Buddy Nix and addressing the QB position

That was a lot of writing...

Buddy Nix Drafted Aaron Williams over Dalton and Kaepernick...TJ Graham over Russell Wilson...

Sorry, but that's all I need to know... B-)

Bingo! No need for 6,000 word paragraphs to get the "real" truth across.

We had Brian Brohm, a former 2nd round pick on our roster year one, he failed, Levi Brown was drafted, failed, Thigpen had played for Gailey but he didnt work out and then he brought in VY, that didnt work and they broght Tjax in. Clearly none of these worked but I hardly call it "ignoring" the position

Read what you wrote? He has used a 7th round pick and other teams failures and cast offs to try to fix the QB situation here-that for all intents and purposes might as well be ignoring the position. Mentioning T-Jax in your statement, further highlights how bad Nix has been. Give up a draft pick for someone who was never even active on gameday? Really? Gailey/Nix/Fitz was a three head sh*t monster and so far we have only gotten rid of one third of that contagious disaster, and this team wont get better until all 3 thirds are history. Edited by BuffBill

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan Gailey had little talent to work with at the qb position. It didn't really matter what plays he called. If if the qb taking the snaps can't execute the plays then what can he do . Without a .doubt Chan Gailey made a lot of mistakes, many of them due to his stubbornness. As bad as Fitz was his backups were even worse.

If Buddy Nix would have had a young qb on the roster, even in a losing season, it could at least have afforded the organization the opportunity to give playing time to a prospect and see if there was some talent to work with in the future. The Eagles had Foles as a backup. When Vick got hurt the Eagles were able to give Foles meaningful playing time and observe what he was capable of.

From a qb standpoint last season was a waste for this franchise. We learned what we should have already known: that Fitz is a backup at best.

To the bolded sentence, on average his backups were worse; but, I don't believe Tavaris Jackson is really any worse than Fitzpatrick. They are nearly the same guy -- streaky QBs that can look adequate one minute and then implode the next. Even though the GM went out and acquired Jackson, the coach had predetermined that Jackson was never going to see the light of day. Heck, the careers of both Jackson and Fitzpatrick are similar to the point that Buffalo was the 3rd team in their journeyman careers. The one key difference is that Gailey thought he could transform Fitzpatrick into a quality QB and thought that Jackson was a huge waste of his time. Gailey might have even saved himself if he had been able to milk enough good streaky play out of one or the other of these QBs to win himself games. But, he refused and bet the house on the arm of Fitzpatrick to his ultimate demise.

Edit: On the other hand, Gailey also had to fall on his sword for his hiring of Wannstedt and unwillingness to take ownership of that half of the team. The defense was an unmitigated disaster and Wannstedt actually made it worse than it was under George Edwards.

That was a lot of writing...

Buddy Nix Drafted Aaron Williams over Dalton and Kaepernick...TJ Graham over Russell Wilson...

Sorry, but that's all I need to know... B-)

Well, he also drafted Marcel Dareus over AJ Green, Julio Jones, Aldon Smith, and JJ Watt, etc, but folks here seem to want to give him a pass on that one.

Christ, I guess it's the bash Buddy thread, complete with hand wringing, vitriole and insult spitting. He whiffed on a QB. Yep he did. But he built some good trenches, got a star RB and at least half a good backfield. The payroll is in great shape with plenty of room. He locked in Stevie. We are in a better place to take the next step thanks to the Buddy. It's time to move on from Buddy and it seems we are. I just don't get the dripping bile and Buddy hate I'm reading.

The reason we are not ready to move on is that this buffoon apparently is still the GM of the Buffalo Bills and is positioned to squander yet another draft. When he is shown the door, I promise to stop beating this particular drum.

When everyone's major fault they have with him is he wasn't smart enough to recognize that Russell Wilson* had what it takes to be a starting NFL QB and chose to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick for two full years after it was clear he wasn't the answer. And nor was Tavaris Jackson.

The genius who did recognize that Russell Wilson was so good and drafted him, signed Charlie Whitehurst right away to be his starter. That tanked. The next year he signed that same Tavaris Jackson to be his starter. That didn't work so well. Then he signed Matt Flynn. He was promptly beat out by a third round rookie. His fourth try was Russell Wilson and he struck gold.

Now, it's easy to say, and VERY true, that Nix should have been drafting rookies anyway. But the fact is, he's drafting one this year. So that argument is old and moot at this point. If the guy you think is the smart one for recognizing QB talent hit on his fourth choice, why is it so hard to think someone else could?

And that is also ignoring that Nix loved Newton when a lot of other guys were wary of him and would have drafted him if Andrew Luck didn't screw us. And he liked Russell Wilson a lot, too, he just didn't pull the trigger when he had the chance and should have in retrospect.

