Bills Have ? Cap Space

T master

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Bills can actually save nearly $500K against the salary cap by cutting Ryan Fitzpatrick after this season". Taken from this NBC page http://www.rotoworld...yan-fitzpatrick

So cut him to save a half mill in cap space would be stupid because

1. A decent backup will cost more than that to sign

2. There is no indication that anyone can be signed/drafted that is any better than Fitz.

I just love how the peanut gallery wants to cut a guy when there is no guarantee that anyone better available.

But you saw what Fitz is. he will not take you to the next level. he just wont. He has had more than enough time to prove it.

And bringing him back is not a good idea either because guys in the locker room will still see him as the starter. You are putting your new QB in a bad spot. No thanks. I want to cut Fitz because he is not the answer. i do not care if it saves .50. It is time to move on for the Bills and for him

I wouldn't worry about cap space. There are enough moves to make to get rid of players to sign Levitre and/or Byrd.

Exactly. Levitre and Byrd can be kept and still sign other FAs. Marrone will cut the dead weight. IE: McGee, Kelsay...

Cutting Fitz only saves about half a million from the cap

actually I believe cutting him NOW saves us from paying the roster bonus and offseason workout bonus so it would be more then .5 mil.. It would be more like 3 mil, leaving us with 6- 7 million dead cap..

If the website is accurate, these are the cap moves that you make that don't really affect the team on the field:

Player Cap Savings

Kelsay $4.1 Million

McGee 2.1

G. Wilson 3.37

Brad Smith 2.75

Total: $12.3 million

That gives you $32+ million to work with. Draft choices will probably be net $6-77 million.

Fitz is only $450k but probably is done too.

Re-signing Levitre and Byrd will probably cost $12-14 million against the cap, so that leaves you about $12-14 million for free agents, enough to bring in 3 solid players, probably no superstars.

Edited by jwhit34

saving 500K to salary cap doesn't seem like a smart decision...in the grand scheme of things. does it?

i bet it saves a hell of a lot the following year if we pull the bandaid off now - ie 10m.

and the one article does reference saving 4m in cap space this year.

plus, real cash is always a consideration

Well how about we find a starting QB before talking about reconstructering or cutting Fitz? How about THAT?

I think they're going to start fresh, even if it's a 2nd round rookie QB. Fitz is ok but not good enough, which means he'll win you enough games to drop your draft spot. I'd rather take a chance on someone new and if they fail and we suck then lets get in the top spot for a stud QB.

Coaching means so much less than having a great QB. Our problem these past few years was never coaching.

By the way, whoever you are NY33, you need to chill out and stop attacking people. I think the Tmaster's post was legitimate, and even if you disagree with someone's take, try a friendlier approach next time. This isn't the Jets board you know.......

Looks like Barnett, Kelsay, and McGee amount to (not quite) 10 million in cap space. McGee might stay, but then again he can't stay on the field so why bother. Why not shop for a competent veteran CB who can stay healthy.

Ideas: Quentin Jammer, or Sean Smith.

Why don't you confirm your facts before posting nonsense? That's something of a rhetorical question, but take the time to do basic research before posting b.s.

do you have anything valid to add, or just trolling around. He admitted he was not sure about the Fitz situation, which is complex, which is why teams have "salary cap" experts. Calm down.

If the website is accurate, these are the cap moves that you make that don't really affect the team on the field:

Player Cap Savings

Kelsay $4.1 Million

McGee 2.1

G. Wilson 3.37

Brad Smith 2.75

Total: $12.3 million

That gives you $32+ million to work with. Draft choices will probably be net $6-77 million.

Fitz is only $450k but probably is done too.

Re-signing Levitre and Byrd will probably cost $12-14 million against the cap, so that leaves you about $12-14 million for free agents, enough to bring in 3 solid players, probably no superstars.

a solid OLB would be nice. or perhaps urlacker for one year. Also need a solid DB. Seems like they are in decent shape if they resign Byrd and Levitre and pickup a QB, LB, and CB in the draft that can start on day one. A daunting draft task, but they got a day one starter on OL and CB last year.

I think they're going to start fresh, even if it's a 2nd round rookie QB. Fitz is ok but not good enough, which means he'll win you enough games to drop your draft spot. I'd rather take a chance on someone new and if they fail and we suck then lets get in the top spot for a stud QB.

Coaching means so much less than having a great QB. Our problem these past few years was never coaching.

By the way, whoever you are NY33, you need to chill out and stop attacking people. I think the Tmaster's post was legitimate, and even if you disagree with someone's take, try a friendlier approach next time. This isn't the Jets board you know.......

Appreciate you but i had read the information wrong & over looked some things . Hey it ain't the first time & it sure won't be the last !!! But it has generated a bunch of conversation . After our spat i went back & read over every thing & dude was right i was talking out the wrong side of my face. Lesson learned ...

But you saw what Fitz is. he will not take you to the next level. he just wont. He has had more than enough time to prove it.

And bringing him back is not a good idea either because guys in the locker room will still see him as the starter. You are putting your new QB in a bad spot. No thanks. I want to cut Fitz because he is not the answer. i do not care if it saves .50. It is time to move on for the Bills and for him

I agree. We don't need the potential drama of having Fitz around. Not that he would cause any, but if we bring in a starter and he has a bad game, some players will grumble about putting Fitz back in. Until he has a bad game, then they'll want the other guy again, etc.

Well how about we find a starting QB before talking about reconstructering or cutting Fitz? How about THAT?

Because everybody is running under the premise that Fitz will not be the starting QB next season.

They are doing this due to Nix stating that finding a Franchise QB is the #1 priority.

Appreciate you but i had read the information wrong & over looked some things . Hey it ain't the first time & it sure won't be the last !!! But it has generated a bunch of conversation . After our spat i went back & read over every thing & dude was right i was talking out the wrong side of my face. Lesson learned ...

you said you might be talking out of the side of your face. So what, its a blog, it got conversation started, no reason for someone to attack you like that. People found some more correct numbers. Don't be afraid to post again. Haters need a hobby, some of them unfortuniatly end up here.

Because everybody is running under the premise that Fitz will not be the starting QB next season.

They are doing this due to Nix stating that finding a Franchise QB is the #1 priority.

I understand THAT side of it cuz I also am one who does not want Fitz as the starter next year. But unlike every other signing that's been going on in the offseason, I'm holding my breath on the QB position and hoping that Fitz doesn't "outsmart" our new head coach and talk him into thinking he can get the job done. I think it's only right we wait and get a QB before talking about getting rid of Fitz or keeping him.