Burke of CNN/SI grades the Bills HC choice as the worst of the eight (

ganesh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on the article's comment section Chris Burke's coaching hire grades from last year:

It's makes an interesting article but it's a little silly to assign grade levels on coach hires. As an example, Chris Burke's grades for last year hires: Romeo Crennel A-; Joe Philbin B; Jeff Fisher B; Chuck Pagano B-; Mike Mularkey C; Dennis Allen C-; Greg Schiano D.

This guy is just throwing darts blindly.

So his highest rated coach last year is not even employed by the Chiefs anymore. At least he had Pagano in front of Mularkey.

I like Fitz, but he lost may at the end when hes said they have to find a way to fix Fitzpatrick.

I don't like Fitz...

But I agree...He lost all credibility with that comment alone...There is no fixing Fitz...Gailey came as close to doing it as any Coach ever will...Ever... B-)

this is basically the same crew that picked Chan...so given the Bills wonderful history of picking HCs --and given the fact that there is no new blood in the front office(yes its been rearranged which COULD be good)---I dont see what is so outrageous about saying that the Bills pulled a C+ or whatever the he*l the guy gave him.

The fact he said Marone must fix Fitz makes this analysis moot IMO. The only fixing of Fitz that might be happening--and that's probably less than 50-50--is teaching him how to hold the clipboard properly.

This exactly.

Honestly I am the last guy in the world to "rip the guy who rips the Bills" but his grades/explanations are just all over the place.

Implying they're going to stink because they have no QB is fair. Except that just about every team that just fired their coach don't have a qb (except maybe the Bears).

He's clearly not grading based on how good he thinks the team will be next year anyway, because the least talented team in his opinion got a B.

So maybe he's grading on how good of a fit the coach is (whatever that means); in which case Gus Bradley who coached good defensive players and never been a HC is a proven program builder? Uhh, yah ok.

If you just don't think Marrone has the chops to get it done, then just say that.

And I am on record as being a huge Chip Kelly fanboy. The anti-vagina 4th down coaching in this league is a hero in my book.

Big Whoop.

He's a newby writer with 1.5 years covering the NFL http://www.linkedin....in/chrisburke82

Before SI, he worked at a twice weekly community paper, then was a Detroit-based blogger. Some credentials.

Peter King is a lot more credible (as far as pundrity like this can be, that is): http://sportsillustr...ills/index.html

I think Peter King has the correct take here. he predicted the Pettine hire. Marrone will be a good hire for the Bills.

Someone on the article's comment section Chris Burke's coaching hire grades from last year:

It's makes an interesting article but it's a little silly to assign grade levels on coach hires. As an example, Chris Burke's grades for last year hires: Romeo Crennel A-; Joe Philbin B; Jeff Fisher B; Chuck Pagano B-; Mike Mularkey C; Dennis Allen C-; Greg Schiano D.

Damn internet, keeping these old decisions around and making the new ones suspect.

This makes me feel better.

Not that his original assesment scared me.

I have no clue if Marrone will be good or not, and neither does this Burke writer. I bet we have all done more research on Marrone and listened to the same endorsements Burke did.

maybe because Burke had never heard of Marrone or had little knowledge of Marrone he thought he must stink. Some writers are ego maniacs. if they did not think it or know about it, it must not be good or worth knowing.

The best thing is that these grades are really, really important. I mean, for those of you with kids, you usually get a report card on September 5th, right?

Brandon needs to get the jump on hiring a new new head coach. Obviously we're screwed.

PTR

We got a guy who coached a college team to .500 in an arguably weak division. I think giving us a "C" is generous, until he proves he can win football games.

Agree with you on the logic. My gut tells me this is another crap hire, but it's still stupid to assign "grades" to these hires when we dont' have a clue how they will turn out. It's really all about the "hot" names. I'm sure Saban and Spurrier and Ditka (Saints) and so on were considered "A" hires way back when. I wonder what the grades were for unknowns like John Harbaugh or retreads like Bill Belichek or Marv Levy.

Edited by TheBrownBear

"Grades" for events that have yet to happen are meaningless. IF they were valid, we could save a bunch of money on schools...just hand out the grades and wilsh everyone well!

The author made some valid points, but since it's still speculation, its only value is entertainment. While I hope he's wrong and we're right, we'll have to wait top see how it plays out.

If he thinks Chip Kelly is an A- he is discredited. I was seriously relieved when the Bills did NOT get Kelly.

Talk about an underqualified risk. Prior to 4 years at Oregon he coached (as an assistant) at Columbia, Hew Hampshire, and JOHNS HOPKINS???? Does JHU even have a football team??

Only a few years as a H/C at any level, and suddenly he is the sexy pick for an NFL job?? INSANE. Look to the Eagles to be competing for the #1 draft pick the next couple years.

So refreshing to see that I'm not alone on this one. The thought of the Bills hiring Chip Kelly was making me sick to my stomach. He has the least amount of NFL experience that any NFL Head Coach has ever had. That is not embellishment.

Nothing but a media sensation based on him having a big mouth. Period.

Being successful as a college coach ... big fuggin deal. As Saban and Spurrier how that translated.

And Chris Burke? He predicted the Saints would win the Super Bowl, the Eagles would have one of the best records in the NFC and that Carolina and Miami would be the sleeper teams of 2012.

I'm glad he gave Marrone a C. Screw him.

I'll tell you if he was a good hire after next year when I see what he can do. Gailey frankly was a bad hire from day one and I said so, and he proved it year in and year out until he was fired. If this guy is going to hold to tough stances and high expectations, and he pushes the run game as he should, I think he will be just fine.

I don't know ...the coach sounds good, and frankly I think the team we have is a lot more talented than the record they produced. This guy could be the best of the new hires based on his record come this time next year.