Potential Update on Coaching?

TheZone78

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no way they should keep Gailey, this is his record,

2010 4-12, 1-5 in Division, 425 points against.

2011 6-10, 1-5 in Division, 434 points against.

2012 5-10, 1-5 in Division, 428 points against.

OVERALL 15-32, 3-15 in Division, an average of 429 points against a year.

Not only is that beyond bad, there is ZERO improvement. If anyone had that record in any field they would be canned. You cannot expect a different outcome if you do the same thing. You can get someone from the stands to have the same record as this. Gailey's Fitzpatrick spread screen pass offense does not work and even though they drafted and got Mario the Defense still sucks.

If anything the Bills need to change coaches for a PR and ticket sales reason. Western New York has had it's fill of this guy and no one in there right mind would shell out fifty plus bucks to watch this garbage again. Time to take out the trash.

There are other ways to look at it, many of which end up in the same place. I think, though, this says all that needs said on the matter.

At the beginning of the season almost everyone thought we would have one of the top 5 defense in the NFL had that happened and the D keep most teams to under 14 points we would be talking playoffs now. I would be ok with chan for 1 more year if we get rid of Dave w.

Assuming 7 or 8 jobs will come open, all the good coaching prospects will go to the better organizations and we will be left with the Gaileys of the world... so lets just keep him, draft a damn QB (the draft fortunately does not discriminate between franchises, or we'd be completely dead) and go from there. until the ownership settles down after Ralph's demise, no top coach is coming here with other more stable situations available. so hang on to the Gailey we know, rather than the Gailey we don't know. the next Gailey may not only not game manage very well, he may not be an effective Xs and Os guy at this level. not sure its possible , but thats a bigger disaster than we have now.

No offense, but this is a pretty ridiculous statement...

There are only 32 NFL Head Coaching jobs...It's the absolute pinnacle of the Football Coaching Profession...There may be 8-10 of those 32 jobs available...Of all the great up-and-coming Coaches both in the NFL and College Football, you're trying to tell me that all The Bills can do is Chan 2.0? No way...They can do as good as anybody else, they only need to identify the right candidate and hire him...

Just because The Bills have bundled these types of moves in the past does not mean that history needs to repeat itself...I'm quite sure there are PLENTY of over-qualified HC's, and GM prospects for that matter, who would come to Buffalo gladly...Now, maybe 25% of those candidates will actually workout and turn this Team around...It's certainly not a given...But to assume there may be nothing better than Chan and Buddy out there available to this Buffalo Bills Franchise is just ridiculous...It's inaccurate and defeatist...It's loser mentality... B-)

Even with recent history, I refuse to believe that one of 32 prized jobs at the highest level of competition would ever result in having to keep an outright failure like Gailey in place. I also refuse to believe that between big name retreads, hot coordinators and successful Collegiate coaches, that we should have to settle for less than a top candidate. Yes, the Bills franchise is less attractive to people but in the mix there are types that LOVE a challenge like this.....and if they have one iota of familiarity with the community, they know they would be god-like and immediately a part of history if they were to be able to turn it all around. You can go to Philly where anything less than a SB appearance will be seen as "worse than Reid", San Diego where they're bitter that their superstar roster never went that far and you're close to a total reboot of the roster and a move north to LA, etc., bigger cities, better weather, more stores for the Wife etc. but....

There is no other community like this. It's a dream job for someone out there...that is our guy.

It's up to our FO and hopefully new GM to find that guy. I do not want a transplanted hick either, or a guy that needs a bunch of 2* Michelin restaurants and nightclubs to be seen at....give me a guy that wants it cold and nasty and Buffalo-style in December with playoffs at stake.

Time to find THAT guy.

:thumbsup:

Which then begs the question......

Why would ANY hot candidate choose Buffalo over most any destination?

That's why Caldwell is SO intriguing to me...He actually has a legit reason to WANT to come to Buffalo other than being grossly overpaid... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

At the beginning of the season almost everyone thought we would have one of the top 5 defense in the NFL had that happened and the D keep most teams to under 14 points we would be talking playoffs now. I would be ok with chan for 1 more year if we get rid of Dave w.

Lets not get crazy here. We were excited as fans but do you not see the fatal flaws in talent even in hindsight?

I read a couple boards and they do have a poster who claims to be an "insider"...after rolling my eyes, I looked into his poster history and he said the Bills back in early January of 2012 would make a run at Mario Williams...so I felt safe enough to share the post. Again, don't shoot the messenger! :rolleyes:

"It's a near certainty that Gailey is gone as soon as Monday, however from what I just heard it sounds like the Bills are open to keeping him another season. After the Rams game there was some talk in the FO that Gailey was going to be fired and those talks began to boil after the Seahawks game, in fact the Bills were calling around to possible head coachs to see if there would be an interest in coaching the Bills. Now the Bills cannot and would not call a coach directly with Gailey still coaching, but they have reached out to representatives and people close to those coachs.

What they have heard so far from those coaches has been positive, however the Bills have to wonder if these reps are telling the Bills this and are just using the Bills. If the Bills feel like there is genuine interest in a big name coach or a coach they really like coaching the Bills then Gailey is gone, but if they feel like they are being used and will come up empty handed again they wouldn't want to end up making the same kind of coaching hire just because they have to fill it. They would feel better about Gailey coaching the team for one more season then they would say Todd Haley for the next three.

All that said it does seem as though Russ believes they can get the coach they want and he wants Nix gone as well, although that will take some convincing on his part as Ralph likes Nix.