*The same could be said for not selecting Kapernick, in retrospect, but Jim Harbaugh had just taken the job and had no history of taking QBs we could look at. Ozzie Newsome struck out a few times before Flacco. The list goes on.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

When everyone's major fault they have with him is he wasn't smart enough to recognize that Russell Wilson* had what it takes to be a starting NFL QB and chose to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick for two full years after it was clear he wasn't the answer. And nor was Tavaris Jackson.

The genius who did recognize that Russell Wilson was so good and drafted him, signed Charlie Whitehurst right away to be his starter. That tanked. The next year he signed that same Tavaris Jackson to be his starter. That didn't work so well. Then he signed Matt Flynn. He was promptly beat out by a third round rookie. His fourth try was Russell Wilson and he struck gold.

Now, it's easy to say, and VERY true, that Nix should have been drafting rookies anyway. But the fact is, he's drafting one this year. So that argument is old and moot at this point. If the guy you think is the smart one for recognizing QB talent hit on his fourth choice, why is it so hard to think someone else could?

And that is also ignoring that Nix loved Newton when a lot of other guys were wary of him and would have drafted him if Andrew Luck didn't screw us. And he liked Russell Wilson a lot, too, he just didn't pull the trigger when he had the chance and should have in retrospect.

*The same could be said for not selecting Kapernick, in retrospect, but Jim Harbaugh had just taken the job and had no history of taking QBs we could look at. Ozzie Newsome struck out a few times before Flacco. The list goes on.

This is more gymnastics and speculation (regarding who Buddy like but did not actually draft). It's true that Seattle whiffed on Whitehurst, but at least they were constantly trying hard to upgrade at QB, even though in Hasselback they had a better option than Fitz. And that same burning desire to upgrade at the most important position led to them drafting Wilson even though they had just signed Flynn to a big $$ FA contract. As a result, they appear poised to challenge for the Super Bowl over the next few years. The Bills, meanwhile, sat on their hands and did not even try to draft a young QB to groom, regardless of what they thought of Fitz.

This is more gymnastics and speculation (regarding who Buddy like but did not actually draft). It's true that Seattle whiffed on Whitehurst, but at least they were constantly trying hard to upgrade at QB, even though in Hasselback they had a better option than Fitz. And that same burning desire to upgrade at the most important position led to them drafting Wilson even though they had just signed Flynn to a big $$ FA contract. As a result, they appear poised to challenge for the Super Bowl over the next few years. The Bills, meanwhile, sat on their hands and did not even try to draft a young QB to groom, regardless of what they thought of Fitz.

I already responded directly to that very point in the post you quoted. Thanks for not playing.

This hits the nail on the head. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. You can't get better by doing what you've always done. [insert 1000 other cliches for Nix failing to address the most important position].

I already responded directly to that very point in the post you quoted. Thanks for not playing.

Not sure exactly what the point of the thread is Kelly. No offense.

Edited by NewEra

Did anyone else hear John Murphy tell Bulldog today on WGR that Marrone was at the SB pratices Tuesday but was now back in Buffalo meeting with his staff concerning the current roster?

Should he not be in Mobile watching practices like Sean Payton and other real NFL coaches?

Marrone is in buffalo because they are still working on the playbook, getting together as a new coaching staff, and evaluating whether their current players fit their plans. Payton knows his current players. Also, Marrone probablly has seen a ton of tape on the prospects at the Senior Bowl since he was a college coach, while Payton has not. Conversely, Marrone probablly watched few if any Bills games last year. He'll get the scouts reports, compare them to the new system his staff wants to run, make a mock draft board, then attend the combine. Don't hit the "freak out" button yet!!!

*The same could be said for not selecting Kapernick, in retrospect, but Jim Harbaugh had just taken the job and had no history of taking QBs we could look at. Ozzie Newsome struck out a few times before Flacco. The list goes on..

The issue for me is the QBs he's 'taken a chance on'. Levi Brown is the only QB drafted by Nix. Did anyone, including Nix hold out anything but the faintest hope that Brown would stick on the roster? Follow the GB model. Draft QBs even when you think you may not need them. The position is too valuable to leave to journeymen. QBs who aren't re-signed are avaialble for a reason. QBs who are traded are sent away for a reason (you can get a decent QB this way, but it's probably not much more successful than the draft...for every Matt Schaub I can give you 5 Castles). This year Smith and Flynn might be available via trade or potentially FA. Nothing more than a crapshoot for either.

Draft QBs and draft them often.

Not sure exactly what the point of the thread is Kelly. No offense.

None taken (although usually when someone says no offense, there is all kinds of offense. Like "no disprect but ... here comes the disrespect. ;)

The point is that most people here seem to think that Nix has no idea what makes a good QB because of his previous decision on Fitz and TJax and not realizing how good Russell Wilson and Kapernick were when he had a chance to draft them (I don't know is he does or he doesn't, I think he does know talent though pretty well). I was just pointing out that the guy that DID know what makes a great QB and realized how good Russell Wilson was going to be when he had a chance to draft him misfired on his first two, and maybe three chances, and got it right on his fourth.

