Senior bowl aftermath: What QB do you want to draft now?

NFL draft QB  

299 members have voted

1. 1. What QB do you want to draft?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should spend at least 3 picks in this draft on QB (including #8) and then at least 3 next year if this year's trio don't work out.

Getting a QB is just too important. No need to put all eggs into one QB basket. As I've mentioned before, I would be okay (nay I'd recommend) using all 14 picks over the next two drafts on QB. Just do it until you get it right. Once you get it right, everything else falls into place. As we've seen over and over and over again with other franchises that find their QB.

Didn't want Nassib in the first place & i sure don't want him now, NOT IN THE FIRST ROUND !!

Maybe as a 2nd rounder or even later but there are other players that could make a bigger difference sooner than a mediocre QB & the money would be better spent !!

We should spend at least 3 picks in this draft on QB (including #8) and then at least 3 next year if this year's trio don't work out.

Getting a QB is just too important. No need to put all eggs into one QB basket. As I've mentioned before, I would be okay (nay I'd recommend) using all 14 picks over the next two drafts on QB. Just do it until you get it right. Once you get it right, everything else falls into place. As we've seen over and over and over again with other franchises that find their QB.

Sar-casm?

I would be happy with two this year, because keeping Fitz is ill-advised and expensive, and the FA options aren't very good.

Right. I think we could argue that the QB has become increasingly important to the style of play in the NFL 17 years later, and we're seeing a premium to the point of overvaluing placed on QB talent in the draft.

The more important the position.....the more value that position has on draft day.

IMO, in addition to the change of style in the NFL.....teams are more and more realizing just how important the QB position is. Simply looking at the starting SB QBs over the last 20+ years will give a great indication of the importance of the position.

Many in this thread are saying that this QB is going to be a star or that QB is going to be a bust. The reality is that nobody actually knows and that all of the QBs have a chance to become HOFers......and the best educated guesses can only figure who might have a better chance.

The question of reaching or overvaluing really comes down to.....is the 15% chance for your QB prospect to become a good NFL player a better choice than your 40% chance for your LB prospect to become a good NFL player with your 1st round pick?

Does not matter what you think Geno Smith is worth. I cannot remember a year in which a QB was not taken with a first-round pick, and he will be taken in the first unless he robs a bank or something. He may be a 2nd round talent in a deeper year, but that is not under his control and as Nix has said, you can't wait for your QB to fall to you.

Also, am I in some alternate universe where WVU didn't throttle Clemson in the Orange Bowl (a BCS game) last year, and Geno wasn't the MVP of that game? Also, does he singlehandedly let the opposition rack up 38 points per game? No QB is going to make it to a championship game with that defense.

Also, am I in some alternate universe where Oregon didn't throttle Kanas St in the Fiesta Bowl. I am pretty sure there defense does give up 38 points a game. Geno Smith is only living off the comparisons to RG3 and Cam Newton. He is neither. He sucks.

Also, am I in some alternate universe where Oregon didn't throttle Kanas St in the Fiesta Bowl. I am pretty sure there defense does give up 38 points a game. Geno Smith is only living off the comparisons to RG3 and Cam Newton. He is neither. He sucks.

Well, there's a reasoned argument. By the way, was Oregon playing in the championship game? I'll wait. Also, they gave up 21.6 points per game, but what's 16 points' difference among people who don't want to be rational?

It's déjà vu all over again. I'm baffled by those that don't like EJ Manuel just like I was when some of you didn't like Colin Kaepernick a couple of years ago. What's not to like?

Arm strength: check

Accuracy: check

Running ability: check

Plays big in big time games: check

Everything else can be coached. So what if he stares down his primary target? So what if he doesn't go through his progressions? TEACH him how! That's what coaching is for! You can't learn how to be fast, or strong, or accurate. But you can learn the rest. One year one the bench and EJ will be ready to go.

People call him inconsistent. If a 68 completion percentage is considered inconsistent then I'll take it. His YPA is amazing, too.

Don't fall for the trap that gets set by the media hype machine. Every year they have their Gabberts and their Kaepernicks. I'm no expert, but I didn't like Gabbert one bit. I loved Kap. My eyes tell me everything I need to know.

I am not saying that Manuel will be good or bad, but the argument that "everything else can be coached" is untrue, in my opinion.

I think that the points that you listed are pretty much necessary, but not sufficient for success.

I think the intangibles of leadership, work-ethic and importantly the ability to see and quickly process what is happening on the field are also necessary. The latter is mental quickness and it is akin to physical quickness. I don't think that those abilities can be coached-in or taught. Good coaching can help a guy improve these skills, but if a guy can't see and process quickly coaching won't make that much better (again, my opinion). If a guy isn't a leader, in college, he likely isn't going to "grow into one".

