Schefter: Nix Leaning Safe

The Avenger

And I'm very sure about Dareus.

Dareus sits in the middle of one of the poorest Run Defenses over the past two years...He has been a HUGE disappointment...I'm not sure how anyone could come to another conclusion...He's not a difference maker...At all...He certainly has potential...He shows flashes no question...But considering he was Drafted ahead of at least 5 players who are among the best in the NFL at their positions (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Julio Jones, and Aldon Smith), I think it's safe to say Dareus has underachieved in a big, big way...That's not to say he can't turn it around if he gets back down in weight...But so far, not so good... B-)

Dareus in only 22 years old. That's the age that most rookies are.

I think he still has tremendous upside and I think you guys are early and harsh in your opinions of him.

JMO.

I think he still has tremendous upside and I think you guys are early and harsh in your opinions of him.

JMO.

Not to mention. the kid's brother was murdered this season....He was a beast last year. Lay off the kid and give him the offseason to grieve and get his head back in the game

Voicing a minority opinion, I think Galley has a chance of staying if he dumps his buddy Wanny, and gets a good D coordinator. The offense is much better than the Jauron years (how soon we forget those offenses that were 31st in the league) The D is much worse, totally mismanaged. Wanny doesn't have the modern NFL mentality, and we need a stong 4-3 coordinator. Could come down this way...at least it would not surprise me. Of course, it would not surprise me if both Nix and Gailey were fired. The meetings in Detroit this week will determine their fate, and if Chan has a plan, he might get one more crack. Just thinkin out loud. Been watching this stuff for decades, and I remember Ralph keeping Harvey Johnson. Anything is possible here.

JMO.

He is still very young, and like I said he's got great potential...If he's in great shape he has monstrous athletic ability for a DT...But excuses aside, he's been a disappointment so far...So far...

He still has plenty of time to turn it around...We'll see...I'm routing for the Kid...I really am... B-)

Not to mention. the kid's brother was murdered this season....He was a beast last year. Lay off the kid and give him the offseason to grieve and get his head back in the game

Yeah, but according to all the board-certified, armchair psychiatrists on TBD, a traumatic event like this shouldn't affect his performance...

He'll be fine. The way Chris Brown spoke of him today was telling. Basically asserted that he's by far the most talented player on the defense ahead of the likes of Mario, Byrd, etc..I don't wanna put words in his mouth, but it seemed like he was hinting the coaching was sub-par and teaching wasn't/isn't a huge part of the current staffs MO.

JMO.

+ 1

Let's not forget he's playing a new position this year.

Voicing a minority opinion, I think Galley has a chance of staying if he dumps his buddy Wanny, and gets a good D coordinator. The offense is much better than the Jauron years (how soon we forget those offenses that were 31st in the league) The D is much worse, totally mismanaged. Wanny doesn't have the modern NFL mentality, and we need a stong 4-3 coordinator. Could come down this way...at least it would not surprise me. Of course, it would not surprise me if both Nix and Gailey were fired. The meetings in Detroit this week will determine their fate, and if Chan has a plan, he might get one more crack. Just thinkin out loud. Been watching this stuff for decades, and I remember Ralph keeping Harvey Johnson. Anything is possible here.

This meme needs to die. It's like the Geno Smith thing where he opens the season on fire and noone notices when he cools off, only the opposite, because the D started with historically bad play, but has been a very solid unit down the stretch. Sadly, once the D showed up the offense laid down.

+ 1

Let's not forget he's playing a new position this year.

This meme needs to die. It's like the Geno Smith thing where he opens the season on fire and noone notices when he cools off, only the opposite, because the D started with historically bad play, but has been a very solid unit down the stretch. Sadly, once the D showed up the offense laid down.

That is an excellent point. And the O laid down because Gailey was not able to make the adjustments necessary to make up for injuries and for the changes that take place during a season. Which is why he should go.

Please define what constitutes bad drafting? CJ Spiller? Dareus? Gilmore? Glenn? Sure he missed a few. TJ Graham? Looks bad so far. Could have had Russell Wilson. But so could have every other team. I don't think he's a failure. It's more the hysteria of posters looking for any reason to stick ice picks in their ears.

PTR

DT Troup > QB Dalton

WR TJ Graham > QB Wilson

Nix Bad personnel decisions: 2010 Draft,2011 Draft.

Switching to 3-4 wasting a draft class and then switching back a year later

Hiring Chan Gailey

Also refusing to address qb position in a qb driven league. Love how Nix always claims the bills had too many needs to move to take a qb in any draft yet in 2010 he takes CJ spiller (who we all love) when rb was hardly a need at all. Nix is blatant joke. He wasn't on a single team's radar for any gm position along with Chan. Get these hicks out of town.

Edited by bruceisloose78

I may be in the minority on the board (at least of those who post), but I want the Bills to keep Buddy.

I'm fine with Buddy staying unless we were going to get someone particular (Polian) or give full control to a GM/HC. As long as Chan is gone, and the Stache, the more we stay 4-3, and try to win now, without blowing things up, while getting our QB of the future if possible (even if he is a second rounder who sits a year).

A lot of talk on this board that Nix never addressed the QB position. I agree with this for the most part. However, it needs to be mentioned that Nix did bring in Vince Young and Tavares Jackson. In both cases Chan Gailey stated they could not learn or did not have enough time to learn the Bills offensive system.

I cannot help but think that these two moves, by Gailey, and his undying faith in Fitz will be Gailey's undoing.

