Have to agree with Jerry Sullivan this time

BuffaloBill

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. Was thinking the same thing. It started off great withe Pettine little shaky with Hackett to me but we'll see. Then the "no stone unturned" thing kind of fell be the wayside. Cronies are one thing. Populating the staff with people who will "be on the same page" doesn't mean jack if they suck as coaches. Crossman?....really?!? I know Marrone says he will oversee all facets of coaching but it will be overwhelming when your coaches blow.

C. I can't believe folks aren't looking at Bobby April's ST units before, and after, arriving in Buffalo as the perfect example of why the Crossman hire shouldn't be blindly criticized.

This.

I think it's been posted in every thread about Crossman, but it's like people ignore it.

I find no problem with the staff being assembled. He obviously has a vision for his offense and who better to put his vision together than the person who's run his vision already for multiple years. As far as the defense goes, he said he wants an attacking style defensivie coordinator with nfl experience. You don't get much more aggressive defense than the NYJ for the past few years.

C. I can't believe folks aren't looking at Bobby April's ST units before, and after, arriving in Buffalo as the perfect example of why the Crossman hire shouldn't be blindly criticized.

Pointing out the fact that Crossman has presided over horrible special teams 5 out of the last 8 years is not blind criticism. It only comes off as such when you are trying to JUSTIFY the hiring. Comparing Crossman to April. Convenient. And also a JUSTIFICATION.

Carry on.

I just find it interesting that when someone questions a OBD decision, they are viewed as just being negative. That might be true if one were questioning someone in Foxboro. But the Bills have occupied the basement for over 10 YEARS!!!

Amazing.

Most Bills fans are taking a wait and see approach with this team now more than ever. When Marv was introduced, there was a lot of blind optimism. The same could be said when Nix took over, owing to his personnel experience over Brandon and Levy who had little business being GM's.

Sure, there are some homers who'll beat the drum for everything OBD does, but 13 straight losing seasons has most fans remaining ambivalent or emotionally detached from the decision making. That said, I don't think Marrone gets a lot of time and the personnel decisions made this off-season will tell us a lot. As Buddy said, it's time to win and they haven't done it.

Didn't we just fire a guy named Chan Gailey who has several years of NFL experience? He ran our offense and refused to give Spiller the ball and instead opted for Fitz to throw the ball 35 times.

Didn't we also just fire a guy named Dave Wannstedt? The guy has been in the NFL a very long time. Coached great defenses. Was supposed to be a defensive guru. We had some of the worst defenses I've ever seen in my life.

Coaches with extensive experience don't always yield the best results. I'm willing to see what some young up and comers can do before I start abandoning ship before a single down is played.

It is interesting to note that Marrone is getting a Mulligan here. Setting Sullivan aside, the fact is that his staff has little collective NFL experience and many have not coached what would be considered top units. This is especially the case on offense. Time will tell if this is a brilliant strategy or a poor one.

A Mulligan implies that you made a mistake and are getting another shot. As far as I am concerned, we will not know if Marrone has made a mistake ultil we start playing games next season. For all we know, this will be the right coaching staff for the job.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Didn't we just fire a guy named Chan Gailey who has several years of NFL experience? He ran our offense and refused to give Spiller the ball and instead opted for Fitz to throw the ball 35 times.

Didn't we also just fire a guy named Dave Wannstedt? The guy has been in the NFL a very long time. Coached great defenses. Was supposed to be a defensive guru. We had some of the worst defenses I've ever seen in my life.

Coaches with extensive experience don't always yield the best results. I'm willing to see what some young up and comers can do before I start abandoning ship before a single down is played.

This is one point I agree with Schopp about. Idk what he's been saying on air recently,but on Twitter he's been on a crusade against NFL coaches since Saturday with Fox's questionable playcalling.

According to a tweet yesterday, 24 coaches in the league (regardless of length of tenure) NFL head coaches. Not sure if that figure was before or after the Bradley to JAX and Kelly to PHI hires. On top of that, aside from Andy Reid, every coach hired this offseason....first time head coach in the NFL. This is a trend. Guys like Belichick, Reid and Carroll are now the exception, not the norm...first time guys ARE having success in the league.

