Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. I realize Belichick is preparing for the playoffs, but he can't like help but laugh at what he's seeing in Buffalo.

A green HC, a green OC, and a gang green DC. Provides some comic relief to an otherwise busy week.

Edited by reddogblitz

Don't be a hater.

Not a hater; a realist.

Haing said so, the 29, 49, 30 and 37 pts the Pats scored on the Jets these last 4 games is better than the 52, 37, 31 and 49 the Pats scored on the Bills over the same timeeframe.

Edited by Pneumonic

Not a hater; a realist.

Haing said so, the 29, 49, 30 and 37 pts the Pats scored on the Jets these last 4 games is better than the 52, 37, 31 and 49 the Pats scored on the Bills over the same timeeframe.

i was just joking that you were bringing the numbers in when everyone was talking about shutting them down. were still in the honeymoon phase (wanny will make us top 5). if we give up 28 points any game in september it will be fire them all.

Not sure if anyone else posted this, and I usually do not put much stock in BleacherReport articles but article below actually has an interesting breakdown of the type of defensive flexibility Pettine has incorporated over the years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1477149-what-does-mike-pettine-bring-as-defensive-coordinator-for-buffalo-bills

Not a hater; a realist.

We have to remember that the Jets offense was so anemic that the Pats had the ball a lot more against the Jets that they should have. You go 3 and out ten times against the Pats, they'll put up a lot of points against any defense. With a decent QB and a good running game, the Bills should be able to shorten a game and allow a more aggressive defense to get stops and turnovers. I think the 2012 Bills had only ONE defensive TD all year and it was against...the Jets. Pettine should be able to improve a lot on that.

A green HC, a green OC, and a gang green DC. Provides some comic relief to an otherwise busy week.

You're right. Gailey, Modkins, and Wannstedt certainly struck fear into Belichick's heart.

Ummm, the Pats scored 29, 49, 30 and 37 points against the Jets the last 2 seasons.

Didn't Sanchez score many of those points? :P

Compared with the OC where Marrone will have a larger hand in the cookie jar, I think it is much more important to have someone with experience, and a guy who had a top D in our division is definitely a plus.

I'm leary about the 3-4 aspect, especially since the Giants' 4-3 is what beat Brady twice so I think it is a wiser scheme as well as our personnel matching better, but I'm open to it.

What we have to be very careful of (Troup in the second!) is not getting inferior talent in the draft because we really need that position in our new scheme. Play with the guys we have, draft the best players, and fill in some gaps in free agency.

By the way, in our first year of officially being a 4-3, we allowed 362Yds/G (22nd) and 27.2PPG (26th)

Compare that to two years ago in the 3-4 without Mario and Dareus when it was 361Yds/G (24th) and 26.6PPG (28th) and I don't think our better fit scheme and two big name players really made things much different. I similarly don't think making the guys we have play a 3-4 would be a huge failure and expect a step forward on talent and coaching even if our personnel isn't a perfect fit and BJ Raji and Aldon Smith aren't miraculously added to our team.