Is the Patriots Dynasty Tarnished?

I hate the pats* however their accomplishments are undeniable unless your a conspiracy theorist.

since the patriots last superbowl win,

the steelers have 2 superbowls

and the giants have 2 superbowls

the patriots owned the first part of the 2000s, for sure.

ANNNNND that was a decade ago.

the rest of the football world has moved on--are bills fans ready to yet?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

since the patriots last superbowl win,

the steelers have 2 superbowls

and the giants have 2 superbowls

the patriots owned the first part of the 2000s, for sure.

ANNNNND that was a decade ago.

the rest of the football world has moved on--are bills fans ready to yet?

Does that tarnish their run though? Or does it merely mean that arguably it's over?

so who's "era" is this? If the Giants made the playoffs this year you could argue that it was their "dynasty." There are not supreme teams in the NFL that get it done, the best team in the NFL is - sadly - the Patriots. they still beat teams, they still knock teams out of the playoffs.

Between this, and your last comment about the AFCE being gimmes.... There's a certain degree of self loathing in being a bills fan for you, eh?

By your standards we've been unsuccessful at best and seemingly pathetic most of the time by your own measure.

Ummmm....that would be correct. Pretty obvious, no?

Love to watch the Pats lose... Still they have owned the Bills.

Which is why you love to see them lose.

It would suck to have success measured only by Super Bowl wins.

That is how THEY are measured.

Three Super Bowl wins in four years. No one else has done that. So, yes, they have to be considered a dynasty from 2001-2004.

However, since then the Pats* have had more than their share of playoff failures. The best night I ever saw on this board was five years ago, and we all know what that was.

Tom Brady is 36, Belichick is 60 and will be 61 before the season starts. I think the long, slow decline of the New England Patriots began tonight.

That is just complete and utter nonsense. Both the Jets and Dolphins had numerous 9-10-11 win seasons in the last 11 years since the Patriots started their run.

Yeah.......they've been challenged yearly by their division opponents.

Tom Brady is 36, Belichick is 60 and will be 61 before the season starts. I think the long, slow decline of the New England Patriots began tonight.

Hopefully not toooo long, eh?

Not long ago, the *Pats seemed to have one of the all-time great dynasties of all-time. Since then, they posted a perfect regular season, only to lose in the SB. Got caught in the spygate scandal. Lost another SB to the Giants and now have lost the AFC title game at home to the Ravens.

How do you think history will judge the Belichick/Brady era? Will they win another SB?

Discuss...

I'll be happy just to see them lose their strangle hold on the AFC East.

Their defense continues to let them down.

Excellent point.

We can talk about the cheating all day long.

Putting that aside for now, when the Patriots lost all those veteran players on defense during their Super Bowl winning years, it greatly affected the team. They still have not replaced guys like Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, & Richard Seymour.

Excellent point.

We can talk about the cheating all day long.

Putting that aside for now, when the Patriots lost all those veteran players on defense during their Super Bowl winning years, it greatly affected the team. They still have not replaced guys like Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, & Richard Seymour.

They never replaced Randy Moss either. And now Randy has a shot at another ring. Bellicheat hasn't hit all home runs on personnel moves either.

PTR

Three Super Bowl wins in four years. No one else has done that.

XXVII Jan. 31, 1993 Rose Bowl Dallas 52, Buffalo 17 XXVIII Jan. 30, 1994 Georgia Dome (Atlanta) Dallas 30, Buffalo 13 XXIX Jan. 29, 1995 Joe Robbie Stadium San Francisco 49, San Diego 26 XXX Jan. 28, 1996 Sun Devil Stadium (Tempe, Ariz.) Dallas 27, Pittsburgh 17

Edited by B-Man

Yes. Yes I do.

Me too.

XXVII Jan. 31, 1993 Rose Bowl Dallas 52, Buffalo 17 XXVIII Jan. 30, 1994 Georgia Dome (Atlanta) Dallas 30, Buffalo 13 XXIX Jan. 29, 1995 Joe Robbie Stadium San Francisco 49, San Diego 26 XXX Jan. 28, 1996 Sun Devil Stadium (Tempe, Ariz.)

What's this now?

XXVII Jan. 31, 1993 Rose Bowl Dallas 52, Buffalo 17 XXVIII Jan. 30, 1994 Georgia Dome (Atlanta) Dallas 30, Buffalo 13 XXIX Jan. 29, 1995 Joe Robbie Stadium San Francisco 49, San Diego 26 XXX Jan. 28, 1996 Sun Devil Stadium (Tempe, Ariz.)

Oops, you're right. One of two teams to do it. The Cowboys won Super Bowls 27, 28, and 30.

It's late and I'm too lazy to type Roman Numerals.

Edited by TheFourHorsemen

Three Super Bowl wins in four years. No one else has done that. So, yes, they have to be considered a dynasty from 2001-2004.

However, since then the Pats* have had more than their share of playoff failures. The best night I ever saw on this board was five years ago, and we all know what that was.

They still have the clearest path to the AFC East Title next year, but eventually they will slow down

Pretty much the same comments about the imminent decline,That people wrote after they lost the super bowl last year. This year they lost the AFC championship. I would not bet today, that the pats* won't be there next year. Deep in the playoffs. And sweeping at least one AFCE team next year.

They never replaced Randy Moss either. And now Randy has a shot at another ring. Bellicheat hasn't hit all home runs on personnel moves either.

PTR

That is true as well. However, the Patriots offense continues to thrive with soon-to-be ex-Patriot Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez & Brandon Lloyd.

Whereas the defense at many times looks suspect. Remember the Bills put up 31 points on them the second time they played this year.