And I think that is why I am willing to take a wait and see approach with Marrone. I am 24. I barely remember Jim Kelly starting football games. The first game I went to that I actually understood football, Todd Collins was the starter. I have had a long, terrible experience as a Bills fan. And yet I am willing to wait until this guy fails to be all pissy about it. Which means people who actually can REMEMBER the glory years should definitely sack up and get some patience. At least you've got some positive memories. All people my age got were the twilight years of our HOF players.

Edited by JM57

Isn't it curious that just days after a thread emerges on TBD about Marrone hiring his buddies, there is Sully column on the same topic. Voice of the fan or lazy hack? Plus Jerry has heard that Marrone has a thin skin when it comes to the press. So he's breaking out his pitchfork to test him.

You want to see some thin skin? Confront Jerry about an old column where he contradicts his current stance. Stand back and watch the fireworks.

PTR

Perfect summation, PTR...

His biggest fault is he's lazy and writes to the "lowest common denominator" (ie, drunk on a barstool) audience...

Pointing out the fact that Crossman has presided over horrible special teams 5 out of the last 8 years is not blind criticism. It only comes off as such when you are trying to JUSTIFY the hiring. Comparing Crossman to April. Convenient. And also a JUSTIFICATION.

Carry on.

I am fair with the criticisms as long as someone can give me the alternatives. Marrone did say he wanted coaches with NFL experience, but what I remember is that he also followed that up with that he wanted coaches that wanted to be here. With the criticisms running rampant or all the "facts" being laid out there, please tell me who the alternatives for ST coaches that the BIlls had? OC? Any of the other assistant coaches that are being criticized? If Sullivan were a true professional, he would at least provide who the alternatives were. He is a lazy journalist and most of his opinions show that.

Which coaches were willing to come to Buffalo? Did any of you think that maybe the top ST coordinators were planning on sticking with the teams they are having success with? I am not as saavy as some of you, but for comparison purposes what are the rankings of ST for the teams in the Championship games?

One other point that I would like to make is that look at the Ravens win...punt return and a kick return for TD...What was the result? ST can make a difference, but QB is the real difference. Hate to tell you guys that this is a lot simpler than what you guys are probably willing to admit. It's not your ST coach, it's not your assistant coaches... Get the right QB and a lot of our problems go away. As much as I like Buddy, he has missed on several QBs. Pray that he gets it right now!

Except for Sully stating Hackett had only 2 yrs. with the bucs as NFL (he also had two with the Bills under Jauron) , Sully is just stating facts. So, what's the problem? Like I said from the beginning. No one knows what we've got til we see it on the field next season... so, if you think it smells, then don't buy tix or Bills merchandise until you're comfortable the stench has left OBD.

Does working with a Dick Jauron Coaching Staff actually count as NFL Experience?

Just kidding, we have to see how next season plays out?

Edited by BRAWNDO

Carry on.

Convenient because it's directly analogous. Apples to apples. The point is not that Crossman will be a brilliant ST coach for the Bills, but that there is also no reason to immediately write him off as a bogus hire.

1-15 here we come.

Really? Because less than a week ago, you said we'd win 5 games...

Just like then, I'm now going to ask you now for your reasoning behind this, and I assume you'll once again tuck tail and run, failing to provide any reasoning at all, which is why you are a troll.

And as to all of the coaching hires, here's a novel concept: GIVE THE GUYS A CHANCE.

Somehow, the doom-and-gloom mentality of some people simply won't allow them to do that...very sad...I'll bet it makes you a riot to hang out with.

It is interesting to note that Marrone is getting a Mulligan here. Setting Sullivan aside, the fact is that his staff has little collective NFL experience and many have not coached what would be considered top units. This is especially the case on offense. Time will tell if this is a brilliant strategy or a poor one.

wouldn't the mulligan come after he screwed the proverbial pooch?

he's here, we'll know in a year. seems to be jumping the gun to chastise the guy at this point. also, in retrospect, wouldn't the wannstadt hiring have been something we'd agree with?