Potential Update on Coaching?

TheZone78

Today, Jon Gruden is a very respected name, known for taking two different teams to the Super Bowl. But turn the clock back a few years, and the Jon Gruden of back then was just a hot shot offensive coordinator vying for his first head coaching gig. There were problems with the Raiders organization. They had an elderly owner known for meddling. The team had been in a rut for a very long time. Their glory years were a thing of the distant past, and they were well on their way to getting a reputation for being a poorly run, dysfunctional organization.

But the Raiders landed Gruden anyway. Gruden was young, ambitious, and supremely confident in his own ability to turn a team around. He just wanted someone--anyone--to give him a chance as a head coach, so that he could show what he could do.

Maybe the Bills will succeed in landing Gruden personally. (Assuming they're wooing him in the first place.) But if not, why not find someone who fits into the Gruden mold? Young, ambitious, never been a head coach before, highly intelligent, very confident in his own ability.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the Bills will succeed in landing Gruden personally. (Assuming they're wooing him in the first place.) But if not, why not find someone who fits into the Gruden mold? Young, ambitious, never been a head coach before, highly intelligent, very confident in his own ability.

Like Mike Mularkey? Or do we not think he was ambitious and confident? He was defintely a bright hot-shot OC.

Gregg Williams was young, confident and ambitious. He was not all that bright and full of ****, but he was confident.

Edited by BobChalmers

Like Mike Mularkey? Or do we not think he was ambitious and confident? He was defintely a bright hot-shot OC.

Gregg Williams was young, confident and ambitious. He was not all that bright and full of ****, but he was confident.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't Mularky quit after his kids were getting harassed at school? I would have my kids in a very expensive private school where that kind of crap should not happen.

You obviously want a coordinator who has a significantly better grasp of Xs and Os than most other coordinators around the league. You want a guy who's significantly smarter than most other coordinators. My sense is that TD may have significantly overestimated both the Xs and Os ability, and the intelligence, of Gregg and Mularkey.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't Mularky quit after his kids were getting harassed at school? I would have my kids in a very expensive private school where that kind of crap should not happen.

Wades son (Wes) went to and graduated high school with me (Williamsville North). So apparently not all coaches would do that.

I would if my kids were getting harassed, wouldn't you?

sure I would. I'm just saying, Wade Didnt. Doesn't say that many or most do that. Just saying others that have been here haven't.

I heard Wes was seen with Russ B having dinner at Chef's....

sorry couldn't resist

yeah, I'm sure Jones would live to get rid of him with his dad. But the fact is he is a nobody so why bother to pay his salary when he's not there.

He will be another Phillips living off daddy.

My bad. I'd forgotten that the Raiders lost to the Ravens of 2000 in the AFC Championship game back when Gruden was still the Raiders' head coach.

No problem. But hey for full disclosure on the pompous ham known as Gruden. The team he won a super bowl with was built by Gungy. He gutted it after, and rightfully earned the nickname in both the media and some NFL circles as "the quarterback killer"

Of course many credit him for Rich Gannon's late bloom .

Interesting. Which two teams has Chucky taken to the super bowl as a head coach?

My bad. I'd forgotten that the Raiders lost to the Ravens of 2000 in the AFC Championship game back when Gruden was still the Raiders' head coach.

Technically, both the Bucs and Raiders when they played each other in the Super Bowl. According to Gruden after the game, he noticed they were still using the same playbook he had when he was coaching the Raiders.

No problem. But hey for full disclosure on the pompous ham known as Gruden. The team he won a super bowl with was built by Gungy. He gutted it after, and rightfully earned the nickname in both the media and some NFL circles as "the quarterback killer"

I think that makes him a good coach. He won the ring with the same guys Dungy couldn't win with. As far as gutting the team, if I remember right they had big time cap issues that forced a lot of cuts.

I think that makes him a good coach. He won the ring with the same guys Dungy couldn't win with. As far as gutting the team, if I remember right they had big time cap issues that forced a lot of cuts.

The team he beat in the super bowl, was the team he couldn't get there with.In the years he coached them. I disagree.

Although playing the Raiders running basically his offense certainly has been commented on over the years, as being the reason he won. Gruden would not fit well in Buffalo. His head wouldn't even fit inside the Ralph.

FWIW, Jim Harbaugh was the QB coach for Gruden/Gannon for those two years.

Technically, both the Bucs and Raiders when they played each other in the Super Bowl. According to Gruden after the game, he noticed they were still using the same playbook he had when he was coaching the Raiders.

I've been a major critic of Gruden but in fairness, has a team been as badly jobbed as his team was when the officials invoked the "Tuck Rule" when the Raiders were beating New England in the 4th quarter of that snowy game in Foxboro?

So I gotta give props to Gruden for taking teams far into the playoffs.