6 of the 7 Teams picking ahead of us need a QB

Virgil

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree on safety as need.....rb2 is Freddy no ?

GW looks old and unless A Williams moves to S we only have one other S on the roster in Searcy (Byrd is techincally unsigned and Scott a LB)

PS Dont forget that in the 2nd the QB hungry Jest draft before us too. So does Tenn, who with the potential for a new HC, may be looking to move on from Jake Locker.

Edited by peterpan

1 - Chiefs (cleaning house, Cassel not the guy) <--Yes - Could take one

2 - Jaguars (probably cleaning house, Gabbert assumed not to be the guy, but could be) <-- No - Going Tebow

3 - Raiders (Palmer sporatic and Raiders always make some kind of dumb move) <-- No - Going Pryor

4 - Eagles (cleaning house, Foles not the guy) <-- No, they like Foles

5 - Lions (Have Stafford, we are safe here) <-- Agree

6 - Browns (Weeden not sold on, but they need defensive help. Chance they pass on QB) <-- Up to new coach, but leaning no.

7 - Cardinals (Trainwreck at QB. Coach staying though) <-- Yes

8 - Bills (Needs QB, WR, LB) <-- Yes

Disagree on safety as need.....rb2 is Freddy no ?

I'd love it if FJ came back and was productive. But he couldn't stay on the field this year, and when he was, he looked slow and had a serious case of the fumbles. It might be his time... but we'll see how the offseason goes, I guess.

I'd love it if FJ came back and was productive. But he couldn't stay on the field this year, and when he was, he looked slow and had a serious case of the fumbles. It might be his time... but we'll see how the offseason goes, I guess.

Do we have a short yardage back? No. I would be as happy at getting an RB in the top 3 rounds as I would a safety. Getting a first down on a 3rd and short is more important then getting any defensive player. Having an RB like Brandon Jacobs takes the hits off of FJ and gives us the ability to play FJ more sparingly when it's needed and we have to figure, based on this year, that CJ will get hurt a few games and prompt FJ to start.

Do we have a short yardage back? No. I would be as happy at getting an RB in the top 3 rounds as I would a safety. Getting a first down on a 3rd and short is more important then getting any defensive player. Having an RB like Brandon Jacobs takes the hits off of FJ and gives us the ability to play FJ more sparingly when it's needed and we have to figure, based on this year, that CJ will get hurt a few games and prompt FJ to start.

I'd say FJ is a short yardage back when he's healthy. I don't really see a "need" for a true three back rotation. Someone FJ sized or similar skillset is a perfect compliment to CJ's skillset.

I'd say FJ is a short yardage back when he's healthy. I don't really see a "need" for a true three back rotation. Someone FJ sized or similar skillset is a perfect compliment to CJ's skillset.

If we put a full workload on FJ we can keep him 1, maybe 2 years at best. If we can limit some of those big poundings here and there I think we can easily keep him 2 years.

An early mock had the jets taking nassib one slot after Buffalo in round 2...pick 42 or close to it...

I'm not going to begin to predict who will go where. The offseason hype on QB's always makes people shoot up the boards. But, what really sucks about this draft, besides the fact that we are picking in the top 10 due to another crap season, is that almost all of the teams picking ahead of us need a QB.

I'm also not saying that this is a huge deal for round 1, but instead for any other rounds as well. If there is someone we want, we will almost certainly have to package picks to move up to get him. Just a crap situation all around

1 - Chiefs (cleaning house, Cassel not the guy)

2 - Jaguars (probably cleaning house, Gabbert assumed not to be the guy, but could be)

3 - Raiders (Palmer sporatic and Raiders always make some kind of dumb move)

4 - Eagles (cleaning house, Foles not the guy)

5 - Lions (Have Stafford, we are safe here)

6 - Browns (Weeden not sold on, but they need defensive help. Chance they pass on QB)

7 - Cardinals (Trainwreck at QB. Coach staying though)

8 - Bills (Needs QB, WR, LB)

Personally, I'm okay with them reaching for a QB early. Or, trading to get back into the first. Right now, I'm on the Nassib bandwagon. I would love to see them go best LB or WR in the first and second, then trade back into the 2nd for Nassib (unless they they think he goes higher) Nassib could honestly go late first though, who knows

This years QB class doesn't have the big time prospects like the last couple of years (Stafford, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Griffin).

I think there will be movement into the top 10 from teams looking for help elsewhere and the QB needy teams will hope their guy lasts to where they trade down. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas or even the Jets make a move up for QB

In my years following the draft, one thing is certain: No one--not even the experts--accurately predicts who goes where after the fourth pick.

Curious: How many here predicted we'd go for Gilmore? I don't remember any expert draft boards predicting this guy. Just did a quick scan on the Stadium Wall, and found only about 10 mentions of his name before Draft Day and none (there may be one or two, but I didn't see any) saying he should definitely be our No. 1 pick.

More important than Palmer, Raiders' rookie Pryor just had a good game - 2TD's passing and a 3rd rushing!

I am confused - from your list I get 2 QB's taken before us - Chiefs and Cards. Tebow is the factor in Jax. Landing spots for Alex Smith and Tony Romo affect a lot too - I'd be happy with either for next year rather than reach in the first round for talent that isn't there.

Good point on Pryor.

