Could Tarvaris Jackson become our starting QB?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB with NFL experience, we already paid for him with a draft pick so why not use him?

Probably wouldn't be any worse then Fitz, but he isn't under contract. We basically gave up a draft pick to have him watch games from the inactive list. What a brilliant move Buddy?

And paid him somewhere between 1.7M to 2.5M to do just that :wallbash: :wallbash: Nix deserves to be kicked out of this organization for what he did to the QB situation over the past three years.

I agree so much, it just makes me shake my head, how does he still have his job? In one of best years in decades to get a franchise quarterback, he passes and says Fitz "Is the man", now that it is one of the weakest in years for a QB he says we need one? He is so clueless it is amazing. You are right, what he has done to this team, especially the QB position, he should be suspended from working anywhere in this country for at least 5 years.

Realistically though, that's all a 6th round pick is worth. You have a tiny chance of the player becoming a quality starter.....similar to the chance that TJ is/was going to become a quality starter.

I believe it was a conditional 6th and the conditions were not met so it became a 7th. Realistically this move is idiotic. If they had waited a few days they more than likely could have had Jackson for nothing and not have too pay him $2M.

There's audio of an interview with Nix on WGR55 - where Scott Simon asks him - why did you trade for TJ if you weren't going to play him. And Nix says something to the effect of "well we get the players and the coaches decide who plays. You can't just walk into the coach's office and say, 'play the guy' just 'cause you traded for him."

I thought it was very telling. I like that they gave the coach autonomy. But why did they did trade for him in the first place, if the HC was "really not that into him" as far as TJ was concerned?

There's audio of an interview with Nix on WGR55 - where Scott Simon asks him - why did you trade for TJ if you weren't going to play him. And Nix says something to the effect of "well we get the players and the coaches decide who plays. You can't just walk into the coach's office and say, 'play the guy' just 'cause you traded for him."

I thought it was very telling. I like that they gave the coach autonomy. But why did they did trade for him in the first place, if the HC was "really not that into him" as far as TJ was concerned?

What a ridiculous statement and a great example of a disfunctional organization. So either they traded for a guy w/o the HC's buyin, or the HC completely failed the player evaluation before the trade.

OMFG. I never imagined such hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over a 7th rd pick...for a b/u QB no less.

Did it ever occur to y'all that there was NEVER any intention to start Tarvaris Friggin Jackson unless Fitz went down & the sole purpose of the move was to have a better backup? What is so hard to understand about that?

OMFG. I never imagined such hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over a 7th rd pick...for a b/u QB no less.

Did it ever occur to y'all that there was NEVER any intention to start Tarvaris Friggin Jackson unless Fitz went down & the sole purpose of the move was to have a better backup? What is so hard to understand about that?

yeah, but its so much easier to just assume that Nix is a braindead Hick who is incompetent and is only trying to make our lives miserable.

Its more likely Jackson was brought in as an insurance policy if Fitz went down this season to injury while the Bills were fighting for a playoff spot. Thigpen has more experience in the offence that he would be capable enough to fill in to finish a game if needed, but not good enough in their opinion to rely on as a starter.

I don't see what was wrong with the TJ trade, they gave up whats typically a throw away pick to get a guy they had liked in the past, convinced him to re-negotiate to a more team friendly deal for a reserve, and had the chance to work with and see what they guy can do first hand all season during practice. If they waited for him to be cut, he could have signed anywhere, a 7th round pick assured that he couldn't and he was theres.

I would have no problem trying to re-sign him this offseason and let him compete for a job in training camp. For those saying that he isn't good cause the Vikes and Seahawks let him go, the Packers and the Seahawks are letting Flynn go too and theres a big group thats saying the Bills should go after him.

For those saying that he isn't good cause the Vikes and Seahawks let him go, the Packers and the Seahawks are letting Flynn go too and theres a big group thats saying the Bills should go after him.

The Rams and Giants let Kurt Warner go. The Cowboys and Giants let Craig Morton go and he led the Orange Crush to the SB. Several teams let Brad Johnson go and he won the SB. Not saying TJ is as good as any of these guys but do agree just because these other teams let him go does not necessarily mean he sucks.

I guess I never really looked into this before, so Nix traded a sixth round pick away for a QB that did nothing but show up at practice and wear street clothes on game day so that the pick wouldn't escalate to a higher draft pick and he's a free agent at the end of the year? Why is Nix still around? What exactly did they gain by trading for Jackson? My God it's worse than I thought.

It became a 7th because it was conditional. But the situation still remains that with a 7th you may get a starter (see Marcia Brady), or at the very least get some depth and/or a ST player. Nix brought in TJax for one year for the pick, paid him pretty damn well considering, and he was a healthy scratch for every game he was a Buffalo Bill. I wish someone would give me $1Mil+ for doing absolutely nothing. I think that Nix in general has been OK as a GM, but the whole TJax thing was brain dead on his part.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The Rams and Giants let Kurt Warner go. The Cowboys and Giants let Craig Morton go and he led the Orange Crush to the SB. Several teams let Brad Johnson go and he won the SB. Not saying TJ is as good as any of these guys but do agree just because these other teams let him go does not necessarily mean he sucks.

Totally different. Tarvaris has shown no ability to be a super bowl QB. Warner looked like he was a broken man towards the end of his career in St Louis and Bulger was playing well. The giants had also drafted some guy named Eli number 1 over a few months before letting Kurt go

Since he never dressed for the games, no--this never occured to me. Would they call a timeout so TJ could go home and get his uniform?

Thank you.

And it's also worth wondering if, when Jackson leaves as a UFA, the Bills get a compensatory pick for the loss of the player.

So did they give up a 7th round pick to get him and receive a 7th round pick in return when he leaves?

The horror..........

Thank you.

And it's also worth wondering if, when Jackson leaves as a UFA, the Bills get a compensatory pick for the loss of the player.

So did they give up a 7th round pick to get him and receive a 7th round pick in return when he leaves?

The horror..........

Good point. What's everyone yapping about--this is proof that Buddy didn't ignore the QB situation. He addressed it just fine.