Letting Rex go would be a big JET mistake, if they do let him go....?

Estro

Look I know Rex rubs a lot of people the wrong way, and I get it. He might be a bit over the top, cocky, in your face, but there is no denying his win/loss % as a head coach, which is 34-28. Throw out this year (losing Revis and Holmes, the total regression of Sanchez) and he was 28-20. More importantly he won 4 playoff games. This is a winng brand folks, one that should and would be welcomes with open arms in Buffalo.

The problem with the Jets, IMHO, has been their front office, they loaded up on aging veterans after they made their push a few years back....it didn't pan out and frankly they have very little talent on the roster as of now. With as weak as they were talent wise this year, they were still playing a meaningful game tonight and they kicked the snot out of the Bills in week 1 (and will probably do the same in week 17, if I had to guess).

I also think the physical brand of football Rex's team bring to the table would be a perfect match in Buffalo.

With all that said there are two gigantic drawbacks to Rex:

1- He runs the 3-4 D, so the Bills would once again have to switch D's which would be viewed, short term, as another step back. Something Nix probably wouldn't want to do (I'm assuming Nix is still running the show come January).

2- His offenses struggle. Part of me wonders what a Rex Ryan as head coach, and Chan Gailey as OC Buffalo Bills would look like. I think it'd be an interesting mix, certainly better than the one we have now, but highly unlikely given most head coaches don't take demotions, they're usuually just let go. Also after this last month of watching the Bills, I'm not very high on keeping Chan in any capacity, although I think I could warm up to the idea of him as an OC only, eventually (not going to happen, just wondering aloud)

What do you think? What would your thoughts be if Rex got the chop in NY and rumors started that the Bills were interested.

Given the stretch of Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Juaron and Chan Gailey.....I think it'd be a good move.

Rex might not necessarily run a 3-4 here. I think with our up front talent and our weak secondary I could see him doing packages as a base and like his pappy, a 44 defense.

DE: Williams/Merriman. Anderson/Kelsey

DT: Williams/Carrington. Dareus/Johnson

WLB: Barnett

MLB: Shepherd

SLB: Moats

44- Scott/Merriman?/Searcy/Williams

FS. Byrd

CB. Gilmore and ?

Edited by jboyst62

My god no...Really? Ryan has destroyed that team and made them progressively worse every year as a coach. He seems to have no ability to control the locker room, or even his own emotions.

I'm actually shocked at the positive opinion of Rex being expressed. At best I see Rex as a Wade Phillips type of coach, decent defensive scheme but very poor when it comes to HC decisions, locker room control, ect... (obviously their demeanor's are complete opposites though).

The Bills need to get better, not go from one laughing stock to another...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I would rather have Norv Turner as the OC rather than Chan Gailey. At least Norv will attempt to run the ball with Spiller and reduce the mistakes from his QB. (As a HC he sucked).

Norv as OC. Rex Ryan as DC but not if that means a switch back to the 3-4. I would support both. But still torn regarding HC. I don't want a re-tread and would like a fresh face who would re-energize the franchise. Someone in the John Harbaugh mold.

Rex is a bad leader. All that talk and loose lips breeds the same arrogance in players who buy in that they're good without proving it. Can never with with that act.

I'm sure you're right. With Rex here and us making the playoffs we wouldn't know how to act.

Edited by beerme1

You should watch last nights game, the game against the cardinals and the Thanksgiving game and tell me Rex is a good coach

Um, I think that has more to do with the lack of talent on that team than Rex as a coach. He has a pretty impressive resume in terms of what he did in Balt and what he has done in NY. Lets not forget his QB has been Sanchez from a rookie and he took them to two straight AFC title games. The problem is very very simple...NY's D lost some key players and is not as dominant as it once was, especially losing Revis this year. During that same time, they also lost a very effective LaDanian who was also a safety net for Sanchez in the passing game. They have lost key WR's to either injury or just no longer part of the team.

In other words, the offense and defense has lost good players and Sanchez never developed to anything more than he had already been. Without the dominant D and run game, too much of that team now relies on Sanchez who just has not been able to handle that.

So for me, it isn't so much Rex as it is the front office just not doing a good enough job of replacing the talent lost. Lets not forget, they really loaded up with aging Vets to make a run in those early years...the problem with that is that it creates a very small window and an infusion of young talent is needed very quickly to make up for the guys who are about to end their career. Like many teams, not enough of the draft picks by that front office have worked out, and now this team lacks the talent to over come the shortcomings of Sanchez.

You give that team a real QB and it is looking a LOT different for them. Hell, they almost made the playoffs despite Sanchez having a terrible year (outside of when he plays us).

Edited by Alphadawg7