They have reached out to Gruden by the way, I did not hear that they meant with one another but they did reach out to him to see if he'd have interest."

So, ""It's a near certainty that Gailey is gone as soon as Monday"........

.........yet, "from what I just heard it sounds like the Bills are open to keeping him another season."...

.......and "If the Bills feel like there is genuine interest in a big name coach or a coach they really like coaching the Bills then Gailey is gone, but if they feel like they are being used and will come up empty handed again they wouldn't want to end up making the same kind of coaching hire just because they have to fill it."....

.....and finally, "They have reached out to Gruden by the way, I did not hear that they meant with one another but they did reach out to him to see if he'd have interest."

Jeez--this guy covered all his bases. Any one of us could have posted all of this as "insiders".

Funny Nix cancelled his radio show yesterday. Pure speculation on my part, but if nothing else Buddy is a Stand up guy, and I think he is more str8 with the fans and media than 98% of the other GM types.

So maybe he knew e was going to get all kinds of questions on Gailey/Fitz status, he knows what the answer is, and did not want to tll falsehoods on the air.

Yea, that's it!

How do you know he is more "str8" with the fans than "98%" of the GMs? And if he was, why do you think he would be dodging these questions?

That's why Caldwell is SO intriguing to me...He actually has a legit reason tom WANT to come to Buffalo other than being grossly overpaid... B-)

Wait....Jim Caldwell??? Say your joking!

I think another point made here bears mentioning: there are only 32 NFL teams in the WORLD. With that kind of scarcity, and everything that goes with coaching or performing at the highest possible level, on a global stage, there is no scenario for comparisons where three seasons of .33% winning, and HISTORICALLY BAD defenses to boot, should EVER constitute another year on the job. Coaches at this level should all be GENIUSES, they should all be masters of the various skills needed to succeed in coaching, and they should know everything about the game. To even speculate that certain coaches are incompetent and prove to be for years without being replaced is Crazy. Can anyone imagine consulting the greatest doctors, or engineers, or artists, in the world, and having them offer up absolutely marginal work?

Add to that the actuality that DESPITE the scarcity of the jobs, many of the VERY MEN I just referred to - the excellent coaches - refuse to work for the Buffalo Bills!

It blows my mind sometimes how bad this organization has been. As far as I see it, there should be new coaches in place very shortly, and an actually competent QB in place for next year. Whichever coach we bring in had better have that Genius, because I know I simply would not be interested in following another year of Bills football, and all the time spent following it throughout the year, if changes aren't made. I would assume there are many fans like me - and if I spent a whole season doing other things, who knows, maybe I don't come back as enthusiastically? It's just amazing how MUCH CRAP this fanbase has accepted, and how much crap the organization perpetually, apparently shamelessly, puts on the field. To even be speaking about WHETHER OR NOT Gailey will be back for ANOTHER year! That is the Buffalo Bills as I see them - until they prove me wrong.

Because they aren't fans of the Bills and have low self esteem. 32 HC jobs in the NFL. Bills can find better than Gailey. And even if we lived in your world where nobody would ever come coach in B-Lo, Gailey has earned his dismissal and should go.

Because they aren't fans of the Bills and have low self esteem. 32 HC jobs in the NFL. Bills can find better than Gailey. And even if we lived in your world where nobody would ever come coach in B-Lo, Gailey has earned his dismissal and should go.

YOU COULD GET ANY PERSON WHO PLAYS MADDEN13 TO PLAY CALL BETTER THAN GAILEY.

People need to read in context. Haley's name was cited as an example, not a serious consideration.

Hate the idea of Haley, but love the idea of Gruden!

Re-read the article. In the sentence on Haley its says "say Haley", meaning his name was only thrown out as an example. Geez.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I can tell you that with only 32 HCing jobs in the NFL each season it happens to be one of the most coveted jobs on this earth. Plus, you are making millions of dollars as an NFL HC.

The Bills had several candidates better then crappy, fired as KC OC, out of football entirely in 09 Chan Gailey,. Ex SB winning HC Brian Billick wanted the job. Bad Team to good team re builder Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job badly. Bill DC Perry Fewell wanted the job.

Instead hillbilly Buddy Nix hired another good ole boy that shouldn't even be a QB coach in the NFL.

I can tell you that with only 32 HCing jobs in the NFL each season it happens to be one of the most coveted jobs on this earth. Plus, you are making millions of dollars as an NFL HC.

The Bills had several candidates better then crappy, fired as KC OC, out of football entirely in 09 Chan Gailey,. Ex SB winning HC Brian Billick wanted the job. Bad Team to good team re builder Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job badly. Bill DC Perry Fewell wanted the job.

Instead hillbilly Buddy Nix hired another good ole boy that shouldn't even be a QB coach in the NFL.

i always liked the idea of billick, if for nothing else, he would show some emotion on the sidelines. watching gailey, jauron, and to an extent, mularky, all looked totally immune to expressing some passion. i am not saying that rah rah, in your face , ditka style, but for crissakes, 10 years of watching the aforementioned, i need to see some spunk.

YOU COULD GET ANY PERSON WHO PLAYS MADDEN13 TO PLAY CALL BETTER THAN GAILEY.

Or Madden 97 for SNES. Best play is playing two player on the same team. Run the halfback toss, have second player be the halfback and just run up the field. QB tosses to his right and the HB ends up with the ball 20 yards down field.

This play alone would drive defenses crazy.