And in the thread, I said I understand that he should have been taking one anyway, even with Fitz, and agreed he should have; a huge mistake. But that is moot now because he IS taking one.

The issue for me is the QBs he's 'taken a chance on'. Levi Brown is the only QB drafted by Nix. Did anyone, including Nix hold out anything but the faintest hope that Brown would stick on the roster? Follow the GB model. Draft QBs even when you think you may not need them. The position is too valuable to leave to journeymen. QBs who aren't re-signed are avaialble for a reason. QBs who are traded are sent away for a reason (you can get a decent QB this way, but it's probably not much more successful than the draft...for every Matt Schaub I can give you 5 Castles). This year Smith and Flynn might be available via trade or potentially FA. Nothing more than a crapshoot for either.

Draft QBs and draft them often.

Which is why I said, "Now, it's easy to say, and VERY true, that Nix should have been drafting rookies anyway. But the fact is, he's drafting one this year. So that argument is old and moot at this point."

None taken (although usually when someone says no offense, there is all kinds of offense. Like "no disprect but ... here comes the disrespect. ;)

The point is that most people here seem to think that Nix has no idea what makes a good QB because of his previous decision on Fitz and TJax and not realizing how good Russell Wilson and Kapernick were when he had a chance to draft them (I don't know is he does or he doesn't, I think he does know talent though pretty well). I was just pointing out that the guy that DID know what makes a great QB and realized how good Russell Wilson was going to be when he had a chance to draft him misfired on his first two, and maybe three chances, and got it right on his fourth.

And in the thread, I said I understand that he should have been taking one anyway, even with Fitz, and agreed he should have; a huge mistake. But that is moot now because he IS taking one.

Which is why I said, "Now, it's easy to say, and VERY true, that Nix should have been drafting rookies anyway. But the fact is, he's drafting one this year. So that argument is old and moot at this point."

Don't ask for opinions then yell at people for giving them. Would you like to make this a private thread? Then state your point & lock it up. Apparently you've got it all figured out.

And until we have 2 viable QBs on the roster nothing about this is old or moot, but that's just my opinion.

I was just pointing out that the guy that DID know what makes a great QB and realized how good Russell Wilson was going to be when he had a chance to draft him misfired on his first two, and maybe three chances, and got it right on his fourth.

Don't fool yourself if Carroll was so sure Wilson was a stud, why did he wait until round 3, and EVERY team had already passed over him at least twice. It is Tom Brady all over again. In fact isn't there a thread here within the last week as to why Belichek even waited until the 6th round

I said no offense because I respect your opinion and I didn't want you to think I was asking in a negative way. I just didn't grasp the point of the thread. That being said, everyone swings and misses. It took Carroll a few swings until he hit. It usually takes everyone a few swings before they get a hit. Some strikeout before they get that hit. It looks as if nix is trying to hit a walk off as I believe he will be gone after this draft. i'm not sure point of my post....lol

Don't fool yourself if Carroll was so sure Wilson was a stud, why did he wait until round 3, and EVERY team had already passed over him at least twice. It is Tom Brady all over again. In fact isn't there a thread here within the last week as to why Belichek even waited until the 6th round

Exactly. You make an educated guess and hope for the best.

Now not recognizing that Fitz was not the man so many years into his career is another story altogether.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Right, and as you point out, even the best talent evaluators (of which Nix certainly is not one) swing and miss regularly with QB prospects, which is why you need to continually try to bring in new prospects until you have your francise guy,hell, even after you have found your franchise guy. What on earth makes you think Nix is going to hit it out of the park with his (presumably) one choice this year?

Edited by mannc

Nix failed miserably. Seattle kept bringing in QBs until they found 1 to build around. Anyone with half a brain could have told you Fitz wasn't good enough. The contract was terrible and untimely.

As far as I can tell Nix knows no more about QBs than a guy off the street.

You can't defend his record, it speaks for itself. He should have been fired along with Gailey.

Edited by kobe808lak

What on earth makes you think Nix is going to hit it out of the park with his (presumably) one choice this year?

I don't necessarily think he is going to hit it out of the park at all. 1] Guys that hit it out of the park miss all the time, too, so it's very conceivable that he could, too... especially because -- 2] He has liked guys a lot that turned out to be great players when not everyone liked them (he just didnt draft them, 3] He had legitimate reasons, some good and some bad, for not selecting QBs earlier (which turned out to be a mistake and bit him in the ass, i am NOT condoning it.

For someone who admits that Buddy has bungled the process, you sure do a lot of defending of the indefensible ...

The bolded above is more proof that Buddy is over his head as the GM. He's the anti-Brandon as far as telegraphing his intentions. What point did it serve to scream from the mountaintop that Bills will be selecting a QB early?