Potential Update on Coaching?

TheZone78

I wonder whatever happened to nevergiveup, starting to think he gave up...

On another note, I would be more OK with Ralph Wilson keeping Nix another year rather then Gailey as I just can't forgive Chan for his choices on DC's and miss use of players.

The more I think about the more I have come to realize that Marty S must have had some major influence on who the Chargers drafted during his time there. Because now it looks like neither AJ Smith nor Buddy Nix know what they are doing. Look at the drafts after Marty was fired, they are about as bad as bad can get. Nix hasn't built very well thru the draft in Buffalo like he was supposed to, so many many misses.

Just think, Marty S had Cam Cameron as OC, Wade Phillips as DC and John Pagano as LBer coach for his assistants.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about the more I have come to realize that Marty S must have had some major influence on who the Chargers drafted during his time there. Because now it looks like neither AJ Smith nor Buddy Nix know what they are doing. Look at the drafts after Marty was fired, they are about as bad as bad can get. Nix hasn't built very well thru the draft in Buffalo like he was supposed to, so many many misses.

Just think, Marty S had Cam Cameron as OC, Wade Phillips as DC and John Pagano as LBer coach for his assistants.

Interesting observation on drafting. Nix has drafted poorly, and it shows.

I just wanted to throw a name out there that hasn't been mentioned much. Mike McCoy the OC of the Denver Broncos just might be the head coach the Bills been looking for. I googled a few clips of him and he reminds me of a mix between Mike Shanahan and Tom Coughlin. I first heard his name mentioned by Sal Paolantonio on a philly sports station as a guy who's on many team's short list.

Funny Nix cancelled his radio show yesterday. Pure speculation on my part, but if nothing else Buddy is a Stand up guy, and I think he is more str8 with the fans and media than 98% of the other GM types.

So maybe he knew e was going to get all kinds of questions on Gailey/Fitz status, he knows what the answer is, and did not want to tll falsehoods on the air.

Yea, that's it!

I just wanted to throw a name out there that hasn't been mentioned much. Mike McCoy the OC of the Denver Broncos just might be the head coach the Bills been looking for. I googled a few clips of him and he reminds me of a mix between Mike Shanahan and Tom Coughlin. I first heard his name mentioned by Sal Paolantonio on a philly sports station as a guy who's on many team's short list.

Assuming 7 or 8 jobs will come open, all the good coaching prospects will go to the better organizations and we will be left with the Gaileys of the world... so lets just keep him, draft a damn QB (the draft fortunately does not discriminate between franchises, or we'd be completely dead) and go from there. until the ownership settles down after Ralph's demise, no top coach is coming here with other more stable situations available. so hang on to the Gailey we know, rather than the Gailey we don't know. the next Gailey may not only not game manage very well, he may not be an effective Xs and Os guy at this level. not sure its possible , but thats a bigger disaster than we have now.

Assuming 7 or 8 jobs will come open, all the good coaching prospects will go to the better organizations and we will be left with the Gaileys of the world... so lets just keep him, draft a damn QB (the draft fortunately does not discriminate between franchises, or we'd be completely dead) and go from there. until the ownership settles down after Ralph's demise, no top coach is coming here with other more stable situations available. so hang on to the Gailey we know, rather than the Gailey we don't know. the next Gailey may not only not game manage very well, he may not be an effective Xs and Os guy at this level. not sure its possible , but thats a bigger disaster than we have now.

I personally don't care what name you put in the list. Why on earth would you want to stay with a guy that's struggled to win 33% of his games as HC with this team ? Edited by mrags

There is absolutely no way they should keep Gailey, this is his record,

2010 4-12, 1-5 in Division, 425 points against.

2011 6-10, 1-5 in Division, 434 points against.

2012 5-10, 1-5 in Division, 428 points against.

OVERALL 15-32, 3-15 in Division, an average of 429 points against a year.

Not only is that beyond bad, there is ZERO improvement. If anyone had that record in any field they would be canned. You cannot expect a different outcome if you do the same thing. You can get someone from the stands to have the same record as this. Gailey's Fitzpatrick spread screen pass offense does not work and even though they drafted and got Mario the Defense still sucks.

If anything the Bills need to change coaches for a PR and ticket sales reason. Western New York has had it's fill of this guy and no one in there right mind would shell out fifty plus bucks to watch this garbage again. Time to take out the trash.

Edited by bisonbrigade

There is absolutely no way they should keep Gailey, this is his record,

2010 4-12, 1-5 in Division, 425 points against.

