Whaley comments?

abqmarko

ok ok im learning the etiquette-1st post (probably last) but i will say if we do hire the AZ D coordinator then I stand by my original post Whaley should not be making those types of statements...what people are overlooking is that article that i referred to was removed

So youre worried that Whaley telling us who he wants will interfere with hiring them. But then say "if we do hire" him, he's still wrong?

Wouldnt that mean it worked out anyways and your concerns were completely unnecessary?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ok im learning the etiquette-1st post (probably last) but i will say if we do hire the AZ D coordinator then I stand by my original post Whaley should not be making those types of statements...what people are overlooking is that article that i referred to was removed

Chops get busted around here. No worries.

As to your point, I think you're reading into it far too much. The word hopefully is pretty much a throw-away generic and could have started any multitude of statements. It doesn't have to mean "Hopefully we can hire them immediately" as you seem to be suggesting.

So youre worried that Whaley telling us who he wants will interfere with hiring them. But then say "if we do hire" him, he's still wrong?

Wouldnt that mean it worked out anyways and your concerns were completely unnecessary?

And that the league requested interview that's publicly reported would also not indicate interest. That his one comment here is what would have him scooped up from under us.

what people are overlooking is that article that i referred to was removed

did you say that? if so i missed it and i apologize. but you should always provide direct sources so that people can go look at any comments themselves and see the wider context

What do you call a lawyer at the bottom of the ocean?

abqmarko?

Wow!!!

You guys are rough!

I listened to the interview and when he said "hopefully… we'll see what happens" it jumped out at me too. The wording is awkward to say the least.

My other observation is that it sounded like Whaley was not very comfortable during the interview and wanted to get out of it ASAP.

Those things said, I don't think there's much consequence to his stumbling comment either way.

But regardless, take it easy on the new guy!

I have to say if Whaley has meade these comments “We go way back, we won Super Bowls together so I have high regard for their coaching acumen. Personally, I know those guys and hopefully…we’ll see what happens. I know they’ve got a lot of opportunities, we haven’t decided, we’ve still got to figure out what we’re going to do and after that, I don’t think it’ll make a decision on if they’re going to be our coach, but I can shed some insight on how they performed while I was with them and as people.”

These comments are posted on the WGR web site if they are legitimate and prove accurate I have some real issues with his lack of candor. I work in a legal profession and deal with statements all day long, if the Bills end up taking either of these coaches, and if so I'd anticiapte it by weeks end, I have serious issues with Whaleys professionalism.. "hopefully we will see what happens" speaks volumes. Even if he thinks they are the best candiadtes, (which I dont) he should not be tipping his hand. Would any top level executive state/tip his hand and say he was going tp buy a certain stock or company before a contaact or agreement was reached... NO. If either of these guys (Wheissy or his D coordiantor) are hired it shows what bush league Whaley is and what the Bills have to look forward to. What a person say's and doesnt say is huge...."hopefully" so expalin that to me Whaley in objective fashion...i guess your mind i made up....if the hire goes through you and Russ are bush league already tipping your hand like that...prior to an interview etc what a mess

if this is misdirection than id say AWESOME job guys, glad to see some savvy occuring at two bills drive!

What coaches?

I just hope they do as Brandon said they would do "a exhaustive search to find the right guy for the job". Don't go with the first one or 2 guys you interview look at a bunch of them unless a guy with a Bellechek resume comes along then jump on the hire.

Don't grab a guy right off the bat that has been fired because he didn't live up to the winning standard expected in the NFL that's just plain crazy, we have already been down that road.

Get a guy that has shown he can win more than just that one season like DJ did. Bring in a guy that has championships under his belt .

Bring in Marc Trestman !! For goodness sakes what does it take to just talk to the guy ? He has 2 consecutive Grey Cup Championships what more do you need to know & we can't even give the guy a call ??

Thats OK just get Wisenhunt or one of the others that were fired that will work ...

I just hope they do as Brandon said they would do "a exhaustive search to find the right guy for the job". Don't go with the first one or 2 guys you interview look at a bunch of them unless a guy with a Bellechek resume comes along then jump on the hire.

Don't grab a guy right off the bat that has been fired because he didn't live up to the winning standard expected in the NFL that's just plain crazy, we have already been down that road.

Get a guy that has shown he can win more than just that one season like DJ did. Bring in a guy that has championships under his belt .

