Buddy Nix and addressing the QB position

Information and draft status also comes in a lot of mysterious ways.

http://blog.sfgate.c...ernick-in-2011/

While I admire Harbaugh and this "diamond in the rough" story...On the other hand, a complete amateur could have tuned into NFL Network before the 2011 Draft and heard Charles Davis say repeatedly that in 2-3 years Kaepernick would be the best QB from that Draft... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say it was the right way to do it, just noting that it was not ignored.

No, I'm specifically talking about the short and long term starting QB position, and I think that's what this thread is about. That specific position was almost 100% ignored. The only moves Nix has made that addressed the starting QB (whether competition or outright replacement) were cutting Trent Edwards and giving Ryan Fitzpatrick a contract extension. In terms of acquiring new players to compete for the starting job now or down the road, he has done nothing. (You could argue that Levi Brown was supposed to "develop" into a guy who could push for the starting job, but that's a really weak argument.)

My personal opinion is, the way Buddy Nix has handled the QB situation on the Bills is one of the worst performances (or lack there of) by any GM in Bills history. It didn't take an NFL GM with years of experience to realize that Fitz wasn't the answer at QB, in fact a kindergartner could have told him that. To not address the situation last season, when it was the strongest QB draft class in years, free agents available, trades available and wait until this year when it is just the opposite, worst in years, and say they have to get a QB is a crime. How he still has his job after his first 3 years is a mystery.

You are mostly correct, but you can criticize a GM when he totally ignores the most important position on the team-QB. Obviously this team had holes, and many of them which couldn't be filled in one year (although there are still many after 3 years), but to ignore the QB position-no excuse.

Lets not forget that midway thru this season Buddy Nix endorsed his choice for HC by stating that he would be the Buffalo Bills HC for 2013 and probably longer. That he felt Gailey was one of the best offensive minds in the NFL.

I have no idea why Russ Brandon feels that Buddy Nix will be able to find him the "elite" franchise QB this team has been so desperate for since Jim Kelly (1995) Perhaps its just as a figurehead GM to allow him to bow out gracefully after this years draft. I have no idea what he has done in Buffalo to deserve that sort of treatment, unless it was a decision from the owner who chose Buddy Nix to begin with. Hopefully Doug Marrone has an eye for talent, and will find the right QB.

No, I'm specifically talking about the short and long term starting QB position, and I think that's what this thread is about. That specific position was almost 100% ignored. The only moves Nix has made that addressed the starting QB (whether competition or outright replacement) were cutting Trent Edwards and giving Ryan Fitzpatrick a contract extension. In terms of acquiring new players to compete for the starting job now or down the road, he has done nothing. (You could argue that Levi Brown was supposed to "develop" into a guy who could push for the starting job, but that's a really weak argument.)

Agreed...It was made CRYSTAL clear that VY was coming to compete for the back-up position ONLY..This is AFTER Fitz posts individual game QB ratings of 51.9, 46.6, 45.8, 31.0, 72.6, 78.6, and 60.7 over the last 9 games of the 2011 Season...So even then Nix was steadfast in not bringing in competition for Fitz...Even after that terrible second half of 2011, by a 7th Rd. journeyman QB out of Harvard Nix stood his ground... :doh:

My sentiment on Nix and the QB position is very simple:

- He said from the beginning that he wanted to draft an "8 to 10 year guy"

- He also said that he felt that the team had too many needs to waste a high pick on a guy that he didn't feel could be an 8 to 10 year guy

- He's consistently stuck to that philosophy, for better or for worse

He hasn't addressed the QB position; that much is very, very clear. The mistake lies, quite simply, in his poor evaluation of 3 prospects in particular: Dalton, Kaepernick, and Wilson. Clearly, he didn't feel that those were franchise QBs. He was evidently wrong. I understand his logic, but that doesn't mean I agree with what he did. At the time, the only guy I was excited about was Kaepernick, because he seemed to fit what Gailey wanted to do with this offense perfectly. I was upset they passed on him, but I never thought he'd be this good.

I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Did anyone else hear John Murphy tell Bulldog today on WGR that Marrone was at the SB pratices Tuesday but was now back in Buffalo meeting with his staff concerning the current roster?

Should he not be in Mobile watching practices like Sean Payton and other real NFL coaches?

I'm sure their isn't a camera at all in the state of Alabama

Those are letters and punctuation. Not numbers.

Give me a break. Buddy Nix has failed because of his drafting and personnel decisions. Money support from the owner and organization are not the reasons for the team's terrible record during his tenure. I don't recall a player he let go because of money. If you believe otherwise then that is your prerogative.

We had Brian Brohm, a former 2nd round pick on our roster year one, he failed, Levi Brown was drafted, failed, Thigpen had played for Gailey but he didnt work out and then he brought in VY, that didnt work and they broght Tjax in. Clearly none of these worked but I hardly call it "ignoring" the position

Vince Young was or should ve been number 2 hands down but they did not want the problem which would ve saved gaileys job !

