Ray Horton for HC

buffalo1983

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/horton-will-get-a-second-interview-with-the-cardinals/

Pft says interview with Horton scheduled tomorrow

And he holds out til he gets a trade, because that was the exact reason why he left Houston and came to Buffalo. HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY IN A 3-4

To be fair, he left cause they couldn't afford him. Never had a shot, 34 or otherwise. He chose a 43 team once gone because he seemingly prefers that though.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're all going to end up happy with the coaching hire. Russ isn't going to make some BS hire because they worked together 20 years ago, he knew his father, owes him a favor, or won't threatening his GM duties. There's to be no kitty footing around with a "safe" hire. He's going to hire the best man for the job.

did russ waterboard you with the kool-aid?

I admit that I just don't get this one. If his D was so great, why are they picking ahead of us. Ours was one of the worst in the league.

I do find it interesting that Arizona is interested in him and didn't do more within the season if this is the way they wanted to go. I'd also be surprised if they took him over Andy Reid.

This hire would be very disappointing to me. He's proven nothing and who knows what he knows about offense

I admit that I just don't get this one. If his D was so great, why are they picking ahead of us. Ours was one of the worst in the league.

I do find it interesting that Arizona is interested in him and didn't do more within the season if this is the way they wanted to go. I'd also be surprised if they took him over Andy Reid.

This hire would be very disappointing to me. He's proven nothing and who knows what he knows about offense

Cause their qb was waaaay worse than ours.

It's funny, Reid's apparent major job interview claim is that he can turn Kolb around.

I just don't understand how someone on this coaching staff can be a hot item when they are drafting so low and they pretty much cleaned house

It's funny, Reid's apparent major job interview claim is that he can turn Kolb around.

I just don't understand how someone on this coaching staff can be a hot item when they are drafting so low and they pretty much cleaned house

Because his Defense caused a lot of havoc. And he's well regarded in league circles. Also, the Cardinals only fired Whisenhunt and the offensive staff.

The Defensive staff was not relieved of duty. And Horton has a second interview with the Cardinals it's been reported. Must be impressing in interviews.

http://profootballta...dinals/related/

Edited by purple haze

The same defense that we beat?

I'm not trying to be negative with the guy and I admit that I'm saying this knowing nothing about him besides seeing the team we beat, their record, and draft status.

From the smell test, I just don't get it. I remember the days where you had to be a top 5 at your position to be considered and I feel like this is the first time I'm hearing his name for a HC job

The same defense that we beat?

I'm not trying to be negative with the guy and I admit that I'm saying this knowing nothing about him besides seeing the team we beat, their record, and draft status.

From the smell test, I just don't get it. I remember the days where you had to be a top 5 at your position to be considered and I feel like this is the first time I'm hearing his name for a HC job

A few things to consider....

- Arizona's offense lead the league in INTs

- Arizona scored the second fewest PPG

- Arizona ranked 12th overall in D

- Arizona ranked 12th in points allowed per game

- Arizona D was 2nd in 3rd down efficiency

- Arizona D ranked 4th in takeaways

I think it is fair to say that Horton's D is NOT the reason Arizona is picking ahead of us.

Here is my prediction- this will happen fast!

I live in Arizona and this guy is a rising star. He is prepared and keeps detailed notes on every team and scheme. He will come prepared to the interview and blow everyone away.

Greg Williams ???

Because they had a horrible offense. Some of the defensive stats that I picked off from NFL

Arizona

The Cardinals lead the NFL with 58 sacks in 2012. (Bills had 30 sacks, 23rd in the league)

The cardinals lead the NFL with 21 Interceptions in 2012 (Bills had 17 INTs)

The cardinals were 8th in Forced Fumbles with 17 in 2012 (Bills had 19 FF)

The cardinals were 16th in total points allowed (357) in 2012 (Bills allowed 437 points and were 25th in the league)

Both teams had horrible RUN Defenses. The Cardinals finished 28th and the Bills 31st, though the cards gave up only 4.3 yards per rush while the Bills were a generous 5 yards/rush

Overall the Cards defense was much better than the Bills.

I think it is fair to say that Horton's D is NOT the reason Arizona is picking ahead of us.

Thank you for adding some sanity to this discussion. The lack of insightful commentary on this board in general these days is appalling. I don't know whether I want Horton to be the next Bills HC, but clearly the guy was doing some very good things with the AZ defense.

Was it so long ago we are all forgetting how much a crappy offense can drag down a great defense?

Edited by eball

Ray Horton is this year's Leslie Frazier. And many of the "mensa" candidates on this board swore up and down that they wanted nothing to do with Frazier when he was mentioned as a possible coach before Chan was hired.

Good call there folks...not like he made the Vikings respectable or anything. He figured out one thing Chan couldn't. When you have a dynamic, game-changing RB, YOU GIVE HIM THE BALL.

couple that with how poorly the offense played, and its especially impressive (other team getting extra possessions, less rest between drives for example)

Horton was not fired by Arizona because his defense was the strength of the team. He successfully transitioned his unit from 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme.

He's getting a 2nd interview with AZ and could very well be their next HC.

Definitely merits consideration by the Bills. Would rather have him over Whisenhunt or Grimm.

If he isn't hired as the HC in Arizona, and it goes to Reid, like its being rumored, then i think he becomes the DC for the team the takes Whiz.

Sounds like Reid already has a staff in place for whomever takes him, don't think Horton is kept unless its part of the deal to take the job in Arizona.

I would say either Lovie/Marinelli DC or Whiz/Horton DC would be the best moves for this franchise right now to turn around the team the quickest, and both would be the safest picks. You could roll the dice on a Co-ordinator with no HC experience, or on a college coach, but theres a greater risk we are looking for a new coach in 3 years again by going that route. Although theres also a greater reward that we found the next great HC in the league too

Horton seems to be a good aggressive DC. IF Wisenhunt is able to bring Horton and his staff here with him, that makes the Wisenhunt pick substantially better but I am not sure at all that would be the case. There are a lot of different possibilities and scenarios. Horton may want to stay in AZ. The Cards may not let him out of his contract. Horton may be pissed at the Cards for not selecting him as their HC (if that happens) and want to leave, forcing their hand. Then he would be a top DC choice to any team including the Bills (I imagine part of the reason the Cards are giving him a second HC interview is to convince him they love him and want him to stay regardless).

I wouldn't be totally against a Horton hire for HC although I really want someone with HC experience. But the idea of Wisenhunt and Horton is somewhat appealing. Wisenhunt without Horton (unless he brings in a very good DC does little for me right now, although I'm not enamored with hardly any of them).