenting the program to her students:

When the visit was scheduled, Peck Principal Carlotta Brown told Houston’s Morning News she was excited to have the program talk to the kids.

“We are so elated to have the program in our school,” Brown told KTRH’s Matt Patrick Tuesday on Houston’s Morning News during a discussion with Matt and and NRA Community Outreach Program representative Eric Lipp.

In fact, Patrick explicitly asked her whether the NRA’s involvement was causing her any problems:

Brown was asked by Houston’s Morning News if she was taking heat for inviting the NRA in the first place.

“That’s not been the case in my school. It’s very important that we enlighten the school,” Brown said.

She might have been happy then but a few hours later the school cancelled the visit. An HISD spokesman said the school didn’t know Eddie Eagle was connected to the NRA. Ray Hunt of the Houston Police Officer’s Union

“It was clear she knew who was putting it on and she was elated with it. Somebody got in touch with her, I believe, and told her she wasn’t going to do it because it was connected with the NRA,” Hunt said.

It’s also clear that the public school district is being dishonest about the reason for the cancellation. The NRA’s Eddie Eagle program isn’t designed to sell guns, it’s designed to promote awareness and safety for children if they are around guns. It is an example of responsible stewardship by the NRA, and canceling the program does nothing but keep children ignorant of how to act safely.

Is that the core business of public schools — keeping children ignorant?

http://hotair.com/ar...nra-connection/

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

Edited by B-Man

Women of the NRA

For readers of a certain age, that might sound like the title of a Playboy article of the 1960s or 70s. But no: it is the NRA’s latest volley in its pro-gun rights campaign. It makes a lot of sense, too. Women are the fastest-growing demographic of gun purchasers, and manufacturers are increasingly catering to them with firearms designed specifically with women in mind. Ammunition makers, too: I recently saw, for the first time, a variety of ammunition marketed to women, with pink tipped cartridges and reduced recoil.

Gun rights are like a number of other issues where our culture pushes women to think in a monolithically liberal way. But, to put it mildly, the anti-gun forces do not speak for all women. The NRA’s new videos are here. The “NRA Women” campaign is jointly sponsored by Smith & Wesson, in another smart move. Here is the latest video; it is very good, I think:

By the way, it seems to be a little-known fact, but the AR-15 is very popular with women, in part because it is easy to adapt to a smaller frame.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/05/women-of-the-nra.php