2011 6-10, 1-5 in Division, 434 points against.

2012 5-10, 1-5 in Division, 428 points against.

OVERALL 15-32, 3-15 in Division, an average of 429 points against a year.

Not only is that beyond bad, there is ZERO improvement. If anyone had that record in any field they would be canned. You cannot expect a different outcome if you do the same thing. You can get someone from the stands to have the same record as this. Gailey's Fitzpatrick spread screen pass offense does not work and even though they drafted and got Mario the Defense still sucks.

This---^

Well done putting the numbers together.

Seems logical. No reason to be in a hurry to fire Chan if on one else better would willing to take in the job..

No one else better? Christ I could do better. Get rid of this clown.

I'll take my chances with anyone new, thank you very much. Gailey is a horrendous HC. I don't care if it is just as bad or worse as long as it is not Gailey. Can't watch his team bumble and stumble their way through games any longer.

Yes, the defensive side of the ball is worse than the Jauron years for sure, but the Offensive side of the ball is much better than the Jauron years. They were virtually dead last in offense under Jauron. So, the big failing as HC has been the 3x4 4x3 mess. And, coaching is as big a part as lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. But, the changes themselves , interms of playuer unfamiliarity with scheme, create performance problems. So, changing schemes two of three years was reallly poor planing. Actually a good decision to go back to 4x3, I think, and should benefit from two years in a row next year. OF course, that is assuming we don't bring in a high flyer who wants to go back to 3x4...don't think I could stand that move again.

Brandon is a classic non football guy running an organization. He doesn't like the record and its impact on selling tickets, so he wants a change. But, his abilities to judge football matters is almost zero in terms of personnel. So, I hope Ralph is making these assessment on the football side and substantial discounting of Brandon's input. Then again, Ralph picked Harvey Johnson, back in the bad old days, so maybe we shouldn't counton that either. (the bad old days were 2-14, these are the new bad old days, not that low yet)

On another note, I would be more OK with Ralph Wilson keeping Nix another year rather then Gailey as I just can't forgive Chan for his choices on DC's and miss use of players.

Nix is the highest guy on the football side of the house and hired Gailey, permitted the hiring of Wannstedt, has drafted poorly, and not been good in UFA aside from Williams. To allow a guy like that back, who, as Don Banks pointed out, is desperate for a QB is not a good strategy.

They need an infusion of new management, but all it seems the Bills is re-arrange the deck chairs. The last 3 GM's demonstrate that.

Funny Nix cancelled his radio show yesterday. Pure speculation on my part, but if nothing else Buddy is a Stand up guy, and I think he is more str8 with the fans and media than 98% of the other GM types.

So maybe he knew e was going to get all kinds of questions on Gailey/Fitz status, he knows what the answer is, and did not want to tll falsehoods on the air.

Yea, that's it!

Per Schopp yesterday, Nix was re-scheduled for Wednesday. Presumably this was to allow time for the after-season review, but it's anyone's guess at this point. Even Don Banks admitted no one in league circles knows just what RW thinks.

Nix will never learn to shut his mouth and project more subterfuge than talk about what he's going to do. Had he taken a QB in 2011 when the options were good (yeah that's hindsight) he wouldn't be in the precarious position of needing one for 2013. No one ever said Nix has to tell the whole truth about his intentions, even in the wake of another disaster of a season.

Edited by BillsVet

Even with recent history, I refuse to believe that one of 32 prized jobs at the highest level of competition would ever result in having to keep an outright failure like Gailey in place. I also refuse to believe that between big name retreads, hot coordinators and successful Collegiate coaches, that we should have to settle for less than a top candidate. Yes, the Bills franchise is less attractive to people but in the mix there are types that LOVE a challenge like this.....and if they have one iota of familiarity with the community, they know they would be god-like and immediately a part of history if they were to be able to turn it all around. You can go to Philly where anything less than a SB appearance will be seen as "worse than Reid", San Diego where they're bitter that their superstar roster never went that far and you're close to a total reboot of the roster and a move north to LA, etc., bigger cities, better weather, more stores for the Wife etc. but....

There is no other community like this. It's a dream job for someone out there...that is our guy.

It's up to our FO and hopefully new GM to find that guy. I do not want a transplanted hick either, or a guy that needs a bunch of 2* Michelin restaurants and nightclubs to be seen at....give me a guy that wants it cold and nasty and Buffalo-style in December with playoffs at stake.

Time to find THAT guy.