Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not a fan of daddy boys' coaches because they have everything handed to them, but maybe it's a good thing. Kyle Shanahan was a joke his first 2 years as an OC and then the Skins got RG3. If you get a good QB, magically you become a better coach. Maybe we just caught a rising star instead of a falling one.

I think there's a huge difference here, because Nathaniel and Paul were on the same staff only when NH was offensive quality control coach at Tampa 2005-2007. His name certainly opened up the doors, but the career is fullly Nathaniel's own. He was not following daddy from job to job.

I'm ambivalent about the hire right now, and recognize the obvious risks. Marrone obviously feels confident about letting NH run the offense, so much so that he's already staking out his reputation with his first hire. This is a bit different than AVP's move to OC, because NH has been a coordinator for two years and has called the plays, while AVP never did prior to his sudden promotion. NH's offenses set all-time records, which is nothing to sneeze at.

The only question is will NH handle the step up to set up game plans against more complex NFL defenses? But it's not like the guy just parachuted off a loading dock to run the offense.

If nothing else, Belichick will have no idea what this kid is going to do....because he may have no idea himself. Not saying he doesn't know what he's doing. I'm saying he prolly doesn't have a long-established pattern and might turn on a dime.

That's a good thing.

These are the reasons his knowledge of the "K-Gun" isn't exactly comforting. It doesn't mean no one thinks it can succeed, but it's definitely very high risk.

No where does it say he was using it or running it while he was here last time, It just said that it was while he was here that he picked it up from Kelly and AVP when he was here. It does say that he ran it successfully last year as the OC in Syracuse

The Pettine hire makes the Hackett hire a LOT more palatable for me. I think we're fine with Marrone being an offensive coach who will clearly mold the offense with Hackett being the second banana, even if Hackett is calling plays. With less to worry about on the defensive side knowing Pettine is there with a lot of experience, Marrone can lean a little more on the offense, even if I know he said he was going to be in charge of all three and delegate. If he hired an unknown inexperienced DC I would be worried. A lot. Now I'm excited.

The Pettine hire makes the Hackett hire a LOT more palatable for me. I think we're fine with Marrone being an offensive coach who will clearly mold the offense with Hackett being the second banana, even if Hackett is calling plays. With less to worry about on the defensive side knowing Pettine is there with a lot of experience, Marrone can lean a little more on the offense, even if I know he said he was going to be in charge of all three and delegate. If he hired an unknown inexperienced DC I would be worried. A lot. Now I'm excited.

im in the guarded optimism camp for these reasons. we will see. i just hope im not doing that every third year try to talk myself into drinking the kool aid, even though i know come august ill be all in again, regardless.

im in the guarded optimism camp for these reasons. we will see. i just hope im not doing that every third year try to talk myself into drinking the kool aid, even though i know come august ill be all in again, regardless.

+1..... I mean, such is life when we're Bills fans. Just keep hoping they get it right.

fact is for all we know we will be doing this again in 3 years.. or not. there is no way to tell and the only approach is to be optimistic and wait for the results like we've done 20 times before.

No where does it say he was using it or running it while he was here last time, It just said that it was while he was here that he picked it up from Kelly and AVP when he was here. It does say that he ran it successfully last year as the OC in Syracuse

Huh? Where did I say he ran it in Buffalo?

Its funny how guys were falling all over themselves here wanting Chip Kelly here to run this team, Yet they complain that the new OC hire doesn't have enough experience when he has more NFL experience then Kelly, and almost as much experience as a college OC as Kelly.

this x1,000

.......and the only approach is to be optimistic and wait for the results like we've done 20 times before.

An aggressive pessimistic approach seems to be very common here over the last 5 years or so.

Its funny how guys were falling all over themselves here wanting Chip Kelly here to run this team, Yet they complain that the new OC hire doesn't have enough experience when he has more NFL experience then Kelly, and almost as much experience as a college OC as Kelly.

WTF? Kelly has been an OC for 14 years. Hackett 2.

Here's a very good article about him...

Syracuse's Nathaniel Hackett to Buffalo Bills is no surprise to some, a big surprise to others

It's threads like this that make me wish next year's schedule was released so we could start the "Dinner's On Me, Smartass" Competition.

You could always do a "Guess the schedule and win a happy meal from McDonalds" now that we know the opponents.

He cut his teeth literally on the K/gun offense that could be exciting if he implements it in this system & he had to learn something from his dad, kind of like Byrd did .

Which if he has we could be in for a good ride !!