That is true as well. However, the Patriots offense continues to thrive with soon-to-be ex-Patriot Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez & Brandon Lloyd.

Whereas the defense at many times looks suspect. Remember the Bills put up 31 points on them the second time they played this year.

Still, they scored only 13 points tonight.

PTR

ReallY? Moss?

Since Moss left, Brady has thrown for over 18,000 yards and 134 TDs..in 4 seasons. I don't think they miss him much.

I don't think they are tarnished one bit. They still won 3 Super Bowls and something like 10-11 AFC Eash Divison crown and 6 AFC Championships. All dynasties come to an end with a Thud and may be this is the beginning of the end of that era for the Patriots

Please remember how Kelly ended his career (On the hard cold turf of RWS)

That is true.

Remember when the Steelers dynasty of the 70's ended? Steelers fans don't like to talk about the 80's.

Although the 49'ers were still a strong Super Bowl contending team even after the 80's. It wasn't until the late 90's that they began to fall apart.

Sad thing is it will be age and retirements that will allow the Bills to catch the Pats, and nothing that we will have done over the past decade plus. Even if we turn it around in '13, we will never have really gone toe to toe with Bellisith and Brady when they were in their prime, never kicked them in the teeth (certainly not while lying on the turf having just completed a QB slide). Just imagine if the Bills could have given us a Kelly/Marino type of rivalry with the Pats. Instead, we are kinda waiting for them to call it quits so we can play.

Yes, and you have to give the Ravens defense a lot of credit.

The Patriots did move the ball and got into scoring range many times, yet only got 1 TD.

There were on the Baltimore side 9 times and in the Redzone 6 times, came away with 1TD and 2 FG.

Perhaps, but Brady is getting old too. He's not the same guy at 30 whatever as he was in 2002. No matter how much ESPN and the rest of the media jerk him off...

oh so right. Back in 2002 when he was a game manager? C'mon. He hasn't been won a SB since becoming a dominant QB. Just like Ben Rapelisberger, he was a game manager when they won.

oh so right. Back in 2002 when he was a game manager? C'mon. He hasn't been won a SB since becoming a dominant QB. Just like Ben Rapelisberger, he was a game manager when they won.

Brady was considered a game manager in the Super Bowl against the Rams, but that was it. Roethlisberger was considered a game manager as a rookie, but not beyond then and certainly not during either of their SB wins.

Brady was considered a game manager in the Super Bowl against the Rams, but that was it. Roethlisberger was considered a game manager as a rookie, but not beyond then and certainly not during either of their SB wins.

without actually looking up the stats I think you'd be proven wrong about that.

Not long ago, the *Pats seemed to have one of the all-time great dynasties of all-time. Since then, they posted a perfect regular season, only to lose in the SB. Got caught in the spygate scandal. Lost another SB to the Giants and now have lost the AFC title game at home to the Ravens.

How do you think history will judge the Belichick/Brady era? Will they win another SB?

Discuss...

Don't think they will win another but they are one of the best organizations hands down.

What is really important to me is seeing defenses catch up to the spread and now we can get back to real physical hard nosed smash mouth football.

Death to the spread long live SmashMouth!!!

???

Am I allowed to look up the stats?

The first Super Bowl Big Ben won he was the statistically worst qb in all of the Super Bowls to win.

On my phone so I can't link the stats. Second Super Bowl however he want the game manager and led the game winning drive including the td throw to Holmes.

The first Super Bowl Big Ben won he was the statistically worst qb in all of the Super Bowls to win.

On my phone so I can't link the stats. Second Super Bowl however he want the game manager and led the game winning drive including the td throw to Holmes.

In 12 games as a 2nd year player during the 2005 season, Ben had 2385 yds, 17 TDs, 9 INTs and a 62.7% comp. He had a terrible Super Bowl, and the Steelers won by the skin of some terrible officiating.

Neither Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger were considered "game managers" aside from very early in their careers--- essentially the first 2 seasons for each. I'm not really sure what the argument is.

Edited by Punch

Tom Brady's statistics were actually very Fitzpatrick'esque up until 2005 at which point he has t win a Super Bowl since. 28 TDs and 14 Ints with approx 3,600 yards remind you of anybody? Hmmm.

http://m.nfl.com/players/stats/BRA371156/tom-brady/

Big Ben had 17 TDs and 15 Ints in his BETTER year they win the SB. With just over 3,300 yards.

http://m.nfl.com/players/stats/ROE750381/ben-roethlisberger/

Care to argue your point any further????

Didnt think so.

With the exception of 1 season (besides the year he was injured in the first game) Brady has statistically destroyed the seasons he won Super Bowls in.

Bens worst seasons as a pro were also the seasons he won his 2 Super Bowls.

That's the argument here.

Edited by mrags

Tom Brady's statistics were actually very Fitzpatrick'esque up until 2005 at which point he has t win a Super Bowl since. 28 TDs and 14 Ints with approx 3,600 yards remind you of anybody? Hmmm.

http://m.nfl.com/pla...1156/tom-brady/

Big Ben had 17 TDs and 15 Ints in his BETTER year they win the SB. With just over 3,300 yards.

http://m.nfl.com/pla...roethlisberger/

Didnt think so.

I see your point but IMO Ben led a great drive to win the SB.

http://m.nfl.com/pla...1156/tom-brady/

http://m.nfl.com/pla...roethlisberger/

Didnt think so.

Is this some kind of joke? Passing statistics have increased exponentially over the past decade. Fitz' stats in 2011-12 would have been top 10 or even top 5 in 2002-05.

Tom Brady was not considered a game manager in 2003-04. Ben Roethlisberger was not a game manager. Your point is what exactly?