[closed]Next Bills HC should be .....

merlin

Bruce Arians .

Living here in the Indianapolis area, I've been very impressed with the job he's done in the roles of both HC and OC since Chuck Pagano's illness. He definitely has his team "playing to win", rather than "playing not to lose". Yesterday's close game with the Titans is a good example. Less than 2 minutes to play, Titans out of time-outs, Colts ball on their own 25 yard line, up by 4, 2nd and 8, and he has his rookie qb throw a 12-yard strike to his rookie TE over the middle ...(which looked to be into tight coverage!) Luck got the completion, and the Colts did the "victory formation" to win the game.

MOST coaches probably would have played it safe at that point - run as much time off the clock as possible, punt it, and hope the defense could prevent a last-second touchdown. But Arians showed confidence in his offense, and it paid off. They've won 8 out of 10 since Arians took over for Pagano, and almost every win has been close, "gutty" football, requiring key calls in key situations, good clock management at "crunch time", and a willingness to take some risks - everything the Bills currently lack.

Colts expect Pagano to be back on the sideline by the last game of the season, (and hopefully into the playoffs). I don't know that Arians would consider taking a HC job somewhere else next year if it were offered - but he's at least the TYPE of coach I'd hope the Bills would go after if they get the chance.

GO BILLS!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this exact same thought. I just don't think Arians would leave Indy at this point. But we should have the conversation.

I would love to see them take a shot at Chip Kelly or David Shaw from the college ranks. Or maybe even Dabo Sweeney from Clemson.

ESPN.com: NFL Nation espn.gif

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Focused Arians hopes for head-coach shot

By Paul Kuharsky

Bruce Arians is 60 and NFL teams are not looking for 60-year-olds as their new head coaches.

But he’s something else, too -- a guy who’s good with young quarterbacks who’s done great work this season with Andrew Luck.

And teams will be looking for a guy like that.

nfl_ap_barians1_65.jpgArians

Will the Colts' offensive coordinator and interim head coach, who's filling in for Chuck Pagano, be in line for a head-coaching job when the season ends? Does he want to be?

“You always do,” he told Tennessee reporters on a conference call today. “I mean, if you’re coaching, that’s one of your goals. As long as you in are in the business. When I was a young assistant in college, I wanted to be a head coach in college. And every since I’ve been in the NFL I’d love to have had a chance.

“This might be my only chance and I’ve really had a great time with it. But I can’t wait for Chuck to get healthy and to get back."

Would Arians expect a team looking for a quarterback-developing head coach to call him? Has he earned that?

"Well I don’t know," he said. "That’s up to the owners and the general managers at this point to decide what they are looking for. I’m not going to hold my breath at my age and where I am at in my career. I’d love to have the opportunity to talk to one, but if it doesn’t happen, I’m cool with it.”

I understand wanting young and I do think younger coaches tend to connect with and relate to NFL players better.

But Arians has connected with these Colts fantastically well. He’s groomed Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Luck in their early NFL days. He's connected to a great coaching network so he should be able to hire a good staff. Those things should get him on the lists of owners and GMs who will be in the market.

“We need to capture this moment we have while we have it,” Reggie Wayne said. “He’s done a great job. He’s kept the team together, which is not easy. It could have been an easy excuse for us to fail, we lost our head coach, now everything will go south. ...

“He’s earned himself [a look] for a head-coaching job somewhere. Hopefully we can take advantage of him while we have him now and when that time comes, it comes.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/print?id=67898

Andy Reid!!!!! Forget college coaches... if you get Andy Reid a quarterback worth a damn at least, we're good. He just didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach- the place he's in now is an absolute pit that is far worse off than Buffalo.

Flame me if you wish, but it is time to stop pussyfooting around and get a guy who has proven he can win and win and win.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ReidAn0.htm

Edited by BmoreBills

ESPN.com: NFL Nation espn.gif

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Focused Arians hopes for head-coach shot

By Paul Kuharsky

Bruce Arians is 60 and NFL teams are not looking for 60-year-olds as their new head coaches.

But he’s something else, too -- a guy who’s good with young quarterbacks who’s done great work this season with Andrew Luck.

And teams will be looking for a guy like that.

nfl_ap_barians1_65.jpgArians

Will the Colts' offensive coordinator and interim head coach, who's filling in for Chuck Pagano, be in line for a head-coaching job when the season ends? Does he want to be?

