Bills coach search update

He can prepare as much as he wants, but he must stay within the hours perscribed by the NFL players union contract. So much for the preparation argument. Everybody gets the same amount of practice time. No more extra sessions etc.

He can prepare as much as he wants, but he must stay within the hours perscribed by the NFL players union contract. So much for the preparation argument. Everybody gets the same amount of practice time. No more extra sessions etc.

I'm not on the Chip Kelly bandwagon. Yet.

But to your point, the NCAA has restrictions on practice time for their student athletes.

Chip Kelly's clockwork like practices was his method for getting more valuable practice reps in the same amount of time as his opponents.

Don't be so upset and outraged.

Leave me alone!

Can't you see how upset and outraged I am?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't just win games with a high tempo offense. Who's going to coach the defense, some rookie college coach?? What connections does Kelly have in the NFL??

We need to hire the HC with the BEST supporting coaching staff, NOT just the hottest name in the college game.

Nick Saban was the hottest name in the college game at one time. Miami hired him. How'd that work out??

I would argue that Saban is a better college HC than Kelly.

PTR, to answer your question, I would take the opposite tact. I would look to hire the best NFL experienced HC who could bring the best NFL assistants with him. After all, does a team win only because of the HC or does the supporting staff have a lot to do with it?? Much of the time, it seems to me that the OC and DC are the difference makers. Who's more likely to bring in a better NFL quality OC and DC, Kelly or an experienced NFL HC???

The candidates that I would be strongly considering for the Bills' HC position in descending order based upon my argument above include:

1. Bill Cowher - Make him an offer he can't refuse and watch how many of the current HC candidates lineup to be his OC/DC. A great motivator and a future HOF HC. He knows how to beat Belichick. He would give us the best chance to become respectable very quickly and stay there for an extended period of time.

2. Mike Holmgren - He too would put together an excellent supporting staff. Very innovative and well connected. Knows how to develop a QB. At least worthy of an interview to see how motivated/committed he is to get back into being an HC.

3. Lovie Smith - He knows how to win in a windy cold weather city. He just got fired for winning 10 reg. season games and has taken his team to the SB.

4. Jon Gruden - Another guy who has been to the SB. Very hungry. Will do what it takes for NFL wins. Knows how to develop a QB.

Hey Chan Gailey had NFL playoff experience, we should bring him back immediately.

From what I have read, it's not at all the amount of time he spends on the practice field, it's the tempo and the efficiency of how he runs his practices, which then translates to the tempo and efficiency that his team plays with on game days. Plus the NCAA has a lot of limits on practice time, too.

For example...

For all of the hype surrounding Oregon games, Oregon practices might be even better. Oregon practices are filled with blaring music and players sprinting from drill to drill. Coaches interact with players primarily through whistles, air horns, and semi-communicative grunts. Operating under the constraint of NCAA-imposed practice time limits, Kelly's sessions are designed around one thing: maximizing time. Kelly's solution is simple: The practice field is for repetitions. Traditional "coaching" — correcting mistakes, showing a player how to step one way or another, or lecturing on this or that football topic — is better served in the film room.

EDIT: In fact, doing a little research, it turns out that Kelly's practices are actually the shortest of any coach, and last two hours when college coaches use three hours. ;)

This is a great article about the practices, with a couple nice tidbits. One of which is that the practices are so fast, even the team managers have to tape their ankles. ;) And that Gruden nearly took a job with Oregon just to learn Kelly's offense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/sports/ncaafootball/02oregon.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Thats good? Geesh maybe you will like this one then...Bobby Petrino, or Dick Macherson, maybe a lil Lou Holtz??? If Im off dont shoot me but I think in the History of the NFL there has has only been 3 Super Bowl winning Teams that directly hired a College Coach..It has been done just only by one team the Dallas Cowboys...Jimmy Johnson 2 times then Barry Switzer...Same team, it doesnt happen very often which in my book makes it pretty "rare" Just Sayin..

I'm goung to flat out say it... I assume that since Lovie Smith is not being interviewed right away, they are not hiring an African American coach. They figure Horton covers their butt under the Rooney Rule is what I see. I hope I am dead wrong, but after Cottrell and Fewell and Lewis not getting a shot, it creeps into my mind and it is sad.

Horton is probably my favorite candidate so far. I like what he did with the defense in Arizona. There's just something about watching a great defense that gets me giddy thinking about what ours could be with a good coach.

The only concern I have is who he would bring in as coordinators.

Per John Murphy:

Ken Whisenhunt interviewed.

Ray Horton to interview tonight.

Chip Kelly interviews Friday.

Mike McCoy over the weekend.

Per other sources:

Doug Marrone next week.

Lovie Smith supposedly contacted the Bills.

PTR

So Russ Grimm disses us a 2nd time?

