Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith has shown steady improvement, and his numbers represent that progression. So he meets the threshold of "if you aren't green and growing you're ripe and rotting". Now you can make the case that Harbaugh is partially responsible for that, but bottom line, he's capable of putting up good numbers and from my perspective that counts for something. Another thing that I like about Smith is that he doesn't throw many picks and that would be a welcome addiriton to this team.

Smith has shown steady improvement, and his numbers represent that progression. So he meets the threshold of "if you aren't green and growing you're ripe and rotting". Now you can make the case that Harbaugh is partially responsible for that, but bottom line, he's capable of putting up good numbers and from my perspective that counts for something. Another thing that I like about Smith is that he doesn't throw many picks and that would be a welcome addiriton to this team.

He threw 17 tds in 16 games last year while playing with the #1 defense in the NFL. Honestly if we had Smith the last 2 years, our record probably isn't any different.

I don't fall for that analysis at all. I'm sure that Harbaugh loves Kap, simply by his actions of playing him. But I would bet anything that Harbaugh doesn't know himself if Kap will be a solid full time starter and franchise QB. Back-up QB for a team that has hopes of winning a SB is a very important roster spot. The 9ers are paying Kap absolute peanuts. If I were them, I would look at it not in terms of whether Smith was worth 7.5 mil, but rather in terms of Kap and Smith together cost us 8.5 mil or whatever, which is very, very low for the QB position. I see little reason to cut him at all, and I see them holding out for a pretty good trade.

I tend to agree. They will cut him only if (1) there is no viable trade market for him (unlikely) and (2) they decide that $7.5 is too much to pay him to back up Kapernick. As you point out, the amount the 49ers would have committed to the QB position would still be pretty modest, assuming they do not sign Kapernick to an extension. A lot may hinge on how Kapernick plays in this year's playoffs. I can see lots of teams trying to trade for Smith, either as a quality back-up or as a stop-gap starter. I'm having a hard time naming 12 current starting QB's I would rather have than him.

I rarely post here unless I am passed anything of relevancy. With that being said...

I can say with certainty that the Bills will be taking a strong look at bringing in Smith, regardless of coaching hire. The reason for the speculation is because the Bills at this point are interested in Smith and are asking potential coaches how effective he can be within the respective coach's system. Smith to Buffalo is a logical move from both sides.

As of April 1st the 49ers will be committed to $8.5 million in salary towards Smith ($7.5 salary with $1 million option that must be picked up in March). Unless CK shows "red flag" performance (which constitutes a complete and total meltdown of epic proportions in the playoffs), from what I've been told the 49ers intend to shop Smith. Harbaugh is keen on CK and believes he is the future of the franchise. SF's FO knows it can get immediate value for AS without hindering future QB growth. They are stacked as far as draft picks are concerned, which also gives them some leverage in that they could draft another QB if they trade Smith, trade Smith for more picks, or focus more on trading for missing pieces instead of picks if they so choose. They also know Smith will be an attractive QB on the market 1) from performance based on past 2 seasons, 2) comparatively low price tag for potential long term starter (he's 28), 3) weak FA / Draft pool when it comes to QB's in a year where several teams are desperate for a long term solution. Smith can start immediately and with the perception of a "weak" QB draft class, this allows a team to draft a QB in a later round, focusing on "need areas" in early rounds.

Smith's contract right now (if he were to be acquired in a trade) would be considered "lower-tier" money as far as starting QB's, and it gives the Bills FO a 2 year window to draft a QB this year and (potentially) next year as well while Smith plays out his contract. At the end of the 2014 season, the Bills can then leverage 1-2 rookies they've developed, or resign Smith when he's 30 if he proves to be a franchise QB for another 5-7 years. This is a very low-risk move compared to the current situation with Fitzpatrick or forcing them to reach in the draft, and also gives the Bills this years draft and next years to address glaring weaknesses on the defensive side of the ball, as well as WR, with early picks.

Part of Smith's appeal to Buffalo's FO is his game management and ability to limit mistakes. By comparison, the last two seasons saw Fitzpatrick in 32 games with passer ratings of 79 and 83, 48 touchdowns, 39 INT's, and 10 fumbles with completion %'s of 62 and 60. Over Smith's last 26 games (16 last year, 10 this year, playoffs not included) he has thrown for 30 touchdowns, 10 INT's, and 8 fumbles. His passer rating last year was over 90.7, and through 10 games this year was 104.1 -- at the time he was 3rd in the league behind only Aaron Rodgers and RGIII. His completion % this season was also over 70%. Smith is the first QB since 2003 to take SF to a playoff game, one in which they hung with and ultimately beat a very high powered Saints team. The Bills honestly think this guy can win them some games within their offensive structure - play to the run, manage the game from the QB position, and limit mistakes... while still drafting a QB.

I cannot say that this will 100% happen as things can change in a heartbeat, but from what I've been told.... as it stands today... the Bills are very high on Alex Smith. I would not be the least bit surprised if he ends up in Buffalo this offseason.