Buddy is literally the anti-analytics GM in that Buddy will throw out "facts" that are actually incorrect...But he says things in such an assured way that one might believe he's looked it up...Or at least assume he knows he's right...So he rarely gets called out for it...

Example...

Q: In a head coach, last time you had wanted someone who was a head coach before. Is that still the case?

Buddy Nix: I think the percentages of being successful is higher in a guy that has done it, but we are not going to limit that. We are going to be open-minded. It might be a college guy. It might be a coordinator. We are going to try to just make sure we get the best guy.

Well Buddy...Not so much...8 out of the 12 Playoff Head Coaches in 2012 did so with the teams that made them an NFL HC for the 1st time...3 of the last 4 SB winning Head Coaches were in their first stint as an NFL Head Coach...So...

Buddy just says stuff... B-)

So that bodes well for the hiring of Marrone then, right???

T. Jackson was so impressive that Gailey didn't even dress him. Sometimes one's talent is so hidden that no one can find it. My basic point in my comments is that the collection of qbs during Nix's prior three year stint was not only dismal, but it was embarrassing.

It's not surprising that wherever Jackson started the organization he played for looked for a replacement. Mediocrity is mediocrity!

And Chan was so good and getting the most out of his talent that he went 16-32 over 3 years and was fired.

Lets look at the QB drafts the last three years since Nix has been here:

2010:

1st round Bradford - hardly has staked his claim as St. Louis has their quarterback

Tebow

2nd round Clausen - bust

3rd round McCoy - woops

4th round Mike Kafaka

5th round John Skilton

Jonathon Crompton

6th round Rusty Smith

Dan LeFevour

Joe Webb

Tony Pike

7th round Levi Brown

Sean Confield

Zac Robinson

who from that pile of crap was Buddy suppose to turn into a franchise guy ? Tebow is the second most successful of the group

2011:

1st round Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Christian Ponder

-all three have still not answered the quarterback of the future questions

2nd round Andy Dalton - I actually like Dalton but you have to build a team around him, with an armada defense

Colin Kaepernick - might have something, then again he could be a 22 td 16 interception guy in 3 yrs who doesn't run anymore. Although I like him he's played 8 regular season games. 49ers taking him at no risk already had Alex Smith if he flames out no one notices, on a talented team with few holes a luxury pick that might work out.

3rd round Ryan Mallet - as they say with back ups - he's great unless you have to play him

5th round Ricky Stanzi

TJ Yates

Nathan Enderle

7th round Greg McElroy

another year full of franchise quarterback we didn't take

2012:

1st round Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin

Ryan Tannehill

2nd round Brandon Weeden

Osweiler

3rd round Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

4th round Kirk Cousins

6th round Ryan Lindley

7th round BJ Coleman

Chandler Harnish

no chance to get luck or RG III, Tannehill is a maybe, Weeden will be 30 next year, Russell Wilson is possible he's fun to watch but they win with Lynch and D. Wilson was under the 200 yard passing barrier 9 times, Cousins is almost up to 50 attempts and some have seen enough

so three years in we have Luck RG III, Bradford we had virtually no chance to get and a pile of crap after that which is why 95% of the league is looking for a quarterback. 2009 you had Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Pat White, Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Jason McCourty- - - stafford if your judging by fantasy he lead the league in attempts by 100 but more teams hoping and finding out nope

Edited by CardinalScotts

2010:

1st round Bradford - hardly has staked his claim as St. Louis has their quarterback

Tebow

2nd round Clausen - bust

3rd round McCoy - woops

4th round Mike Kafaka

5th round John Skilton

Jonathon Crompton

6th round Rusty Smith

Dan LeFevour

Joe Webb

Tony Pike

7th round Levi Brown

Sean Confield

Zac Robinson

who from that pile of crap was Buddy suppose to turn into a franchise guy ? Tebow is the second most successful of the group

2011:

1st round Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Christian Ponder

2nd round Andy Dalton - I actually like Dalton but you have to build a team around him, with an armada defense

Colin Kaepernick - might have something, then again he could be a 22 td 16 interception guy in 3 yrs who doesn't run anymore. Although I like him he's played 8 regular season games. 49ers taking him at no risk already had Alex Smith if he flames out no one notices, on a talented team with few holes a luxury pick that might work out.

