Kelly to front office?

BuffaloPride

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Bills can't continue to live in the past and that this move will be criticized as trying to spray febreze on this turd of a franchise, but I would support this move.

:lol:... :worthy:

I think this may explain the Thurman tweet. I can't say I'm Ecstatic but I'm happy about this move. Getting Kelly into the front office can only help if/when he has an ownership group ready to buy. Let's hope we can pinpoint this move as THE move that got the Bills turned around!

exactly, although I don't really see how Kelly can help sell Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey to fans who already know they are both losers. That is, if RW stays with the status quo.

Lets hope that this move is being made to ensure that the Bills are kept in WNY, if so then RW will be beloved forever in the fans eyes.

This owner just keeps making the wrong choices over and over. Marv Levy as GM? Buddy Nix as GM? Tom Donahoe as President after he lost a power struggle in Pittsburgh with Bill Cowher? I just don't get why this owner keeps picking people not already excelling in their jobs and then promoting them to jobs they have never done. Isn't this the exact opposite of what a great corporation would do to improve their top tier management?

Find someone who excels at their job as GM and then promote them to president would seem to me to be the correct solution. Thomas Dimitroff anyone?

Talked to a guy who works for the Bills today. Told me Jim Kelly will be getting a prominent front office position after the season finale. He believes they are laying the groundwork for a transfer of ownership. Asked about the rumors regarding Jon Gruden . He said he hasn't heard anything .

I hope so, Jim love this team and this town and won't move them and hopefully will do what ever it takes to get this team winning. Hopefully he doesn't become to loyal to coaches and such like Pegula did and is more cut throat like Bellicheat.

Desperation........

Kelly's the same guy who thought Tebow was a franchise QB. Elway, in comparison, wasn't a believer even when the Tebow-led Broncos went to the playoffs and won a playoff game. Elway could've stayed the course, but he knew better.

Exactly, case closed. Kelly sticks around WNY because he has nothing else. His post career ventures have been a series of failures.

I haven't a clear explanation of what, exactly, Jimbo would be doing and why it would be such a good idea for him to be "in the front office", other than as some sort of "ambassador".

Does it "keep the Bills in NY"? No, they just signed an lease with an onerous buyout.

Does anyone envision Jimbo selecting any significant staffers? GM? HC?

Does anyone see Jimbo handling any kind of FA selection/recruiting? How about the draft--really? He's going to be in the war room as what, a greeter?

As I said, he's a great guy and face for the organization, but why do the Bills always have to make half-assed moves like this?

lets keep in mind...Jim Kelly doesn't need to have all the answers, he simply needs to be smart enough to align himself with those that can help him get the answers, and there is no questioning his football acumen...side that with someone with the business acumen and you could have a great combination...no one is expecting JK to be the savior but he is a figurehead that can attract people and talent...hopefully....

Football acumen? Jim Kelly wanted to draft tebow. How would that have worked?

The only team in Buffalo that Kelly should be given a front office higher up position of is the Jills. Just because he had a great career playing the game, it doesn't mean he is qualified to coach or evaluate talent as a GM. Some guys have the ability to do this, some don't. Do you think that Pittsburgh fans should have been screaming for Terry Bradshaw to become the Head Coach or GM of the Steelers?

Jim Kelly is the kind of guy that is already in the best position with the team that he is suited for, being a glorified cheerleader on the sidelines, promoting the team and being an ambassador to get players interested in coming here. He has never shown that he has the knowledge or ability to be a good coach, or GM. He was always looked at as being more of the "typical Jock" type player that had the ability to succeed due to his athletic ability and not his brain. Elway always seemed to be the smarter QB, similar to say Manning who I think would probably have a decent career in coaching afterwards.

People bring up Kellys motivation and desire to win, yet this "desire to win" that he has wasn't enough for him to just once think that maybe he needs to prepar for the Super Bowl game the next day instead of being out partying all night?

Desperation........

Exactly, case closed. Kelly sticks around WNY because he has nothing else. His post career ventures have been a series of failures.

Yea that whole Hunters Hope thing that he and his wife have dedicated their lives to hasn't really worked out that well for the entire United States.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe they will bring Jim in because he knows people, and has a good rep around the league. Maybe it will have nothing to do with the College ranks but more on the pro personelle level.

Jim being who he is and knowing who he does could bring a good represnetation of Buffalo Bills football. Through the Hunters Hope foundation Jim has created a lot of ties in this business. He would be able to bring people in and surround himself with good football people, because he is Jim Kelly.

Football acumen? Jim Kelly wanted to draft tebow. How would that have worked?

Nobody knows how it would have worked. But I would guess he would have had as many or more wins for us than Fitz and would have been a lot more fun to watch. But there is no way of actually knowing what would have happened although I'm sure you will say that you know.

Yea that whole Hunters Hope thing that he and his wife have dedicated their lives to hasn't really worked out that well for the entire United States.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe they will bring Jim in because he knows people, and has a good rep around the league. Maybe it will have nothing to do with the College ranks but more on the pro personelle level.

Jim being who he is and knowing who he does could bring a good represnetation of Buffalo Bills football. Through the Hunters Hope foundation Jim has created a lot of ties in this business. He would be able to bring people in and surround himself with good football people, because he is Jim Kelly.

Starting and Promoting a charity is a completly different job then running a football team.

Starting and Promoting a charity is a completly different job then running a football team.

I responded to the quote of Jim Kellys off the field life has ben failure after failure. Either does owning a bar but people want to point that he failed at that.

Also i never indicated that Kelly would have success due to his charity. I made the connection that Jim has made good with a lot of people in the football world, and that can only be a positive for the Bills.

Why is everyone so down on Brandon all the time? He's not making any football related decisions -- his job is to market the franchise so it can make as much money as possible. Nothing he does or says impacts the product on the field.

I suppose the only negative thing I could say about him is that he's so good at what he does, we all keep buying the tickets and merchandise despite having a schitty product thrown in our faces. But he's not responsible for that product.

Why is everyone so down on Brandon all the time? He's not making any football related decisions -- his job is to market the franchise so it can make as much money as possible. Nothing he does or says impacts the product on the field.

I suppose the only negative thing I could say about him is that he's so good at what he does, we all keep buying the tickets and merchandise despite having a schitty product thrown in our faces. But he's not responsible for that product.

You do know that Brandon is the CEO, and not the head of Marketing, correct?

I guess I don't get what Kelly brings to the table. Might be more to him than what I've seen, but on the surface this seems another PR stunt reach knowing the big offseason splashy signing is likely out of the budget untill Mario's deal is done.

Jimbo is a fierce competitor and great cheerleader, but re adding his face to the current franchise only inpires visions of a glorious past not a promising future.

I might be wrong, in fact I'd love to be.

I guess I don't get what Kelly brings to the table. Might be more to him than what I've seen, but on the surface this seems another PR stunt reach knowing the big offseason splashy signing is likely out of the budget untill Mario's deal is done.

Jimbo is a fierce competitor and great cheerleader, but re adding his face to the current franchise only inpires visions of a glorious past not a promising future.

I might be wrong, in fact I'd love to be.

He brings to the table the ability to sell tickets. Bills fans love him, and rightly so. You nailed it when you said "cheerleader".

For example, if Gailey is to return next season and someone has to announce that. Would Bills fans be more or less likely to revolt if Kelly makes the case to keep him.

Edited by CodeMonkey