Edited by OldTimer1960

I am not saying that Manuel will be good or bad, but the argument that "everything else can be coached" is untrue, in my opinion.

I think that the points that you listed are pretty much necessary, but not sufficient for success.

I think the intangibles of leadership, work-ethic and importantly the ability to see and quickly process what is happening on the field are also necessary. The latter is mental quickness and it is akin to physical quickness. I don't think that those abilities can be coached-in or taught. Good coaching can help a guy improve these skills, but if a guy can't see and process quickly coaching won't make that much better (again, my opinion). If a guy isn't a leader, in college, he likely isn't going to "grow into one".

Excellent post and insights. When I read your post the first qb that came to mind was Losman. He had all the physcal skills but couldn't grasp the mental side of the game. He was a very intelligent person but from a football standpoint he never had a "feel" for the game. He put a lot of effort into preparation but making defensive reads never clicked for him. Some people are natural dancers and others have cement feet. If you have it you have it. If you don't you don't .

As the offseason evaluation process advances for qbs there is a good chance that Manuel's ranking goes up. If we like him a lot then certainly his appeal will also go up for other teams, even teams that don't have such a pressing need. Nix has belatedly admitted that for the qb position you have to select a round sooner than you would normally like to for other positions. There is no doubt that it wouldn't be smart to take Manuel at the eight spot in the first round but a trade down would certainly makes sense if the brass believed that he was a worthy prospect.

As a very old fan of the game I learned long ago the insignificance of the Senior bowl....Blue/Gray bowl etc. It has very little bearing on who the Bills (or anyone else) will draft. If any at all. A bunch of players that have never been on the same team. No chemistry between them.

It is what it will be................. and I'll cheer for whatever the idiots running this show decide.

I predict 7-9 next year without even knowing what personnel moves will occur....yes I've been wrong before and I hope I am here. But I think its reasonably safe to say 14 years of non-playoff suckdom are headed our way.

jb

The game was interesting. EJ Wilson was impressive. Overall, it can make a guy fly up draft boards or come down. I still see no elite or franchise QB this year. Bill Polian is correct in his assessment. There are several QBs that can be good and hlep teams There is a difference between a good, middle of the pack QB and the elite, franchise hero. This Super Bowl has the former in starting QBs. So the Bills can draft a good QB, no reaching please, and make the playoffs. If you ever have a chance to land a franchise QB do it! Glennon has the size and arm to do well IMO.

LANDRY JONES!!!! No. He still sucks.

Dysert and Manuel were my favorites going in because I think they can be had in the 2-4th rounds. They're still my favorites because of that. Wilson is my pick if we have to take one in the first (other than Geno and maybe Barkley). We should give Pettine some weapons we can use for years to come instead of a QB that's going to likely piss us all off and get cut in 3 years.

yep, thats why Im going with Bray in the third.

Hoping for CB Millner, but would be happy with DE Werner, LT Fischer, DE Ezekiel Ansah ,OLB Jarvis Jones etc

Not sure if this was mentioned, and I didn't want to wade through nine pages of posts, but guys like Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, and Colin Kaepernick didn't do so hot at the senior bowl either in their years.

Wow really dude? you don't draft three chumps for sake of Getting a QB. Draft one chump this year and try to get a better one next year.

You're correct to a certain extent. Coaching can play a major role in anyone's development, especially when it comes to devising a scheme that plays into an individual's skill set and intelligence.

For example, it is a well known fact that Kelly's K-Gun offense was a simple enough offense that utilized no more than a handful of plays but disguised in multiple formations. This is the type of offense you want your young and inexperienced signal caller to run.

Hackett is familiar with the K-Gun, therefore I believe EJ Manuel makes perfect sense for the Bills because I believe he can thrive in this type of offense.

JP Losman is a bad comparison to make because he isn't as athletically gifted as EJ and his numbers don't even compare to Manuel's either. JP's highest completion percentage in a full season was 59.5. EJ hit 68% of his passes this year. YPA? JP: 7.3 EJ: 8.77. He's throwing the ball further down the field with an almost 10% higher completion percentage than Losman. EJ also faced stiffer competition than JP. It isn't even close.

I've given up. I can't decide. I watch a guy and he looks awesome, then he looks ****ty, then he looks awesome in another game, I like him then I don't, then this other guy looks great...until he doesn't. I'm glad I'm not a scout, I would get fired and have to work for Cleveland.