3rd round Ryan Mallet - as they say with back ups - he's great unless you have to play him

5th round Ricky Stanzi

TJ Yates

Nathan Enderle

7th round Greg McElroy

2012:

1st round Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin

Ryan Tannehill

2nd round Brandon Weeden

Osweiler

3rd round Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

4th round Kirk Cousins

6th round Ryan Lindley

7th round BJ Coleman

Chandler Harnish

no chance to get luck or RG III, Tannehill is a maybe, Weeden will be 30 next year, Russell Wilson is possible he's fun to watch but they win with Lynch and D. Wilson was under the 200 yard passing barrier 9 times, Cousins is almost up to 50 attempts and some have seen enough

so three years in we have Luck RG III, Bradford we had virtually no chance to get and a pile of crap after that which is why 95% of the league is looking for a quarterback. 2009 you had Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Pat White, Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Jason McCourty- - - stafford if your judging by fantasy he lead the league in attempts by 100 but more teams hoping and finding out nope

That was a lot of writing...

Buddy Nix Drafted Aaron Williams over Dalton and Kaepernick...TJ Graham over Russell Wilson...

Sorry, but that's all I need to know... B-)

Christ, I guess it's the bash Buddy thread, complete with hand wringing, vitriole and insult spitting. He whiffed on a QB. Yep he did. But he built some good trenches, got a star RB and at least half a good backfield. The payroll is in great shape with plenty of room. He locked in Stevie. We are in a better place to take the next step thanks to the Buddy. It's time to move on from Buddy and it seems we are. I just don't get the dripping bile and Buddy hate I'm reading.

2010:

Tebow

2nd round Clausen - bust

3rd round McCoy - woops

4th round Mike Kafaka

5th round John Skilton

Jonathon Crompton

6th round Rusty Smith

Dan LeFevour

Joe Webb

Tony Pike

7th round Levi Brown

Sean Confield

Zac Robinson

2011:

1st round Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Christian Ponder

5th round Ricky Stanzi

TJ Yates

Nathan Enderle

7th round Greg McElroy

2012:

1st round Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin

Ryan Tannehill

2nd round Brandon Weeden

Osweiler

3rd round Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

4th round Kirk Cousins

6th round Ryan Lindley

7th round BJ Coleman

Chandler Harnish

Washington didn't have a chance to get rg3 either.....until they did. He could've been had. At the expense of some good young players, but I'd take him over Gilmore, Glenn and a few other guys everyday all day. He's a stud. His Injuries are definitely scary, but you see how a great QB can turn a team around. Take him off that team and they win 3-5 games IMO. But they made the playoffs with him. Beating some talented teams along the way

Christ, I guess it's the bash Buddy thread, complete with hand wringing, vitriole and insult spitting. He whiffed on a QB. Yep he did. But he built some good trenches, got a star RB and at least half a good backfield. The payroll is in great shape with plenty of room. He locked in Stevie. We are in a better place to take the next step thanks to the Buddy. It's time to move on from Buddy and it seems we are. I just don't get the dripping bile and Buddy hate I'm reading.

I can only tell you why I personally am so negative about Nix...

I saw Kaepernick and Wilson play...After I saw Aaron Williams and TJ Graham...

That was enough for me... ;)

I don't think it would be tough for most GM's to do the other things you're crediting Buddy with...Wood and Levitre were already here...He did not get the legit LT prospect till Draft #3...The star RB was Drafted at a position of great strength...The Bills were in good Cap shape when Nix took over...Stevie wanted to stay and the money was there, not that I think Nix had a lot to do with how much Stevie got...

Nix also Drafted a TON of Defensive Players in three years only to field a Defense each year that was among the worst in the league...He agreed not only to go with a 7th Round career journeyman at QB, but he also signed off on extending Fitz...But to make matters far worse he only Drafted one 7th Rd QB in three years as the Bills GM...There is nothing after Fitz on the current Roster at QB...Nothing...

I know it seems like piling on the guy...But I just don't see how he can be defended realistically...I think he's fired if he has the same record and results over three years on all the 31 other teams...And that's JMO... B-)

Give me a break. Buddy Nix has failed because of his drafting and personnel decisions. Money support from the owner and organization are not the reasons for the team's terrible record during his tenure. I don't recall a player he let go because of money. If you believe otherwise then that is your prerogative.

That's not the point. I'm not sure how you got that. There's a perception that the Bills somehow spent vastly more under Nix than previous regimes. I'm saying there's a possibility that what exists in your head is different than reality.

And Chan was so good and getting the most out of his talent that he went 16-32 over 3 years and was fired.

Chan Gailey had little talent to work with at the qb position. It didn't really matter what plays he called. If if the qb taking the snaps can't execute the plays then what can he do . Without a .doubt Chan Gailey made a lot of mistakes, many of them due to his stubbornness. As bad as Fitz was his backups were even worse.

If Buddy Nix would have had a young qb on the roster, even in a losing season, it could at least have afforded the organization the opportunity to give playing time to a prospect and see if there was some talent to work with in the future. The Eagles had Foles as a backup. When Vick got hurt the Eagles were able to give Foles meaningful playing time and observe what he was capable of.

From a qb standpoint last season was a waste for this franchise. We learned what we should have already known: that Fitz is a backup at best.