Bring in Marc Trestman !! For goodness sakes what does it take to just talk to the guy ? He has 2 consecutive Grey Cup Championships what more do you need to know & we can't even give the guy a call ??

Thats OK just get Wisenhunt or one of the others that were fired that will work ...

Marc Trestman was fired too (in the past).

Wow!!!

You guys are rough!

I listened to the interview and when he said "hopefully… we'll see what happens" it jumped out at me too. The wording is awkward to say the least.

My other observation is that it sounded like Whaley was not very comfortable during the interview and wanted to get out of it ASAP.

Those things said, I don't think there's much consequence to his stumbling comment either way.

But regardless, take it easy on the new guy!

I agree with you SJBF that there probably isn't much consequence to this. It's probably looking for something where there's nothing, which I believe we're all guilty of doing from time to time.

I can't speak on the OP's idea that the original story was removed, but I do think its interesting that Chris Brown posted a story an hour ago with a quote attributed to Whaley with "Personally I know him and we'll see what happens. I know he's got a lot of opportunities." The word hopefully has been removed completely, which Whaley clearly said in the interview. I'll probably just chalk this up to a reporter (albeit a paid shill) cleaning up a quote of his coworker.

Do most reporters clean up quotes this way? I was under the impression that they usually write what they hear, enter in words using [brackets] for emphasis, and add sic when they need to show the spelling or grammar error is on the individual, not the reporter.

Chris Brown article: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Buffalo-Bills-interview-Ken-Whisenhunt/db1561ca-0e45-4a9e-9dc6-4804395294e8

Whaley inteview Video http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Doug-Whaley-on-Evaluating-the-Team/4cc78b07-97d9-4c11-bace-2b6db7b9c458

Edited by TheLynchTrain

I agree with you SJBF that there probably isn't much consequence to this. It's probably looking for something where there's nothing, which I believe we're all guilty of doing from time to time.

I can't speak on the OP's idea that the original story was removed, but I do think its interesting that Chris Brown posted a story an hour ago with a quote attributed to Whaley with "Personally I know him and we'll see what happens. I know he's got a lot of opportunities." The word hopefully has been removed completely, which Whaley clearly said in the interview. I'll probably just chalk this up to a reporter (albeit a paid shill) cleaning up a quote of his coworker.

Do most reporters clean up quotes this way? I was under the impression that they usually write what they hear, enter in words using [brackets] for emphasis, and add sic when they need to show the spelling or grammar error is on the individual, not the reporter.

Chris Brown article: http://www.buffalobi...c6-4804395294e8

Whaley inteview Video http://www.buffalobi...ce-2b6db7b9c458

So the OP did raise an interesting point, IMO.

That "hopefully" was a really bizarre choice of words until you realize where he was going with that sentence.

I have to say if Whaley has meade these comments “We go way back, we won Super Bowls together so I have high regard for their coaching acumen. Personally, I know those guys and hopefully…we’ll see what happens. I know they’ve got a lot of opportunities, we haven’t decided, we’ve still got to figure out what we’re going to do and after that, I don’t think it’ll make a decision on if they’re going to be our coach, but I can shed some insight on how they performed while I was with them and as people.”

These comments are posted on the WGR web site if they are legitimate and prove accurate I have some real issues with his lack of candor. I work in a legal profession and deal with statements all day long, if the Bills end up taking either of these coaches, and if so I'd anticiapte it by weeks end, I have serious issues with Whaleys professionalism.. "hopefully we will see what happens" speaks volumes. Even if he thinks they are the best candiadtes, (which I dont) he should not be tipping his hand. Would any top level executive state/tip his hand and say he was going tp buy a certain stock or company before a contaact or agreement was reached... NO. If either of these guys (Wheissy or his D coordiantor) are hired it shows what bush league Whaley is and what the Bills have to look forward to. What a person say's and doesnt say is huge...."hopefully" so expalin that to me Whaley in objective fashion...i guess your mind i made up....if the hire goes through you and Russ are bush league already tipping your hand like that...prior to an interview etc what a mess

if this is misdirection than id say AWESOME job guys, glad to see some savvy occuring at two bills drive!

Ridiculous post. You read way too much into what he said. He was just being respectful of some former colleagues. If they do hire one of them it will be after the interview process is complete. I believe they are still early in the process and however it plays out, Whaley's statements were nothing but being polite.