J.J. Watt/terrific player and better person

JohnC

I have a feeling there are a whole bunch of women in Houston that had their hearts melted by that...dude is gonna be in pretty high demand, not like he probably isn't already...

It is Houston, not LA...

Well... thats just cute

Great stuff, both stores. Fighting back tears sitting at my desk. I love that he is in their life, not just for a hospital visit, but an actual friend. Very neat, I'm a fan for life

On another note, put down that cell phone, make up, hoagie, whatever and keep you eyes on the road. Don't make an orphan out of anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great stories, especially the first one. Thanks for posting. Watt is about as likable as a football player gets, on and off the field.

Thing is that there are a lot of football players that do this. But Titus Young stories make for better ratings.

Nice kid. Great story.

P.S. Cue someone to post we should have drafted Watt #3 with his 11.5 career college sacks.

Yeah, no one could have predicted he would be a good player. A complete unknown at the time with only 11.5 sacks (7 in his senior year).

Good point.

Awesome dude. I love how JJ Watt seems to really enjoy that people appreciate his work.

Another awesome dude is Matt Kemp, if anyone has seen the Youtube video of him giving his shoes, jersey, and hat to a young fan in San Francisco.

Awesome dude. I love how JJ Watt seems to really enjoy that people appreciate his work.

Another awesome dude is Matt Kemp, if anyone has seen the Youtube video of him giving his shoes, jersey, and hat to a young fan in San Francisco.

Kemp is an Oklahoma City native -- tweeted last night that he is donating $1000 for every home run he hits between now and the all-star break for tornado recovery efforts. This was after he hit one last night for the first $1K.

There are so many good people in sports...someone else posted its more hits, views, reads to focus on the bad -- but every once in while its nice to focus on the acts of kindness of great people involved in the games we love.

Thing is that there are a lot of football players that do this. But Titus Young stories make for better ratings.

There are many, many outstanding people who play professional sports.

Many of them perform significant random acts of kindness in total anonymity.

Kudos to them all.

As SJBF points out, most pro sports guys give of their time and money quietly--and that's fine and more appropriate. I remember someone posted a thread here about what a "great guy" Ocho Cinco was for inviting a stranger to his wedding. Some of us called him out on this blatant publicity stunt and other self serving and/or completely bogus "charitable acts" he committed. Weeks later we learned he was the scumbag some of us assumed he was.

Criminal acts by public figures have always been news. Why blame the press for breaking stories? Should they not report them? On this very thread, there are multiple links to media coverage of several acts of charity and kindness by a single player. Why claim the press isn't interested in these things? There is a story like this on ESPN every night. All of the other acts by other players are done without the press notification, so what is the criticism here?