Any idea what they'd want for him? I floated the idea of bundling Fitz w/ a pick or 2 in a trade for Smith earlier but it didn't get much traction. The theory is that he'd give them a veteran b/u who's significantly better than what they can sign off the street, and he'd probably be willing to renegotiate his contract to stay employed. Any thoughts?

Edited by Rob's House

I rarely post here unless I am passed anything of relevancy. With that being said...

I can say with certainty that the Bills will be taking a strong look at bringing in Smith, regardless of coaching hire. The reason for the speculation is because the Bills at this point are interested in Smith and are asking potential coaches how effective he can be within the respective coach's system. Smith to Buffalo is a logical move from both sides.

As of April 1st the 49ers will be committed to $8.5 million in salary towards Smith ($7.5 salary with $1 million option that must be picked up in March). Unless CK shows "red flag" performance (which constitutes a complete and total meltdown of epic proportions in the playoffs), from what I've been told the 49ers intend to shop Smith. Harbaugh is keen on CK and believes he is the future of the franchise. SF's FO knows it can get immediate value for AS without hindering future QB growth. They are stacked as far as draft picks are concerned, which also gives them some leverage in that they could draft another QB if they trade Smith, trade Smith for more picks, or focus more on trading for missing pieces instead of picks if they so choose. They also know Smith will be an attractive QB on the market 1) from performance based on past 2 seasons, 2) comparatively low price tag for potential long term starter (he's 28), 3) weak FA / Draft pool when it comes to QB's in a year where several teams are desperate for a long term solution. Smith can start immediately and with the perception of a "weak" QB draft class, this allows a team to draft a QB in a later round, focusing on "need areas" in early rounds.

Smith's contract right now (if he were to be acquired in a trade) would be considered "lower-tier" money as far as starting QB's, and it gives the Bills FO a 2 year window to draft a QB this year and (potentially) next year as well while Smith plays out his contract. At the end of the 2014 season, the Bills can then leverage 1-2 rookies they've developed, or resign Smith when he's 30 if he proves to be a franchise QB for another 5-7 years. This is a very low-risk move compared to the current situation with Fitzpatrick or forcing them to reach in the draft, and also gives the Bills this years draft and next years to address glaring weaknesses on the defensive side of the ball, as well as WR, with early picks.

Part of Smith's appeal to Buffalo's FO is his game management and ability to limit mistakes. By comparison, the last two seasons saw Fitzpatrick in 32 games with passer ratings of 79 and 83, 48 touchdowns, 39 INT's, and 10 fumbles with completion %'s of 62 and 60. Over Smith's last 26 games (16 last year, 10 this year, playoffs not included) he has thrown for 30 touchdowns, 10 INT's, and 8 fumbles. His passer rating last year was over 90.7, and through 10 games this year was 104.1 -- at the time he was 3rd in the league behind only Aaron Rodgers and RGIII. His completion % this season was also over 70%. Smith is the first QB since 2003 to take SF to a playoff game, one in which they hung with and ultimately beat a very high powered Saints team. The Bills honestly think this guy can win them some games within their offensive structure - play to the run, manage the game from the QB position, and limit mistakes... while still drafting a QB.

I cannot say that this will 100% happen as things can change in a heartbeat, but from what I've been told.... as it stands today... the Bills are very high on Alex Smith. I would not be the least bit surprised if he ends up in Buffalo this offseason.

Excellent summary. Post more often please!

On KC, I'm thinking they'll shy away from getting someone else's vet QB after ther experience with cassell. Also they have #1 pick and can draft someone.

The QB's I named are every starter the Chiefs have had since 1990 & there is talk that the Chiefs are interested in Jarvis Jones LB Georgia or moving down out of the Top 10

I'd take Geno Smith if I where the Chiefs, I don't think they will especially since they haven't pick a QB in the 1st round since 1983 but that could change.

Edited by Shitzy Hater

The QB's I named are every starter the Chiefs have had since 1990 & there is talk that the Chiefs are interested in Jarvis Jones LB Alabama or moving down out of the Top 10

I'd take Geno Smith if I where the Chiefs, I don't think they will especially since they haven't pick a QB in the 1st round since 1983 but that could change.

Well, when you consider that pick was Todd Blackledge and he was taken BEFORE Kelly and Marino, I'd be a little gun shy about taking a QB in the first round, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Fitz maid millions and has a degree from Harvard.. he will be fine even if he loses his job.

Also he married a girl who was an All-American soccer player and also has a Harvard degree.

As for Alex Smith I would only say that IF you believe that bringing Fitz back at a lower cost would run the risk of being divisive to the team, then you have to find someone who is more or less equivalent to play a similar role: veteran insurance/mentor for young developmental QB.

Kevin Kolb went for a 2nd and an established CB. I find it hard to believe Smith, with more proven experience and performance, would warrant anything less than a 1 plus a 3. Alternatively, he could probably be had for a proven offensive line starter and a 1 or 2. Of course, it is widely believed that Arizona overpaid for Kolb but the pool of available starters being what it is, I can't imagine Smith going for any less.