"You can't have too many good ones" - Bill Parcells

Like many other things in the world, it is critical to take a step back and remember that we don't need to reinvent the wheel!

I'm interested in everyone's take on this quote:

"I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones" - Bill Parcells

I've always loved this take on defense and The Big Tuna's outlook.

Regardless of who we bring in as HC and DC... I'd love to see them take this approach through free agency and the draft.

Thoughts?

LT, Harry Carson, Brian Kelley, Pepper Rodgers, Jesse Armstead.

Yeah his teams always had lots of good linebackers.

I think you meant Pepper Johnson. Don't forget Carl Banks either.

Another thing about Parcells and linebackers: he loved 'em BIG. His linebackers were always at the big end of the scale, especially by the standards of the day.

I think you meant Pepper Johnson. Don't forget Carl Banks either.

Another thing about Parcells and linebackers: he loved 'em BIG. His linebackers were always at the big end of the scale, especially by the standards of the day.

Yep. He favored big linebackers, of course he played a 3-4 scheme.

He also loved Bryan Cox and had him on the Jets and Miami I believe.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

LT, Harry Carson, Brian Kelley, Pepper Rodgers, Jesse Armstead.

Yeah his teams always had lots of good linebackers.

yeah--one of the best LB corps ever.--I did like the New orleans group from the 90s-Sam Mills, Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, and Vaughan Johnson--IMHO the best LB corps ever.

it dependes on the system, two or three years ago the NYG said a similar thing about pass rushers(i guess it was when they draft JPP)

I remember. it was the Eli-Rivers trade, when SD wanted Osi Umenyora(recently drafted). sorry maybe no relation

Edited by bills chin

yeah--one of the best LB corps ever.--I did like the New orleans group from the 90s-Sam Mills, Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, and Vaughan Johnson--IMHO the best LB corps ever.

When we talk about great units like this you are correct, it comes down to opinion.

I was very young, but the best I remember were the old Chiefs, with Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier (both in HOF) and Jim Lynch.

Also, the Steelers trio of Ham, Lambert and Russell wasn't too shabby. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

Speaking of Linebackers, I just saw that the Jones kid from Georgia is coming out . . . I know everyone thinks we should draft a QB in every round, but he is the kind of player that can make an immediate difference. And at the end of the day (or season), it was far more the let-down of the defense that hurt this team than the QB.

Time to find our own group of great Linebackers, ignoring that position hasn't worked.

IMHO the best linebacker corp. in Bills history has to be Mike Stratton, John Tracy and Harry Jacobs. This was a group that during their tenure gave up very few rushing touchdowns and helped to carry the bills to their second championship season especially. True they had a strong front four in McDole, Sestak, Dunaway and Day, but as a group, they were the best in Bills history.

Like many other things in the world, it is critical to take a step back and remember that we don't need to reinvent the wheel!

I'm interested in everyone's take on this quote:

"I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones" - Bill Parcells

I've always loved this take on defense and The Big Tuna's outlook.

Regardless of who we bring in as HC and DC... I'd love to see them take this approach through free agency and the draft.

Thoughts?

As long as the new coach uses them & doesn't keep them inactive all season hey i'm for it , but if they get these players & they sit what's the sense ???

Seeing as there are no clear cut #1's at QB this year i say blow the bank on Teo !! That would be a great start !!!

Edited by T master

IMHO the best linebacker corp. in Bills history has to be Mike Stratton, John Tracy and Harry Jacobs. This was a group that during their tenure gave up very few rushing touchdowns and helped to carry the bills to their second championship season especially. True they had a strong front four in McDole, Sestak, Dunaway and Day, but as a group, they were the best in Bills history.

Definitely the best 4-3 LB group in Bills history (circa 1964). The best 3-4 LB group in Bills history was probably Bennett-Conlan-Bentley-Talley (circa 1990).

Edited by Marc Miller

Speaking of Linebackers, I just saw that the Jones kid from Georgia is coming out . . . I know everyone thinks we should draft a QB in every round, but he is the kind of player that can make an immediate difference. And at the end of the day (or season), it was far more the let-down of the defense that hurt this team than the QB.

Time to find our own group of great Linebackers, ignoring that position hasn't worked.

Are you in favor of switching back to a 3-4?

Definitely the best 4-3 LB group in Bills history (circa 1964). The best 3-4 LB group in Bills history was probably Bennett-Conlan-Bentley-Talley (circa 1990).

Excellent work. This transcends opinion and borders on absolute fact. Irrefutable is the word I'm looking for here.

GO BILLS!!!