Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan felt like a loser decision right from the start.....as did Skeletor.....

This feels different. Lets watch the man build his staff.....and hope that his relationship with the FO in terms of personnell is a good one. Lets see who he keeps around and the type of player they start to bring in.

Something feels good about this.

To everyone who thinks this hire is a typical Bills loser move...

-The Bills are the 2nd team out of 7 to hire a coach. When have we ever been anything but the last team picking through scraps?

-If Marrone is such a nobody why were other NFL teams interviewing him? How many interviews did Chan get 3 years ago?

-If Brandon in charge is business as usual then why did the Bills line up interviews with almost all the big candidates, and even had coaches travel to us?

Are the Bills Super Bowl bound now? Who knows, but you have to be the biggest hater to say nothing has changed with the Bills.

PTR

You find it funny now.

Wait a couple years and see if you dont agree.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I think it is pointless to tear him apart until you see who he brings in as assistants.... That is really what will make or break him. I can't see how anyone can really be so sure until we see who he hires. Total knee jerk reaction on your part

They did NOT play uninspired. I'll give him that. He always had them up to play hard. But did he punt from the 40 yard line instead of going for 4th and 2? Yep. Did he not trust his kicker to make FG's? Yep. Did he have Nassib pass in many 3rd and short situations that should have been easy runs? Yep.

Thanks for the response. As far as the play calling ( passing on 3rd and short ) do you know if he called the plays or did his OC call the plays? Was there a reason he did not trust his Kicker? Did he rely too much on his defense when punting on 4th and 2?

WGR is reporting that he was the top choice for the Chargers and the Bills decided to snag him before he was able to leave town and interview with SD.

Also hearing conflicting reports that he was the first or second choice in Cleveland. I'm more likely to believe 2nd.

Also the 2nd choice for Philly. The guy looks like a no nonsense type of coach.

Looks like he has everybody fooled..................LOL

Please explain why For sure Kelly is a better coach or is it just because he was the hot coach? Oregon was a top 10 team before him & is bank rolled by Nike. Kelly runs a wide open no huddle offense, well Cuse does as well with kids a lot less talented than the blue chippers Oregon gets.

I have no idea who the better coach will be but it seems like some of u just are ripping the move because Marrone wasn't the name guy.

Nothing is for sure. But I think people were looking for a choice to be inspired about. To get psyched and believe we have the guy (at either President, GM or Coach) to turn it around. Nothin that happened over the past week has any pop or sizzle. Nor does it scream than anything will be different.

My thing is: it can't get much worse.

Edited by JPS

WGR is reporting that he was the top choice for the Chargers and the Bills decided to snag him before he was able to leave town and interview with SD.

Also hearing conflicting reports that he was the first or second choice in Cleveland. I'm more likely to believe 2nd.

Also the 2nd choice for Philly. The guy looks like a no nonsense type of coach.

Looks like he has everybody fooled..................LOL

Link? I know you heard it on the radio, but Id be very interested in reading about that.

Don't know much about Marrone other than a few articles and the Pinstripe Bowl, but I will stay cautiously optimistic. I always wonder what it is that makes a team choose one candidate with NO NFL experience over another candidate with a winning record. I really thought Lovie woud be a good fit with our defensive roster. I know we would have needed a real OC... maybe that's where it fell through. I understand that a person with no NFL experience has the most potential, but thats potential for both success AND failure. I don't know, maybe after all these failed attempts at rebuilding, I wanted the safe choice to get to a winning record and respectability even if didn't mean getting to the SB or winning it all. I know this is the wrong attitude to have, but I am just tired of being the armpit of the NFL. I am not sure I have the stomach to go through another:

year 1: excitement over potential met with reality over starting fresh and a tough year met with fan understanding and patience while a new system is instilled

Year 2: Some evidence of progress, but concern over fundamental issues with play calling, personnel, and execution

Year 3 off season free agent signings and draft make us all hope that we have addressed all the holes we have and that this is the year that we make it to the playoffs, only to realize that we are a hot mess of a team even with the added talent, and that this whole coaching staff needs to go.

I know it may not turn out this way, but it HAS turned out this way for the past umpteen years. I feel like with Lovie, I could have settled into a comfortable bliss of teams like the bears, cowboys, and to some extent, the chargers, who remain respectable, and give their fans something to cheer about, even if they don't ever make it to the level of the consistently elite. Again I know this is the wrong attitude to have, we should always be swinging for the fences, but its just so hard to think that we may entering another 3 years of futility.

On the positive note, Marrone did a great job developing Nassib, seems to do very well with a two back offense which optimizes and/or hides his QB's inexperience or weakness, and seems like he knows how to build from mediocrity to success (at least in college).

for lovie to work, he would need a good OC (who was really willing and available?), an established QB (he has never successfully developed a QB, so you would have to add that characteristic to the OC candidate), and someone who knows how to use running backs well (lovie never got full potential out of Forte, so add that to the OC characteristic as well). At the end of the day, we would have to implicitly trust all offensive personnel decisions and playcalling decisions to a person that we did not feel was as good of a HC candidate as lovie. Its possible that person does not exist, or if they did, they would be the head coach. Hell, maybe that person is Marrone!

Fine! Dammit, I am signing back up for more torture.

Here's to hope that we'll be saying "GIMME SOME MORE-RONE!"! Rather than, "this team is led by a MORON-ne!"

Thanks for the response. As far as the play calling ( passing on 3rd and short ) do you know if he called the plays or did his OC call the plays? Was there a reason he did not trust his Kicker? Did he rely too much on his defense when punting on 4th and 2?

That im not sure of. But the blame ultimately falls on the Head Coach either way. If it was the OC, then he should have corrected him after the 3rd or 4th time.

Very much relying on his defense.

I choose to have the wait and see approach. I really don't know much about Marrone, but being a life long Bills fanatic, I really hope he is the man for the job. I will support him, what choice do I have? want this team to be a winner, just like everyone here does. I refuse to be a hater towards him. I wish him the best.

GO BILLLSSSS!

I like the man and really appreciate what he was able to accomplish at Syracuse. I watched most of his games his offensive was creative and his defense disruptive. He will bring passion to the job.

What I didn't like...the team was undiciplined. Penalties at exactly the wrong time kept a decently talented team from reaching their potential. Hopefully he figures this out (and in fairness Syracuse was better in this respect by year end).