“You always do,” he told Tennessee reporters on a conference call today. “I mean, if you’re coaching, that’s one of your goals. As long as you in are in the business. When I was a young assistant in college, I wanted to be a head coach in college. And every since I’ve been in the NFL I’d love to have had a chance.

“This might be my only chance and I’ve really had a great time with it. But I can’t wait for Chuck to get healthy and to get back."

Would Arians expect a team looking for a quarterback-developing head coach to call him? Has he earned that?

"Well I don’t know," he said. "That’s up to the owners and the general managers at this point to decide what they are looking for. I’m not going to hold my breath at my age and where I am at in my career. I’d love to have the opportunity to talk to one, but if it doesn’t happen, I’m cool with it.”

I understand wanting young and I do think younger coaches tend to connect with and relate to NFL players better.

But Arians has connected with these Colts fantastically well. He’s groomed Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Luck in their early NFL days. He's connected to a great coaching network so he should be able to hire a good staff. Those things should get him on the lists of owners and GMs who will be in the market.

“We need to capture this moment we have while we have it,” Reggie Wayne said. “He’s done a great job. He’s kept the team together, which is not easy. It could have been an easy excuse for us to fail, we lost our head coach, now everything will go south. ...

“He’s earned himself [a look] for a head-coaching job somewhere. Hopefully we can take advantage of him while we have him now and when that time comes, it comes.”

http://espn.go.com/b.../print?id=67898

same age as chan... same "good working with QB'S" rep.. as chan.. just a little leery...

Andy Reid!!!!! Forget college coaches... if you get Andy Reid a quarterback worth a damn at least, we're good. He just didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach- the place he's in now is an absolute pit that is far worse off than Buffalo.

Flame me if you wish, but it is time to stop pussyfooting around and get a guy who has proven he can win and win and win.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/ReidAn0.htm

What has Reid done that is so impressive? Without McNabb he's been terrible. I would stay away from Reid and his drama.

What has Reid done that is so impressive? Without McNabb he's been terrible. I would stay away from Reid and his drama.

With Vick and a disgusting offensive line he's been terrible, you mean. I think that is on the GM for not realizing Vick isn't a franchise QB... and what drama???? Is it any more dramatic than it has been with Gregg Williams? Mike Mularkey? Dick Jauron? Chan Gailey?!?!? NONE of those guys had a winning record with ANY QB except the Bledsoe blip year of 2004 at 9-7!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by BmoreBills

Bruce Arians .

Living here in the Indianapolis area, I've been very impressed with the job he's done in the roles of both HC and OC since Chuck Pagano's illness. He definitely has his team "playing to win", rather than "playing not to lose". Yesterday's close game with the Titans is a good example. Less than 2 minutes to play, Titans out of time-outs, Colts ball on their own 25 yard line, up by 4, 2nd and 8, and he has his rookie qb throw a 12-yard strike to his rookie TE over the middle ...(which looked to be into tight coverage!) Luck got the completion, and the Colts did the "victory formation" to win the game.

MOST coaches probably would have played it safe at that point - run as much time off the clock as possible, punt it, and hope the defense could prevent a last-second touchdown. But Arians showed confidence in his offense, and it paid off. They've won 8 out of 10 since Arians took over for Pagano, and almost every win has been close, "gutty" football, requiring key calls in key situations, good clock management at "crunch time", and a willingness to take some risks - everything the Bills currently lack.

Colts expect Pagano to be back on the sideline by the last game of the season, (and hopefully into the playoffs). I don't know that Arians would consider taking a HC job somewhere else next year if it were offered - but he's at least the TYPE of coach I'd hope the Bills would go after if they get the chance.

GO BILLS!

Simon is mad at you now ( :P )

He is having the best HC interview all season, hope he talks real well in front of Ralph.

He was part of pti's 5 good minutes and they asked him about never being a hc. He looked genuinely sad and had no answer for why teams never looked his way. The light went on immediately and I thought I would love to see him here. I wonder if Whaley and he had a good relationship. He is a sb winning coordinator and one that Big Ben and now the Colts have had nothing but good things to say about. After the play calling debacle this year I would be happier to see him on the sidelines than Chan next year.