Something a former member of our team said to me recently

major

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In speaking to him a few times I'd wager it was Lee Evans. Either way, if you don't understand why someone is a Bills fan...you never will.

Good guess... Evans was one of the few bright spots on this team (for me anyways) for the better part of a decade...I know he has his bashers, but I always thought he carried himself with class, couldn't help but like the guy...wish things had worked out different for him in Buffalo, and Baltimore for that matter.

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else...sounds like Evans really appreciated his season in Baltimore...from ESPN.Com:

No Second Chance for Lee Evans:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8847776/nfl-playoffs-no-second-chance-lee-evans-billy-cundiff

Good guess... Evans was one of the few bright spots on this team (for me anyways) for the better part of a decade...I know he has his bashers, but I always thought he carried himself with class, couldn't help but like the guy...wish things had worked out different for him in Buffalo, and Baltimore for that matter.

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else...sounds like Evans really appreciated his season in Baltimore...from ESPN.Com:

No Second Chance for Lee Evans:

http://espn.go.com/n...s-billy-cundiff

That's a helluva article,Lee Evans was one of my favorites with the Bills. Lee seems to be a very grounded & humbled young man and going to an organization like the Ravens exposed him to an elite organization... Every team should be striving for the same goal each year but as the OP posed the question from the ex-player...How does a OBD explain the years of ineptitude? Was it lack of accountability, leadership or cronyism in the front office that has led to our decade long absence from contention? I always felt a sense of arrogance from OBD with their evaluations and drafting of personnel and/or FA's but just like Chan...they never could show us any proof of these clever assessments. Because how in the hell could they think this team could compete, with the likes of the coaching in our own division, with a mediocre (at best) coach and a career back-up (with a losing record) as our QB long term and contend for a superbowl? Russ is right in one regard, they has done their best work with the off-field product but even a magician knows that the audience eventually catches on to their tricks. I'll give Russ & the crew a short leash with the "forward thinking" approach but leadership & accountability has to be an organizational foundation to breed success.

If your a fan of a team only when they are winning "you're Not a Real Fan" You're a fan no matter the record & if players want to get paid they better hope I am a fan otherwise they don't have a job

Anyone remember when Trent Edwards said "I am a Football Fan, Not a Buffalo Bills Fan, well that basically killed any support he had with Bills Fans.

Recently, a former player of our team (played within the past 5 years) asked me "why are you still a Bills fan?". He wasn't joking - he was being serious. I was blown away by that comment. I will allow him to remain anonymous. I don't want to get in trouble by sharing his name.

Consider yourself lucky. He could have said, "You have beautiful eyes. Can I buy you a drink?" :ph34r:

Recently, a former player of our team (played within the past 5 years) asked me "why are you still a Bills fan?". He wasn't joking - he was being serious. I was blown away by that comment. I will allow him to remain anonymous. I don't want to get in trouble by sharing his name.

The only answer is "I am from WNY". There is no other answer. If you weren't you very likely wouldn't be a Bills fan. If there was such a stat as which team has gained the most fans not living within 100 miles of where the team plays I dare say the Bills would not fare very well. If you weren't from WNY and say relocated there for work do you honestly think you would become a Bills Fan. A lot of abuse for very little gain.

I live north of Albany and am a member of the Southern Saratoga Bills backers. Every year for the first few games well over 100 fans show up to see games not on local tv. By November the number of fans is under 25, with some games at 15 die hards or so.

So the players question is legitimate as I would guess he is not from WNY and therefore does not bleed Buffalo Bills blue.

On a positive note, a good friend of Mark Anderson, our DE, told me that Mark is real down because he said our team is much better than our record showed.

Two very different perspectives,. Of course, one is done with our team and the other is still on the roster

Did you tell him to ask Thurman and Jim the same question, to their faces?

Sounds like a Donte comment.

Either way, you should probably surround yourself with higher character people who better understand basic human behavior.

On the flip side, I remember reading in his column (which I miss) a few years back Ross Tucker saying Buffalo was his favorite place to play (he also played in NE*, Dallas and Washington) due to the family-like and friendly atmosphere.....

I get this question coming from another fan, actually. But not in seriousness, or not from a FAN. More like a jab from fan to fan. "Dude, why do you even bother with that team?" (Luckily, everyone around me is a Browns fan, and has no room to talk.)

But a player ought to know better. It's our irrational commitment to this team (and the same situation played out around the country) that makes his job possible, and well-compensated (and taxpayer supported). If fans weren't fans beyond any sensible reason, then that guy would be playing for the Canton Bulldogs on a field shared with high school teams and circus elephants.

kj

But a player ought to know better. It's our irrational commitment to this team (and the same situation played out around the country) that makes his job possible, and well-compensated (and taxpayer supported). If fans weren't fans beyond any sensible reason, then that guy would be playing for the Canton Bulldogs on a field shared with high school teams and circus elephants.

I doubt most players have an 'appreciation' for fans or consider that fans are their 'paycheck'. The cashier at the grocery store probably isn't appreciative of the people shopping there.