Something a former member of our team said to me recently

major

Recently, a former player of our team (played within the past 5 years) asked me "why are you still a Bills fan?". He wasn't joking - he was being serious. I was blown away by that comment. I will allow him to remain anonymous. I don't want to get in trouble by sharing his name.

On a positive note, a good friend of Mark Anderson, our DE, told me that Mark is real down because he said our team is much better than our record showed.

Two very different perspectives,. Of course, one is done with our team and the other is still on the roster

One note on Anderson's comments...

That seems to be the prevailing opinion at OBD...And most of the blame came down on Chan...And that's fine...IF they are right...And, IMHO, that's a BIG if...I was not thrilled with Chan either, but I feel Buddy was equally to blame as the GM and the guy making all the football decisions. Including the one main decision to basically ignore the QB position for 3 years, and stubbornly go with Fitz thinking he could some how magically turn into a good, consistent, NFL QB...I'm not of the opinion that the talent on this team is so great that we were merely coached into a bad season...I think it's a lot deeper than that...Only 4 of the 10 losses were by a TD or less...Only 2 of the 10 by a FG or less...The Bills lost 6 Games by a combined 145 points!!! That's and AVERAGE of 24 points a game!!! And this is all Coaching? No way...

We'll see this coming year...Because the way The Bills are talking from Brandon down, this team has a Playoff caliber roster already...And I just don't see it...Not yet at least...Do they have talent? Yes, some...Do they need more talent? Yes, just about everywhere on the Roster, and especially at QB... B-)

I talked to a Mr.Rooks who played for Syracuse/Miami Dolphins and used to live in Clarence ! He said the NFL is nothing but who has coaching stability .His example was the Pittsburgh Steelers ! He said every team has the players but coaching is the No.1 thing you need !He has a point when you look at the good teams every year ! Use names , not friends of friends,it's more believable !

The only answer is "I am from WNY". There is no other answer. If you weren't you very likely wouldn't be a Bills fan.

I have never stepped foot in the city of Buffalo, nor do I have any affiliations with WNY. But I am - and always will be - a Bills fan 'til I die!

GO BUFFALO!!!

Been watching the Bills since '89 when I was just becoming old enough to comprehend the game with my father. The success and failures of the early 90's made me even more of a fan of this team and I have followed them religiously ever since.

Everything is cyclical in sports. Unfortunately our failures have been a little longer than normal but we will experience success again and when we do the fact that I have stuck by this team through it all over the last 24 years of my life will make it even sweeter when we do.

I think the salary cap is a joke ! How hard is it for me as an owner ,to come to one of my players with an envelope of cash ! Maybe no way , but it's possible to pay someone "under the table" ! Happens everday in the working class !

Did you ask why the comment was made - in other words, what his reason for disassociating himself? Does he expect true fans to change loyalties from year to year depending on the current degree of the team's success? If so, what a douche bag...obviously has no concept of what a good fan is.

Was he a journeyman player who made a stop in Buffalo on his way to insurance sales training?

I had a post a few a days ago questioning the lack of motivation by some players today, particulalry on recent Bills rosters. I think the idea of investing ones heart into the team is a part of that drive. The glory year superbowl Bills by and large loved The Buffalo Bills. They took pride in their team and adopted town and realized they were representing the people of Buffalo.

The guys who have no emotional investment in their team should move on - like the ex-Bill who questioned your allegiance.

Did you ask why the comment was made - in other words, what his reason for disassociating himself? Does he expect true fans to change loyalties from year to year depending on the current degree of the team's success? If so, what a douche bag...obviously has no concept of what a good fan is.

Was he a journeyman player who made a stop in Buffalo on his way to insurance sales training?

I had a post a few a days ago questioning the lack of motivation by some players today, particulalry on recent Bills rosters. I think the idea of investing ones heart into the team is a part of that drive. The glory year superbowl Bills by and large loved The Buffalo Bills. They took pride in their team and adopted town and realized they were representing the people of Buffalo.

The guys who have no emotional investment in their team should move on - like the ex-Bill who questioned your allegiance.

I wonder, too, about this ex-player, and the answer is just going to be in the context. Is it a guy like Lee Evans who saw a carousel of coaches, solutions, strategies employed during his tenure, with no real plan or team-building involved and no innovation or foresight? Or is it a guy who wasn't liked here and it's more just sour grapes? I could see this question in two ways: "Why are you a fan? They are cold and calculating, they take you for granted, and they don't care about the football product..." or "Why are you a fan? This franchise is a joke..."

I hope it's being turned around but my fears about trying to re-build a Big East contender in the NFL are so far, founded. Again, without Mike Pettine I'd be pretty far from caring right now. They have a big job to do in finding their QB, and Nassib would be not a classic Bills pick, but a classic Bills move -- stick with what's familiar and you don't have to be afraid of the unknown.

Except in this case, the unknown is success.

Recently, a former player of our team (played within the past 5 years) asked me "why are you still a Bills fan?". He wasn't joking - he was being serious. I was blown away by that comment. I will allow him to remain anonymous. I don't want to get in trouble by sharing his name.

On a positive note, a good friend of Mark Anderson, our DE, told me that Mark is real down because he said our team is much better than our record showed.

Two very different perspectives,. Of course, one is done with our team and the other is still on the roster

josh reed?

Some people, whether they're players or not, are just bitter when they have bad experiences. So for whatever reason, he probably felt that he was treated poorly by the front office, or wasn't given a fair chance to compete. Or maybe he didn't get along with someone in the front office. Either way I'm sure this kind of player is fairly common. The average career span of an NFL player is about four years, so I'm sure not every guy's time in the NFL is pleasant.

Give us a hint. What position did he play?

I'm willing to guarantee it wasn't lee. Know him well and that's just not something he'd say. I'm also very close with another former player that played in buffalo and played in another big city and football town... He wouldn't make this remark about the bills. He's still a big fan... Goes to every game. He always tells a story about getting drafted by the bills and all of his buddies/other players being jealous. This was right around Super Bowl era. Win and they will come.

Edited by RalphOP83

Look at the bright side fellow Bills fans. There are no front running Bills fans. We are true, bona fide Bills fans. And the funny thing, once the Bills become a juggernaut, people will accuse us of being front runners. Haha

Leo Ashame about your group. I'm south of Albany on the MA. border and we have a few fans that stick with US. I grew up with the Bills in Buffalo and moved in 63. Never missed a game for years and have The Ticket now. Some of us just are really good fans and some not so good. Know that there are alot of us good ones around. I have a freind in FL. that goes to a bar for the Bills games and has about 200 people every game. Thats great. Used to have the train out of Renn. for the games. No more . Now we have a guy in Pittsfield that does the NE. game in Buffalo on a bus trip. More Bills fans that NE every year. We will never surrender. Go Bills.

I take 2 things away from this....

The player whoever he was was not a winner. If he asked you that he really didnt care about winning and was stealing Ralph's money. JMO

Second, Mark Anderson is wrong. We were 6-10 because of very bad coaching ,Fitz being Fitz and an horrible D.

Like Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.