To arrive at an estimate of 3 I just probability weighted the teams odds of taking QB. Something like chiefs .9, jags .5, raiders .2, lions .05, cards .7, browns .3, eagles .15 = 2.8

I'm not too dissappointed that Buffalo is where they are in the draft this year. Sure, I would have LOVED for them to be able to freely choose which QB they'd like, BUT - as far as needing a QB and finding yourself looking to draft one, I think this draft is good for us. There are somewhere between 7-10 QB's likely to come out in this draft who could be starters in the NFL. I believe, the way the NFL has changed of late, and the way college programs are preparing QB's, there will likely be 2 to 4 QB's coming out of this draft who end up being very good, and probably another 2-4 who end up just mid-tier.

One of the reasons I'm so optimistic is because for generations QB's were seen as tall, strong armed, rather immobile athletes. Now, though - for the last few years - a new type of QB is emerging. He's fast footed, strong armed, and very athletic. That mobility really creates a new dynamic for offenses, and it's allowing kids who in years past would've been deemed WR's to get shots at QB'ing.

To get back to my original point, about this draft being set up good for us - IF a bunch of teams go QB's ahead of us in round 1, that means other talent will fall, which would make our spot either enticing for trades, or might drop a guy like Teo to us. And, if QB's get snagged ahead of us, who's to say they'll be the BEST QB's? Of these QB's - Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones, Ryan Nassib, E.J. Manuel, Taj Boyd, Mike Glennon, and then there are the fringe QB's who might come out or who have ''Potential" - A.J. McCarron, Casey Pachall, and Zac Dysert - who's to say Glennon, or Tyler Bray, or Landry Jones doesn't end up better than Geno Smith, Barkley, or Tyler Wilson? I think having the 1st pick overall would be very tough, because there are clearly star quality players AT OTHER POSITIONS, and by picking QB and passing over them, a team might really end up whiffing on the 1st overall pick!

My point is, because there is so much 2nd and 3rd round talent at QB, and only a few consensus 1st round talent, the Bills are in a good position to not only get a QB OR TWO, but also to be able to get a really good star player at a position of need like LB in the first round, and still go on and get the QB's in the second or by trading back up.

I think any GM worth anything would be able to leave this draft with quality starters at QB, LB, and WR - we could draft 2 of each and they could all end up being starters. It's just that at QB in particular, there are a bunch coming out this year (and, I've followed the draft for 10 years, and I don't think there are 10 potentially quality QB's in every draft. I thought last year there were 6 or so, and the year before about 6 or 7, and the year before that about 3 or 4) and just because none are media favorites, or projected to be super stars, that doesn't have any real impact on reality.

Edited by KeisterHollow

Teo is not a top ten talent. Maybe if we moved back to 15 or so and picked up another pick. Hopefully he is there at 8 and someone wants to trade up for him. At 8 they can stand pat and get the second best QB. The QB's simply don't grade out that well this year and the first 7 teams as one would expect have other needs besides QB. Raiders will go DT. Eagles OL. KC will draft OL or trade back hoping they can still get Geno Smith a few slots lower. Lions wet dream is Jones. Browns will not give up on Wheeden. AZ should take a QB but I think they will so something wild like trade for Romo/Sanchez or sign Flacco. They have too much talent on D and at WR to go with an unproven rookie.

Then why do the majority of scouts rank him as top 8 talent?

My Wish is for Manti Teo Rd 1 And Ryan Nassib Rd 2... GO BILLS !!! :thumbsup::beer:

Teo would be the best pick we have made in a long time... i dont get why a MLB who plays all 3 downs, not to mention a phenominal leader, who plays with immense heart and leaves EVERYTHING he has on the field and is the QB of the D. Not 1 QB from this class is in same ballpark as Luck/ RG3. Guys like Landry Jones, Barkley, Glennon etc are NOT worth a top 10 pick.. if we could get Teo at 8, THEN trade back into late first and grab a QB, i'd be all for that.. but to reach on a QB if Teo is in on the board, would be NUTS... Our LB play this yr was a total joke.. Teo would make an instant impact and prevent alot of 2-3 yards carries from getting to 2nd level which our LB's could not do all yr.

Teo would be the best pick we have made in a long time... i dont get why a MLB who plays all 3 downs, not to mention a phenominal leader, who plays with immense heart and leaves EVERYTHING he has on the field and is the QB of the D. Not 1 QB from this class is in same ballpark as Luck/ RG3. Guys like Landry Jones, Barkley, Glennon etc are NOT worth a top 10 pick.. if we could get Teo at 8, THEN trade back into late first and grab a QB, i'd be all for that.. but to reach on a QB if Teo is in on the board, would be NUTS... Our LB play this yr was a total joke.. Teo would make an instant impact and prevent alot of 2-3 yards carries from getting to 2nd level which our LB's could not do all yr.

Definitely. Of course there's no guarantees as far as draft picks goes, but Teo is a hell of a player. He's strong (not amazing, but strong) at every part of the game and is the type of leader teams dream of. I got to watch him play in high school, and even then you could see the skill and leadership that could make him an NFL talent. That said, he's grown a lot in his time at Notre Dame. I would love to see him in a Bills uniform.

Already impressive. First three passes, short but crisp and accurate. Here's our boy. But we'll have to move way up.

I personally think, when it is said and done, Glennon will rise to #1 to KC. After that, Geno drops to whoever is willing to trade up or right into our lap. Depends on if we like him enough (moreso than other defensive players) to take him at 8. Although the top talent isnt as good as past, seems to be another deep qb batch