6 of the 7 Teams picking ahead of us need a QB

Virgil

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always felt this kid could play. He reminds me of Joe Flacco, but a bit more accurate. Mobility isn't great however.

I can guarantee you that he's got an NFL arm, and his deep throws are a thing of beauty.

IMO we'll likely have to move up to get him though.

16 picks on the year, 2 in the first half today. Not sure I qualify that as the accuracy Im looking for.

I'm not too dissappointed that Buffalo is where they are in the draft this year. Sure, I would have LOVED for them to be able to freely choose which QB they'd like, BUT - as far as needing a QB and finding yourself looking to draft one, I think this draft is good for us. There are somewhere between 7-10 QB's likely to come out in this draft who could be starters in the NFL. I believe, the way the NFL has changed of late, and the way college programs are preparing QB's, there will likely be 2 to 4 QB's coming out of this draft who end up being very good, and probably another 2-4 who end up just mid-tier.

One of the reasons I'm so optimistic is because for generations QB's were seen as tall, strong armed, rather immobile athletes. Now, though - for the last few years - a new type of QB is emerging. He's fast footed, strong armed, and very athletic. That mobility really creates a new dynamic for offenses, and it's allowing kids who in years past would've been deemed WR's to get shots at QB'ing.

To get back to my original point, about this draft being set up good for us - IF a bunch of teams go QB's ahead of us in round 1, that means other talent will fall, which would make our spot either enticing for trades, or might drop a guy like Teo to us. And, if QB's get snagged ahead of us, who's to say they'll be the BEST QB's? Of these QB's - Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones, Ryan Nassib, E.J. Manuel, Taj Boyd, Mike Glennon, and then there are the fringe QB's who might come out or who have ''Potential" - A.J. McCarron, Casey Pachall, and Zac Dysert - who's to say Glennon, or Tyler Bray, or Landry Jones doesn't end up better than Geno Smith, Barkley, or Tyler Wilson? I think having the 1st pick overall would be very tough, because there are clearly star quality players AT OTHER POSITIONS, and by picking QB and passing over them, a team might really end up whiffing on the 1st overall pick!

My point is, because there is so much 2nd and 3rd round talent at QB, and only a few consensus 1st round talent, the Bills are in a good position to not only get a QB OR TWO, but also to be able to get a really good star player at a position of need like LB in the first round, and still go on and get the QB's in the second or by trading back up.

I think any GM worth anything would be able to leave this draft with quality starters at QB, LB, and WR - we could draft 2 of each and they could all end up being starters. It's just that at QB in particular, there are a bunch coming out this year (and, I've followed the draft for 10 years, and I don't think there are 10 potentially quality QB's in every draft. I thought last year there were 6 or so, and the year before about 6 or 7, and the year before that about 3 or 4) and just because none are media favorites, or projected to be super stars, that doesn't have any real impact on reality.

> Now, though - for the last few years - a new type of QB is emerging. He's fast footed, strong armed, and very athletic.

J.P. Losman is fast footed, strong armed, and very athletic. But he hasn't emerged as anything, except as a first round bust. The absolute last thing the Bills should do would be to once again embrace the kind of thinking which led them to take Losman in the first place! :angry:

Nor is Losman the only example of how that kind of thinking can (and usually will) lead a team to take first round busts at QB. Over the years, there have been plenty of strong armed, highly mobile first round QB busts.

Back in the '70s, the prototypical QB was big, strong armed, and could throw a good deep ball. Think Terry Bradshaw. Joe Montana lasted until the third round, largely because he didn't have the big time arm that general managers craved. But Montana demonstrated that accuracy, touch, and the ability to hit the receiver in perfect stride can more than compensate for a lack of Bradshaw-like arm strength.

Drew Bledsoe was a lot like Bradshaw. Neither were particularly mobile, both had big arms, and both threw the long ball well. Tom Brady's arm wasn't (and isn't) as big as Bledsoe's. Nor is Brady mobile: he actually lost a foot race to Bledsoe! But he made up for all that with his high level of throwing accuracy, and with his ability to process information much more quickly than Bledsoe.

Mobility is optional, and a big time arm is optional. The three core traits you need in a QB are accuracy, fast information processing ability, and a passionate desire to win. It's much more important for the Bills' next QB to have all three of those traits than it is for them to get some strong armed dual threat QB.

well, maybe he will fall to 8th now :)

I love this site, LOL.

Btw Glennon reminds my of Flacco with some Matt Ryan qualities he stands tall in the pocket & poised...but are those the qualities of the past or future for NFL success? If he's available at 8, we're gonna have to go with a traditional play-action format like Atlanta for his success IMO.