Gailey, and Wannstadt go, Nix stays IMO.

I may be in the minority on the board (at least of those who post), but I want the Bills to keep Buddy.

I don't want Nix fired, but he has to realize that the decision of going with Fitz and not bringing a QB to develop in Chan's system was the wrong choice. With a young QB like Kaepernick, Wilson or Cousins they would have had a fourth year to sell to the owner and fans.

A lot of talk on this board that Nix never addressed the QB position. I agree with this for the most part. However, it needs to be mentioned that Nix did bring in Vince Young and Tavares Jackson. In both cases Chan Gailey stated they could not learn or did not have enough time to learn the Bills offensive system.

I cannot help but think that these two moves, by Gailey, and his undying faith in Fitz will be Gailey's undoing.

Gailey, and Wannstadt go, Nix stays IMO.

Aaron Williams over Dalton/Kaepernick is the only pick I am unhappy with as far as QB is concerned (although thinking about Mallett wouldn't have been out of line). I have a problem with some picks, but I'm happy with Buddy as a whole, and think that having some continuity over a housecleaning is okay.

I will have to read this thread a few times. I am so bad and forth on this. I like what he has done with players but he seems to be duped by coaches. I guess at the least if he brings in annofher year of good players and leaves. A good coach can pit the piece s together

Fingers are cold nd numb. Try best to read ut

Please define what constitutes bad drafting? CJ Spiller? Dareus? Gilmore? Glenn? Sure he missed a few. TJ Graham? Looks bad so far. Could have had Russell Wilson. But so could have every other team. I don't think he's a failure. It's more the hysteria of posters looking for any reason to stick ice picks in their ears.

PTR

This, I agree with.

was this ever confirmed?

Howard Simon tweeted that a meeting took place, but that there is speculation that we are looking at Jay Gruden as well. A copy of the tweet is around in a few threads...

I think it might be telling that Brandon was there and not Nix. I also have a hunch that the Ralph was also here for another reason - to discuss the changes up front so they can act quickly. Chan is gone and I think Nix is going to be gone as well.

I know lots of people have been saying no way to Polian, but it does fit Ralph's past actions in wanting to go with people he knows. Polian loves the area, the hatchet has been buried etc...Not saying Polian would be GM, but possibly CEO...

PTR

Troup? Sheppard? Aaron Williams? Carrington? I know - you've probably already blocked them out of your mind.

Poor drafting is <50% of your 1-3 rd rounders looking like good starters. I give Carrington some credit because he's really been screwed over by the coaching staff moving him all over.

Glenn looks like Nix's first good 2nd rounder.

Dareus is OK - but he's arguably the worst of the big 5 studs available that year. Spiller is great but the need issue is painful - Lynch is leading his team to the playoffs again.

I give Nix's front office a lot of credit for their FA moves - but aren't we hearing Whaley is the guy who brought in Chandler and Urbik?

Troup? Sheppard? Aaron Williams? Carrington? I know - you've probably already blocked them out of your mind.

Poor drafting is <50% of your 1-3 rd rounders looking like good starters. I give Carrington some credit because he's really been screwed over by the coaching staff moving him all over.

Glenn looks like Nix's first good 2nd rounder.

Dareus is OK - but he's arguably the worst of the big 5 studs available that year. Spiller is great but the need issue is painful - Lynch is leading his team to the playoffs again.

I give Nix's front office a lot of credit for their FA moves - but aren't we hearing Whaley is the guy who brought in Chandler and Urbik?

Troup stinks, yes. Shep is avg. Carrington is personally responsible for like 15pts in blocked FGs this year. And blocks aside, he's actually turned into a player. Way too early to determine anything about Dareus. He was all-rookie his first season, had a rough 2nd.

PTR

It's interesting you pick the few hits Nix has made in order to ignore the rest of his picks--the majority of which have been misses. And while CJ is clearly his one true gem, the jury is still out on Gilmore and possibly even Dareus. Glenn--who knows? You can only really notice a LT when they are awful.

Also, you somehow fail to mention that every single major coaching selection by or OK'd by Buddy has a disaster. Ditto the decision to go to a 3-4 D then right back to a 4-3 in 3 years.

He has no philosophy.

LOL

I'm kind of neutral on Nix, would rather see him gone at this point, but won't go nuts if stays either.

However if you're trying to make the argument about what a good job Nix has done, its becomes hard to believe when you list Zerbie Sanders as a positive. He hasn't played even one down!

Exactly which bad personnel moves is it that you speak of ?

Brought in via draft : CJ, Dareus, Gilmore, Brooks, C. Glenn, C Hairiston, Z. Sanders. Resigned F. Jackson, K. Williams, Stevie J, B. Scott, Signed FA : K. Urbik, E. Pears, S. Chandler, Rhinehardt, M. Williams, Anderson, Merriman, K. Moore.

If he can resign Byrd, Levetrie, Mckelvin, i'd say he's doing pretty good unless you can point out a lot of other bad moves he's made.

Bad moves: T. Jackson for V. Young, Thigpen, Fitz contract, B. Smith contract, maybe Kelsay contract but good leader & depth player, A.Williams but could be salvaged if moved to safety

Buddy's biggest fault is using the Buddy system. He hired his friend who has never shown having any business being a head coach in the NFL, he let his friend hire his friend a defensive coordinator who was awful. He also let his friend decide to keep an awful QB. If Buddy is going to be the man in charge he needs to be in charge,