Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

What? You got him for a quarter of Kelly's asking price? Great job Rus.

Ralph

The more things change, the more they stay the same...color me very skeptical!

I hope it works for our organization but on the surface this smells of a marketing move. His overall record 25-25 in the Big East (11-17 conference wise) does not seem to inspire the demand for a jump to the NFL as HC, IMO. It seems that the Bills organization has a high opinion of themselves but they have absolutely NOTHING to support their reasoning. Let's see if this guy can bring in some coordinators on both sides of the ball that can match wits with Billicheat, Rex & Philbin.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any given Sunday. Maybe 5 or 6 wins. Even Jauron won 7.

Any given Sunday is fair enough... Especially in a league where the level of talent across teams is, for the most part, fairly close. And while I'll readily admit that Marrone wasn't my first choice, he did field winning teams for a college program that was coming off of consecutive double-digit loss seasons in a relatively short period of time - and by no one's account did SU have a particularly talented roster.

In fact, from what I've read about him so far, he sounds like a guy who is highly respected throughout the league - and he does have NFL experience as both, a player, and a coach.

Drew Brees seems to think more highly of Marrone than you do. You don't know me from Adam, nor I you, so understand that it's nothing personal, but I find myself valuing Brees' thoughts on our new coach much more than I do yours.

Will Marrone lead Buffalo to a Super Bowl win? I hope so, but given that only 1 in 32 coaches each year leads their team to hoisting a Lombardi, the odds are certainly against him. That being said, wouldn't you agree that it's a bit premature to bury the guy and claim his hiring is "the worst possible thing that could have happened" before he's even held his first minicamp OTA?

Look up the Lovie Smith thread. This guy has zero to offer beyond what he's been posting here.

LS: "I don't like X"

TSW: "Why? Can you provide some support / facts / evidence for your position?"

LS: "X sucks."

TSW: "about that evidence?"

LS: "it's not my fault that you're delusional."

One cannot argue or converse with a brick wall. I'm guessing Literate Stylish didn't lead a turnaround for the SU debate team in college.

You probably shouldn't lie about someone when there is still proof that what you say is not the case.

Here is a post of mine from the Lovie thread.

How many of those 10 wins were against playoff teams?

I'll give you a minute....

1-5 against playoff teams

9-1 against non-playoff teams (Rams, Jaguars, Lions(2x), Cardinals, Panthers, Titans, Cowboys)

He beat some of the worst teams in the entire NFL and got beat by the good ones. That 10-6 record doesn't sound so great anymore, huh?

No reason right? No evidence right? Keep lying.

My thoughts on the hire:

1] There is a lot to like about him, and not a lot to dislike, but a lot to be very concerned over because he hasn't done it yet.

2] He surely is ready for it. Was there any coach who got four different teams into him?

3] The big key is who he brings in a DC. That may tell a lot about his entire staff.

4] I read somewhere last week, although I don't know the source, that it was Whaley who was really behind the Marrone pick at the start.

5] I like the young, different offensive thinking, aggressive guy. That's the best part of it.

6] He definitely knows the NFL, from his pedigree, and it's obviously great that a lot of guys like him. The thing we don't know is do they just like him as a guy or as a football mind. Everyone loved Jauron and Chan, too, but it was because they were great guys more than great coaches.

7] It matters not what we think now. It matters how he does, probably the second half of his first season.

8] Nassib is an unknown to me, so I will reserve judgment on that.

9] This is not a marketing hire at all, and it's really foolish to think so.

10] Let's start building a staff!

Again, Kelly has done a great job on summarizing my thoughts as well.

I like that he is fiery, will be a Head Coach and NOT calling plays. I like how he turned SU around, I like that he was a coach in the NFL (granted he was the Saints version of Curtis Modkins). Learning and working closely with Brees and Sean Payton is a damn good thing and his Jets Olines were pretty damn good as well.

I thought he was the biggest darkhorse of them all. None of the candidates out there blew my socks off (I did want Chuckie); but I am ok with this hire. I am very interested to see what his coaching staff will be like though.

I also suppose Nassib might be our QB of the future...

Situational situations?

GO BILLS!!!

LOL that does sound funny.

I mean:

Punting from the 37 yard line.

Passing on 3rd and 1.

Running on 3rd and 10 (one of my biggest pet peeves - draw plays on 3rd and 10).

Typically, yes, it's 100% known whether the OC or HC is the play caller.

You dont watch much college do you? Its much different than the NFL.

For the record, Marrone did NOT call the plays when he was the Saints offensive coordinator.

But the ultimate question is, does he punt from inside the opponents forty? Does Nassib (sp?) have a strong arm?

Nassib has a strong arm, but that's putting the QB in front of the draft, isn't it? B-)

I don't recall getting ticked off about him punting rather than going for a first down. I've seen LS's posts but it didn't job my memory. What you have to know is what was the game situation? What are the capabilities of the kicker (it's college, you may be outside his accurate range).

If anyone expects to agree with 100% of coaching decisions they will be disappointed.

Edit...you also have to factor in how the Syracuse defense was playing in a specific game. If they were dominating punting isn't a bad thing, is it?

Edited by Beerball

Doesn't matter to NoSaint. He just wants to find a reason - any reason - to discredit my points.

Good one. :rolleyes:

The problemis you is think you have him figured out as a coach but don't seem to know much beyond end results. Those only tell so much of the story. Why not learn more about him instead of going nuts and throwing a tantrum about it

Edited by NoSaint

Listening to reporters who have covered SU, it is clear that he changed the culture of losing in Syracuse and that he has the reputation for developing players. Ex: Chandler Jones and probably improving Nassib's draft position in April.

He was in demand, interviewed by Browns twice and the Chargers were preparing an offer and on the Eagles radar as well.

Will he be a successful NFL HC, who knows?

But for once I am glad the Bills are thinking outside the box.

Typically, yes, it's 100% known whether the OC or HC is the play caller.

Really? I don't think I could tell you who call the plays for Alabama or Notre Dame. Can you? Not trying to argue with you but it is true that the Head Coach is ultimately responsible. Even Beerball has stated the same things concerning some questionable playcalling.

Listening to reporters who have covered SU, it is clear that he changed the culture of losing in Syracuse and that he has the reputation for developing players. Ex: Chandler Jones and probably improving Nassib's draft position in April.

He was in demand, interviewed by Browns twice and the Chargers were preparing an offer and on the Eagles radar as well.

Will he be a successful NFL HC, who knows?

But for once I am glad the Bills are thinking outside the box.

Link?

I mean:

Passing on 3rd and 1.

Running on 3rd and 10 (one of my biggest pet peeves - draw plays on 3rd and 10).

For the record, Marrone did NOT call the plays when he was the Saints offensive coordinator.

Watch plenty.

And yes, I was a saints season ticket holder so I'm aware

Really? I don't think I could tell you who call the plays for Alabama or Notre Dame. Can you? Not trying to argue with you but it is true that the Head Coach is ultimately responsible. Even Beerball has stated the same things concerning some questionable playcalling.

He is used to the NFL where it is known. He doesnt realize college is different.

If Russ Brandon wants to regionalize the Bills, maybe he should scrap the Toronto series and schedule a game in the Carrier Dome.

It wouldn't be a surprise if they played at least an exhibition game there - but that might expand the television blackout area.

I mean:

Passing on 3rd and 1.

Each one of those situations depends on the situational circumstance precluding it. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for a coach to decide to do any of those things. That's not a defense of Gailey's decisions, only a different way of saying, "never say never."

GO BILLS!!!