Just threw 2nd pick of the day.

Yeah, bad decision and bad vision.

16 picks on the year, 2 in the first half today. Not sure I qualify that as the accuracy Im looking for.

Based on the two interceptions today, it seems that accuracy isn't so much the issue as much as decision making is.

Another dropped pass, this time in the end zone.

I've never seen him play before but these are my immediate impressions:

He has a nice quick drop back.

Good thing you are not an NFL scout.

His body is a bit thicker than what I had been led to believe.

He can throw the ball.

It's definitely a concern trying to reach for a QB when none of them are stand-out's like last year. You could get the next Wilson and perhaps be set for the future, or the next Leinhart & be in the same boat two or three years down the road.

My vote goes to finding a QB in free agency, drafting one in the second or third and taking the best LB or WR with the #8 pick - I personally hope for Te'o because if he ends up being the next Matthews, Mayo, Willis or Miller, & goes to another team (especially in our division) I'm really gonna be sick. :sick:

Edited by Sabesfan71

If we don't go QB in the first and they're both available I'd take Bjorne Borg over Te'o. I know LB is the greater need, but having 2 dominant DEs who can set the edge & rush the passer is hell on an offense. And I'm sure Te'o will be a good player, but his lack of speed worries me.

So Glennon does ****ty and its good and he might drop to the Bills, but Geno Smith does poorly and everyone hates him?

That's b/c Glennon > G Smith.

Care to clarify your incoherent post where you didn't differentiate your comment from mine?

If properly posting on a website is beyond your capabilities, maybe you should just lurk and try to learn from the big boys.

What do you expect from someone who's best friends with OJ? :P

Underthrown deep ball on 4th and 4

I've only watched one other NC State game all season, so I admit I don't know anything about Glennon, but he has not looked very good in this one game. He definitely has an NFL body and arm, and what little I know about footwork looks good, but he isn't making great decisions and he's had a couple bad misses. That 4th down throw was rough with the game basically on the line.

I'm not going to begin to predict who will go where. The offseason hype on QB's always makes people shoot up the boards. But, what really sucks about this draft, besides the fact that we are picking in the top 10 due to another crap season, is that almost all of the teams picking ahead of us need a QB.

I'm also not saying that this is a huge deal for round 1, but instead for any other rounds as well. If there is someone we want, we will almost certainly have to package picks to move up to get him. Just a crap situation all around

1 - Chiefs (cleaning house, Cassel not the guy)

2 - Jaguars (probably cleaning house, Gabbert assumed not to be the guy, but could be)

3 - Raiders (Palmer sporatic and Raiders always make some kind of dumb move)

4 - Eagles (cleaning house, Foles not the guy)

5 - Lions (Have Stafford, we are safe here)

6 - Browns (Weeden not sold on, but they need defensive help. Chance they pass on QB)

7 - Cardinals (Trainwreck at QB. Coach staying though)

8 - Bills (Needs QB, WR, LB)

Personally, I'm okay with them reaching for a QB early. Or, trading to get back into the first. Right now, I'm on the Nassib bandwagon. I would love to see them go best LB or WR in the first and second, then trade back into the 2nd for Nassib (unless they they think he goes higher) Nassib could honestly go late first though, who knows

I only see 3 picking ahead of us who need QBs and with Landry Jones ranked 4rth ( :wallbash::doh::lol: ) we will get the best QB in the draft and be winning superbowls!!!

That's b/c Glennon > G Smith.

I think both have some pretty big holes coming out...But I also think Smith has FAR more to work with than Glennon...From what I've seen of both, and I've watched quite a bit...I'd go with Geno all day...I'd take either over Fitz though... B-)

Bray from Tenny is coming out. Probably better than Barkley or Glennon.

That said Wilson from Arkansas would probably be a better fit. Someone who can move, good arm strength and very accurrate.

Wilson is by far the most interesting QB prospect in this Draft IMHO...The kid got the rug pulled out from under him by Petrino's sudden departure...It was a mess there and it killed his Sr season...I wonder, had Petrino stayed, if Wilson would not be considered the best of this lot right now?... B-)

Go youtube some of their games and see if you still like Bray over Glennon.

I've seen all three play. Barkley is Sanchez all over again. That being said, he's basically Fitz.

Glennon probably will be better early, but I think Bray is going to be possibly the best QB in this draft class long term. Very similar to Cutler. All the talent in the world. Question is will he take advantage of it. Plus he has a big frame he could add 20 pounds.

Glennon is like Drew Bledsoe. Stone feet, good arm.