Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

I think you're a little off base. Cam Newton was ripped apart. There were questions about RG3's slight frame and playing style. Aaron Rodgers went #24. Joe Flacco was a goofy looking dude who played at Delaware. Wilson was too short. Kaepernick and Rivers throw funny. Big Ben played in the MAC. Etc.

Unless you're Manning or Luck, QB prospects always get picked apart. All we have to go on is what the media draft "experts" say. NFL teams draft boards might look very different. There might be a run on QBs in the 1st or one might not be taken. Tomorrow should be very interesting either way.

I agree, very few prospects come out as can't miss. I think many of those guys you mentioned though were thought of considerably better than this group.

I'm all in tomorrow no matter what. Should be a lot of fun to watch!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're a little off base. Cam Newton was ripped apart. There were questions about RG3's slight frame and playing style. Aaron Rodgers went #24. Joe Flacco was a goofy looking dude who played at Delaware. Wilson was too short. Kaepernick and Rivers throw funny. Big Ben played in the MAC. Etc.

Unless you're Manning or Luck, QB prospects always get picked apart. All we have to go on is what the media draft "experts" say. NFL teams draft boards might look very different. There might be a run on QBs in the 1st or one might not be taken. Tomorrow should be very interesting either way.

Well said. :thumbsup:

I will admit my bias, because I have seen him play horribly live a few times, and it has surely slanted my opinion of him.

I also think he has a weak arm. And I am a huge advocate of you must have one, even if accuracy and ball placement are more important.

Its funny, I saw him play live against Stanford when it went into 3 OT's in 2011. He went toe to toe with Luck, and in many ways in that game I thought he outplayed Luck. I wouldn't say I fell in love with him at that point. But I certainly paid attention to him and had much more respect for him.

Peter King@SI_PeterKing 11m

RT @nfldraftscout: Three sources I trust very much are saying the #Bills prefer Matt Barkley over Ryan Nassib ... Crescendo building.

Chris Wesseling@ChrisWesseling 11m

Re: Bills QB plans. http://NFL.com 's @AlbertBreer also hears the team might like Barkley more than Nassib http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162940/article/bills-reportedly-eyeing-matt-barkley-not-ryan-nassib …

Is anyone else having a hard time getting anything done at work the day before the draft?!?

i have today off, tomorrow is going to be hell though, and even worse will be working friday and saturday while all the experts are weighing in on the picks. sometimes i hate working for a living.

Why, in the few days prior to the draft, would one of relatively few people in the know about the Bills plans, tell the truth to a reporter about something as important as who the team prefers between two players like Barkley and Nassib who are potential 1st round QB picks. Why would they do that?

There may be reasons I am not thinking of. I can think of many as to why they would lie to the reporter. I understand that reporters, and there are some very good ones locally and nationally, develop relationships with executives who feed them information at times for various personal and professional reasons. I understand why some people love to be the man with the secret. But I can't really see why anyone right now, who worked for the team, and wanted them to succeed, would tell a reporter the truth about who the team genuinely has higher rated on their board (which may not even be done until tonight).

I am near complete agreement. I say "near" because Payton Manning had many detractors too.

i have today off, tomorrow is going to be hell though, and even worse will be working friday and saturday while all the experts are weighing in on the picks. sometimes i hate working for a living.

That! I love my work for what I want to do...I simply hate when money gets in the middle..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well take Barkley or whoever you like at QB Buddy Nix, lots of us will smile if you do.

The league knows we need a QB, the fans know we need a QB and its almost time to do it.

Just do it :)

Did NIKE Pay you to say that :rolleyes:

Good catch 0-4 against Florida. Guy can't win a big game.

And he had great difficulty winning the big ones against Tom Brady!!!

I think you could easily debate that this ended up being true. His playoff record is not very impressive.

Oh 100% true. I think Manning is the greatest regular season QB ever but isn't even the conversation for best postseason QBs.

That said, I'd settle for Manning over guys like Losman or Edwards. but that's just my stupid opinion. :nana:

Oh 100% true. I think Manning is the greatest regular season QB ever but isn't even the conversation for best postseason QBs.

That said, I'd settle for Manning over guys like Losman or Edwards. but that's just my stupid opinion. :nana:

Well that opinion can't be refuted. I often wondered if Manning was more a victim of circumstance. He played for some suspect head coaches (I never liked Dungy, Caldwell was a bum, and Mr. Playoff?!?! himself - prob best of bunch). The teams around him imo were never as good as the teams he was facing and only got where they did because of his skill. The year he missed the wheels fell off. I guess what I'm trying to say can be summed up this way.

Patriots without Tom Brady (who many hold as an excellent playoff qb) 11-5. Colts without Peyton 2-14. Playoffs to me are when TEAMS shine. Qbs will get you there but teams will win it and Peyton just never had the team (except when the Bears gifted them one).

John Elway was nearly universally thought of as THE Number 1 QB in 1983. He was a slam-dunk sure thing. Except, his detractors said he never won a bowl game. In fact, I think Stanford never WENT to a bowl game while he was there. That, and he was a baseball player too.

Nobody's "perfect" in everyone's eyes.

Well that opinion can't be refuted. I often wondered if Manning was more a victim of circumstance. He played for some suspect head coaches (I never liked Dungy, Caldwell was a bum, and Mr. Playoff?!?! himself - prob best of bunch). The teams around him imo were never as good as the teams he was facing and only got where they did because of his skill. The year he missed the wheels fell off. I guess what I'm trying to say can be summed up this way.

Patriots without Tom Brady (who many hold as an excellent playoff qb) 11-5. Colts without Peyton 2-14. Playoffs to me are when TEAMS shine. Qbs will get you there but teams will win it and Peyton just never had the team (except when the Bears gifted them one).

I think Dungy is a really good coach and every bit as good as Belichick (TD was much more successful in his 1st stop than BB was). But I do think there is a clutch gene some guys have. Peyton chokes a bit in the big moments. Eli, who's not as good as Peyton and looks like he can't add 2 +2 (it's 4 btw), is money in the clutch. Same with Brady.

To bring it back to the topic, Barkley has played pretty well in big games. USC is as big of a stage as there is. He basically matched Luck stat for stat in 2 games. He did everything he possibly could against Oregon. I think this kid is being way undervalued.