Blizzard of '77 - 36 Years Ago Today - Where Were You?

ChevyVanMiller

I was in the 8th grade in Niagara Falls. Parents both got snowed in at work, did not come home for two days. Yes we had power, think we played outside for a bit, but did have have the great clothes they have today to keep warm. We watched a butt load of TV i am sure. Also remember my bad influence of a brother got me to drink a few beers for the first time, and it has been downhill ever since.

Think we started shoveling driveways for $5 bucks (for two kids) on Monday, kept going everyday for the week

I was in parish school, and I do not remember having to make up the time. But my sister was a senior at LaSalle, and if I remember correctly they went to school until July 2nd, and graduated on July 3rd.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a Junior in high school, I remember our 66 Mustang was left near the skyway by my brother, who could not get any further. Watching tv I swear we saw it get upended when they showed the huge National Guard plows going through the area. I remember having the week or two off and no stores were open at all. We were all going crazy with nothing to do except shovel or watch TV.

I was a senior in high school. They let us out early to get home before the storm. I made it to my brothers house and drank beer for a few days with him. When I made it home I remember walking over snow drifts and tripping over phone and power lines. The drifts were 25 to 30 feet high. The base depth was at least 8 feet deep, street signs barely poked above the snow level. Our house was completely covered, you could walk over top the house on the snow. It was great, off school for two weeks.

A strange side note to the Blizzard is that many people equate it with the first ever TV mini-series, "Roots," as it made it's debut when most people were shut in with nothing else to do, but watch TV.

Yep. That is one thing I remember most is being off of school all week and watching Roots.

I was 7 1/2 and for some reason don't really remember the start to the day, but I do know my dad (who worked downtown) had to sleep in his office overnight and didn't get home until the next day.

I recall the enormity of the drifts, and the howling wind. Built some really freaking cool snow caves, though.

A strange side note to the Blizzard is that many people equate it with the first ever TV mini-series, "Roots," as it made it's debut when most people were shut in with nothing else to do, but watch TV.

So not to be a ass, But i will be anyway, I did not remember this. Cause I remember watching Roots with my parents, and like I said parents were not home. Look up air dates, and Roots debut on the 23rd and concluded on the 30th. So the last couple episodes i guess were on during the Blizzard...i really do not remember that! 100 Million people a night watching , only the Super Bowl gets that now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(TV_miniseries)

This is a great fact. Isn't Roots like one of the most-watched miniseries of all time? Might be because everyone was stuck at home.

(As an aside, I just saw it again last month, and it is a great miniseries!).

I've been Googlé-ing. I can't find these pictures ya'llspeak of about snow plows and military stuff. Could someone give me a few links on what machines were there?

Id heard from family Toronto sent stuff, as well as other parts of Canada, including flaming sewer thawing devices.

Edited by jboyst62

I was in first grade at Gardenville in West Seneca. We actually went to school that day. The snow came so fast- we got snowed in. They opened up the cafeteria for dinner. And I slept on my classroom floor with my nap rug. I was awoken in the middle of the night by a teacher- and some stranger loaded their car up with me and a few kids and drove us home in the blizzard. I got dropped off at the end of my road, and had a couple block walk home. I remember it dumping snow, and being blown side to side from the winds. I stayed outside as long as I could trying to savor the storm. But I was tired and headed home after awhile. I will always remember that late night walk in those conditions!

Hey Pete where did you live?... I went to Northwood for elementary school... My older sister and brother went to Gardenville before Northwood was built and opened in 1972.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread how my father wanted to watch it but got stuck @ Forks on Broadway. I will just leave it at this: the TV @ the fire hall didn't get tuned to it! My father wasn't happy.

maplewood street in West Seneca

That is right off of Clinton by Forest/Meadow Drive and Lowell Lane... Right? Why would you have gone to Gardenville elementary after Northwood opened? You must have been right on the border? When did Gardenville close? We we off of French @ Judith/Theresa. Wow... Really close! Did you got West Jr./Sr.?

That is right off of Clinton by Forest/Meadow Drive and Lowell Lane... Right? Why would you have gone to Gardenville elementary after Northwood opened? You must have been right on the border? When did Gardenville close? We we off of French @ Judith/Theresa. Wow... Really close! Did you got West Jr./Sr.?

Gardenville closed shortly after I moved (I was in the 5th grade)1979. I was young, so my memory is rusty, but I was right off Clinton. Not sure why I went to Gardenville. I do recall living right by the high school (West I believe). So you were almost my neighbor, eh? I often wonder if I went to elementary school with any TBDers

Gardenville closed shortly after I moved (I was in the 5th grade)1979. I was young, so my memory is rusty, but I was right off Clinton. Not sure why I went to Gardenville. I do recall living right by the high school (West I believe). So you were almost my neighbor, eh? I often wonder if I went to elementary school with any TBDers

Yep... That is cool... Small world! Even if this is a Bills board! My father is still there! You moved out early or we probably might have known each other. Again my older sister and brother went to Gardenville before Northwood was ready... I suppose the whole area now goes to (well since 1979) to Northwood! Are you Catholic? If so, was 14 Holy Helpers your church? Actually, that area there is the Hamlet of Ebenezer... That is where the Amana's were first before moving to Iowa...