How best to use Spiller and Jackson?

This time last year I kept thinking, "Man, if I'm Chan Gailey I'm sitting down and figured how best to use Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller since they're the most dynamic players on this team."

Quite obviously, this never happened.

But now with Marrone and Hackett, they are going to be bringing in a new style of offense. (Oh for the love of crap please let them bring in a new style of offense) We still have Spiller and Jackson on contract, so we can keep them for a while if we so choose. I've waxed eloquent about their relative strengths and weaknesses before, but now that we have a whole offseason with a brand new point of view coming in I'm curious to see what people will think.

Personally, I'm hoping for a two back system and if anyone knows where this has successfully been run (either in the pros or in college) I would love to hear about it, especially since it looks very likely that we'll have a rookie QB under center for us.

The problem with this is that if either Jackson or Spiller get hurt then you'd need two replacements with almost equal skills as good as the player who got hurt. Both are different runners and both would need a replacement back that could step in and have it still work. So I wouldn't hold my breath on the two back system.

Edited by 1billsfan

I've said it many times before. Since you brought the topic up again about the RBs on this team ill chime in again with my usual answer.

Freddy was a great back for a short period of time. He is now injury riddled, on the wrong side of 30, and not as quick as he used to be. The best use for him would be to spell CJ about 10 touches a game.

Keep CJ in as much as possible because even when he's not touching the ball he's the best decoy in football just standing around picking daisies. He needs to get around the 20 carry mark and another 5 or so receptions every game. If he truly can't handle that load then give Freddy another 2 carries or so and drop CJs carries to about 18.

That pretty much does it.

Well for me, Freddie is the perfect slotback: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slotback

Use a two back, maybe even three back set with two TE's from time to time. From here you have many options. Of course Freddie can also be the RB when Spiller is tired, but if I were in charge he'd be the American equivalent of a Canadian Slotback without the illegal motion of course. :)

Tim-

I think that it can't be determined until we find out what kind of upgrades in FA, the draft, (plus re-signing David Nelson) we make at WR. If we have just bodies there, like we had this year, then we need to use Spiller and Jackson together on most every play. If we have some playmakers at WR, then we switch it up.

The thing is, we all wanted for Chan to use Spiller and Fred together the entire year, but Fred was hurt, the entire year. Even the games he played he wasn't 100%.

From little I have seen, and some of what I have read, Marrone/Hackett don't use a lot of motion in their offense. What we don't know is if that was due to the players that they were using or a core philosophy. To me, the only way to truly utilize Fred and CJ together is to have them on the field together, and do one of four things: 1] Have them both in the backfield when the ball is snapped; 2] put both in the backfield and then put one or the other in motion to get him on a LB; 3] put one in the backfield and split the other out; or 4] put one in the backfield, split the other out and then put the backfield guy in motion for a mismatch.

By having the same personnel on the field but being able to run four distinctly different formations and philosophies from it, with the defense not knowing if it is a running group or a passing group and having to field players built for one or the other, it would give us a huge advantage because both of them are good receivers. I couldn't believe that was not the core concept for Chan and trying to use them both, especially considering our lack of playmakers on the outside.

I think that it can't be determined until we find out what kind of upgrades in FA, the draft, (plus re-signing David Nelson) we make at WR. If we have just bodies there, like we had this year, then we need to use Spiller and Jackson together on most every play. If we have some playmakers at WR, then we switch it up.

The thing is, we all wanted for Chan to use Spiller and Fred together the entire year, but Fred was hurt, the entire year. Even the games he played he wasn't 100%.

From little I have seen, and some of what I have read, Marrone/Hackett don't use a lot of motion in their offense. What we don't know is if that was due to the players that they were using or a core philosophy. To me, the only way to truly utilize Fred and CJ together is to have them on the field together, and do one of four things: 1] Have them both in the backfield when the ball is snapped; 2] put both in the backfield and then put one or the other in motion to get him on a LB; 3] put one in the backfield and split the other out; or 4] put one in the backfield, split the other out and then put the backfield guy in motion for a mismatch.

By having the same personnel on the field but being able to run four distinctly different formations and philosophies from it, with the defense not knowing if it is a running group or a passing group and having to field players built for one or the other, it would give us a huge advantage because both of them are good receivers. I couldn't believe that was not the core concept for Chan and trying to use them both, especially considering our lack of playmakers on the outside.

Agreed. Thinking back I was always questioning Chan and his use of FJ/CJ. I liked Chan but he lost me this year with his abysmal scheming on Offense. I like and echo the sentiments you're suggesting above, and would add that essentially the slotback does exactly all of those things. :)

Tim-

Has anyone given thought to the idea that maybe Fred won't even be back this year? When not injured he can still be somewhat productive. But he has become injury prone, and has put the ball on the ground way too much this year. Remember we have an entire new coaching staff who could always go in a different direction as far as who plays at RB. I personally like Fred, but feel we need a 3rd RB who is a big pounder. A short yardage guy with some pop, who has a little speed as well. We don't need to be throwing every time we are in 3rd and less than 4 yards as we did under Chan.

Has anyone given thought to the idea that maybe Fred won't even be back this year? When not injured he can still be somewhat productive. But he has become injury prone, and has put the ball on the ground way too much this year. Remember we have an entire new coaching staff who could always go in a different direction as far as who plays at RB. I personally like Fred, but feel we need a 3rd RB who is a big pounder. A short yardage guy with some pop, who has a little speed as well. We don't need to be throwing every time we are in 3rd and less than 4 yards as we did under Chan.

Put the ball on the ground too much? His stats are normal RB fumbles per year stats. I know the fumbles sucked because of the timing and all, but don't act like he sucks now cause he fumbled a couple times. Freddy still has moves and he looks slow next to CJ no kidding. But he's better at finding tight yardage, or making something out of nothing than CJ. Better football sense too. I liked the way they split this year except just double it and throw less.