Nick Saban may want back in NFL

He's one of those guys that's just a great college coach. That is what he does. He wins college championships.

Despite that, millions of dollars and being adored by an entire state, he'll still desire to go off and fail in the NFL.

I don't understand it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's one of those guys that's just a great college coach. That is what he does. He wins college championships.

Despite that, millions of dollars and being adored by an entire state, he'll still desire to go off and fail in the NFL.

I don't understand it.

his wife was saying "its lost the thrill of victory"

essentially hes worn out with every week being a must win and anything short of essentially going undefeated is failure. he doesnt even get to enjoy the wins because the price of any given loss is just so huge. theres no chance for him to be the underdog, theres no rallying the troops, its just win every game or fail.

Edited by NoSaint

Seriously, do any of you so called know it all Bills fan ever want to win? It has been so long since we had a real head coach, that you all have no idea what a real coach is..Nick Saban is the BEST college football coach in the country right now. He has dominated in the SEC for almost a decade. Do any of you watch the SEC on a regular basis? Well living here in the Deep South we get to watch every SEC game, every week. The guy knows his football. He RUNS the ENTIRE SHOW!! His teams are prepared EVERY SINGLE WEEK!! Not like our coach who does not even know who his defensive players are. If we can get Nick Saban to come to Buffalo, lets make him the HC and GM. And Doug Whaley can help him out with errands. And if Saban won't come, than go hard after Jim Tressel (even if his sweater vests make me want to puke) This team needs an IDENTITY..With Gailey we are looked upon as a second rate organization of bumbling fools. He has won one big game in three seasons. That is pathetic. With Saban running the show, we might even have a fighting chance..The guy HATES losing as much as Belichik does. You have to love that!!

I see alot of you are saying No, Well I guess your right, lets just stick with Chan I mean how worse can it get

LOL - this is ridiculous. He's had one losing season in all his coaching years. Who would say no to him and keep Chan?

He took a 4-12 Dolphins team and made them 9-7 the next season. He then had a bad year, his only losing season, and I was so glad he left the Dolphins because I think he would have turned them around big time.

Oh. Okay.

I didn't realize that by saying no to Saban that I was voting to retain Gailey.

Thanks for the clarification.

LOL - this is ridiculous. He's had one losing season in all his coaching years. Who would say no to him and keep Chan?

He took a 4-12 Dolphins team and made them 9-7 the next season. He then had a bad year, his only losing season, and I was so glad he left the Dolphins because I think he would have turned them around big time.

Its Called Sarcasm

First, the chances of Saban coming back in the NFL is slightly better than me winning the Lotto.

Is it possible? Yes, but I would not bet on it.

Second, if he did, would I want him as a HC of the Bills.

NO. He is what he is, a college HC. He failed in Miami for numerous reasons.

Saban is a big time micro manager. That kind of behavior did not go over well in Miami.

IIRC, he also did not like having to deal with / account for some of the specifics of players contracts.

Especially anything dealing with playing time, player performance bonuses, etc ...

Third, Saban being blackballed by the NFL owners: is this a fantasy or a desire?

his wife was saying "its lost the thrill of victory"

essentially hes worn out with every week being a must win and anything short of essentially going undefeated is failure. he doesnt even get to enjoy the wins because the price of any given loss is just so huge. theres no chance for him to be the underdog, theres no rallying the troops, its just win every game or fail.

Not quite right.

Here's the actual full length interview with Terry Saban: http://www.973thezone.com/Player/101765001/

Start listening right before the 6 min mark. Notice she's NOT talking about Nick specifically. She does talk about Nick specifically starting at around the 7:45 mark.

Nick Saban is NOT driven by the results. Nick is driven by the process that ends in a result.

As for Saban leaving Bama? I would be surprised if he did. Even Terry believes that Bama is Nick's last stop before retirement (at around the 13 min mark)

Why would he leave? Have any of you been to Alabama? Would any of you want to live there? The radio shows make up stuff all the time but at least one mentioned the wife wants out of the deep south.

Unhappy wife would be a plausible reason to leave.

Long hours/days on the recruitment road vs long days at the office but still coming home at night.

So yes I could see him leaving for the NFL. The only way he comes to Buffalo is if he is coach and GM. That won't happen with RW.

Would he have success in the NFL? I'm inclined to think not. Belichick is the only guy to coach successfully the Belichick way. All his disciples have failed. He did it with Brady and videotape. Saban can't outrecruit anybody in the NFL like he can at Alabama. Maybe a FA or two might be swayed but that is unlikely.

In the end would I take Saban over Gailey or some other retread HC - sure. But I would rather take Whaley and Gruden's kid.

I saw on Mike and Mike this morning that Nick Saban is possibly looking to try coaching in the NFL again. They said he would want to do what he did in Alabama and LSU, and rebuild a team from the ground up. I know he failed in Miami, but would you give him any consideration?

Absolutely, don't know what went wrong in Miami but he runs a pro style program but I'm sure he learned from his mistakes like Belli did and would excel a second time around.

the big talk is cleveland - he has ties both to the team, and when connecting the dots to the new ownership and rumored front office coming in.

and he was part of the team that screwed by the move, he might want a shot at redemption.

I would take him in a second. The man has a system, and probably has plenty of assistants all over the country who would buy right into it. He prepares better than anyone I have ever seen, and is an absolute winner.

This Crimson Tide team is not as good as they were last year. They have a better offense, but the defense is not even close. That said, he has what, 5 weeks to plan his strategy? I know that I woudn't bet against him in this scenario.

If Saban came to Buffalo, I would be the happiest fan in the country.

Edited by Bill from NYC