Thats good? Geesh maybe you will like this one then...Bobby Petrino, or Dick Macherson, maybe a lil Lou Holtz??? If Im off dont shoot me but I think in the History of the NFL there has has only been 3 Super Bowl winning Teams that directly hired a College Coach..It has been done just only by one team the Dallas Cowboys...Jimmy Johnson 2 times then Barry Switzer...Same team, it doesnt happen very often which in my book makes it pretty "rare" Just Sayin..

I wouldn't say it's rare, it just depends on the person. Look at how many first time coordinators fail, a lot.

I'm not for or against College coaches it's all about getting the right guy where ever that may be.

I'm goung to flat out say it... I assume that since Lovie Smith is not being interviewed right away, they are not hiring an African American coach. They figure Horton covers their butt under the Rooney Rule is what I see. I hope I am dead wrong, but after Cottrell and Fewell and Lewis not getting a shot, it creeps into my mind and it is sad.

That's what you get when bring in guys like Whaley... it just keeps perpetuating.

The thought of that is outrageous and it upsets me.

You're right. And it is ridiculous. An unfortunate byproduct of the Bills losing. People have become used to complaining about any and everything.

So Russ Grimm disses us a 2nd time?

Russ Grimm might never have been someone they were going to interview. A lot of erroneous reports are flying around

about a lot of coaches and teams.

You can't just win games with a high tempo offense. Who's going to coach the defense, some rookie college coach?? What connections does Kelly have in the NFL??

We need to hire the HC with the BEST supporting coaching staff, NOT just the hottest name in the college game.

Nick Saban was the hottest name in the college game at one time. Miami hired him. How'd that work out??

I would argue that Saban is a better college HC than Kelly.

PTR, to answer your question, I would take the opposite tact. I would look to hire the best NFL experienced HC who could bring the best NFL assistants with him. After all, does a team win only because of the HC or does the supporting staff have a lot to do with it?? Much of the time, it seems to me that the OC and DC are the difference makers. Who's more likely to bring in a better NFL quality OC and DC, Kelly or an experienced NFL HC???

The candidates that I would be strongly considering for the Bills' HC position in descending order based upon my argument above include:

1. Bill Cowher - Make him an offer he can't refuse and watch how many of the current HC candidates lineup to be his OC/DC. A great motivator and a future HOF HC. He knows how to beat Belichick. He would give us the best chance to become respectable very quickly and stay there for an extended period of time.

2. Mike Holmgren - He too would put together an excellent supporting staff. Very innovative and well connected. Knows how to develop a QB. At least worthy of an interview to see how motivated/committed he is to get back into being an HC.

3. Lovie Smith - He knows how to win in a windy cold weather city. He just got fired for winning 10 reg. season games and has taken his team to the SB.

4. Jon Gruden - Another guy who has been to the SB. Very hungry. Will do what it takes for NFL wins. Knows how to develop a QB.

Gruden and Cowher are not available as far as anyone knows. They seem to be happy on TV. But folks keep bringing them up like they can be bought off. Many have already tried. They didn't want the money. Holmgren might be good, but he's 64 years old. Not the direction the Bills seem to want to go in at this point. Lovie is my first choice. But Russ said they wanted to do things differently. Kelly would be that. Although that lack of any NFL experience could backfire like a mofo.

Edited by purple haze

Lets just hope they hire the right coach, whichever color. I highly doubt there's any bigotry going down at OBD. Say what you will about their competence, but they have always operated with class. Besides, isn't whaley of color? He's right at the top and heavily involved in choosing the next coach. I doubt they're limiting any options by race.

Edited by rafter

Kyle Shanahan needs to be in the discussion and should be at least on the BILLS' radar if he isn't already....given what he's done with that Offense based around RGIII, it should be noteworthy as to his ability to adapt, not to mention his knowledge of zone blocking schemes and experience at such a young age...coaching seems to take to him like water surrounding a fish....

He's an up and comer worth taking a serious, hard, long look at and evaluating where he might bring this team and getting his thoughts on a DC to see who he would allow him to balance his team approach....

I'm not saying he would be my vote, although being able to hear the interview might actually capture my "vote" for him....if i had one, lol

Kyle Shanahan needs to be in the discussion and should be at least on the BILLS' radar if he isn't already....given what he's done with that Offense based around RGIII, it should be noteworthy as to his ability to adapt, not to mention his knowledge of zone blocking schemes and experience at such a young age...coaching seems to take to him like water surrounding a fish....

He's an up and comer worth taking a serious, hard, long look at and evaluating where he might bring this team and getting his thoughts on a DC to see who he would allow him to balance his team approach....

I'm not saying he would be my vote, although being able to hear the interview might actually capture my "vote" for him....if i had one, lol

Why would he leave his dad and the team he will more than likely be the head coach of one day?

That's what you get when bring in guys like Whaley... it just keeps perpetuating.

Until he officially takes over as GM, I don't see anything changing for the Bills. No one really knows how much say he does have. Until I see change, it always is in the back of my mind as I said. Those who were around when Ted Cottrell left know how crazy it was he didn't get a serious shot...