Ron Brooks - Out of Position

TheLynchTrain

When we drafted Ron Brooks this year, I thought it was a pretty interesting pickup for a guy that never played more than nickel in college (as he should, the talent ahead of him was phenomenal). With the way spread offenses have been moving the past decade or so, especially how some of the best receivers in the NFL are now playing slot, I wondered if the Bills we're ushering in a new tactic here. It seems that the past few years that the slot CB position has evolved into an entirely different position than outside CBs, with an entirely different skill set. I wondered if the NFL would ever catch on, and start drafting CBs specifically for that position. And here come the Bills, drafting a slot CB for what seems like, gasp, a slot CB role in the NFL. Hey, are the Bills involved in something revolutionary here?!

But for the millionth time, it sounds like I gave the Bills credit way too early and probably read wayyyyy to far into the decision. Brooks has been playing exclusively on the outside since he's come back from IR, and not surprisingly, he's been burned. BAD. Take a look at the Bradford to Gibson touchdown - anyone want to guess where he's lined up? Outside of course. Why are we playing this kid who exclusively played inside in college on the outside in the NFL? Its not like Justin Rogers has been shutting down WRs this year. Leave it to the Bills to play to our players weaknesses rather than strengths.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap2000000107185/NFL-Fantasy-Live-Jackson-has-some-fantasy-fun?continuous=true

Chan talked about this last week. The inside position is harder to play. Brooks missed 10 weeks and that time missed stunted his growth as a cb and he needs to learn more before playing inside. He's a good cb and stand by the thought that he'll be our starting cb opposite Gilmore for years to come

Chan talked about this last week. The inside position is harder to play. Brooks missed 10 weeks and that time missed stunted his growth as a cb and he needs to learn more before playing inside. He's a good cb and stand by the thought that he'll be our starting cb opposite Gilmore for years to come

Yeah, he's in his 2nd NFL game. The Rams got completely shut down before the last drive. Brooks competes and plays big. He's so not a worry.

Yeah, he's in his 2nd NFL game. The Rams got completely shut down before the last drive. Brooks competes and plays big. He's so not a worry.

Yeah, I liked a lot of what I saw from him on Sunday. He got burned a couple times, but also made some solid plays. I really like the enthusiasm and confidence he plays with too. A lot of potential here.

Evan though the Bills won't admit it, they most often do not draft the best player avaliable. They seem to want to put the square peg into the round hole. Graham , might be a very good player some day, and brooks might be as well. BUT WATCH RUSSEL WILSON SUNDAY. WE COULD HAVE HAD HIM!!! HE IS FLUTIE WITH A LONG BAL !!!!

Compared to mckelvin, Williams, and Rogers, brooks has played great....he is not the liability that the others are, and will be solid for us for a while...with all the real issues on this team, I really don't understand the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is why are we playing a player on the outside if all his experience is on the inside? I'm not bashing Brooks here, I'm bashing the coaching decision. I liked the pick. Play your players where their strengths are.

Yeah, I liked a lot of what I saw from him on Sunday. He got burned a couple times, but also made some solid plays. I really like the enthusiasm and confidence he plays with too. A lot of potential here.

Agreed with this and the other posts with the same sentiment. Brooks isnt a concern.

When we drafted Ron Brooks this year, I thought it was a pretty interesting pickup for a guy that never played more than nickel in college (as he should, the talent ahead of him was phenomenal). With the way spread offenses have been moving the past decade or so, especially how some of the best receivers in the NFL are now playing slot, I wondered if the Bills we're ushering in a new tactic here. It seems that the past few years that the slot CB position has evolved into an entirely different position than outside CBs, with an entirely different skill set. I wondered if the NFL would ever catch on, and start drafting CBs specifically for that position. And here come the Bills, drafting a slot CB for what seems like, gasp, a slot CB role in the NFL. Hey, are the Bills involved in something revolutionary here?!

But for the millionth time, it sounds like I gave the Bills credit way too early and probably read wayyyyy to far into the decision. Brooks has been playing exclusively on the outside since he's come back from IR, and not surprisingly, he's been burned. BAD. Take a look at the Bradford to Gibson touchdown - anyone want to guess where he's lined up? Outside of course. Why are we playing this kid who exclusively played inside in college on the outside in the NFL? Its not like Justin Rogers has been shutting down WRs this year. Leave it to the Bills to play to our players weaknesses rather than strengths.

http://www.nfl.com/v...continuous=true

First off, Brooks was playing only his second game and was coming off injury. He hasn't had practice time nor game time. Give the kid a break. He literally is at the very minimum the 2nd most talented DB on this roster. He is fast (ran a 4.26 forty), he is physical, and he has great cover skills. If he played for anyone other than LSU he would have been a high first round pick. When he did get chances to start at LSU he dominated the games and even won player of the game awards.

Actually, the season is completely over...the one place he NEEDS to be playing is on the outside. Let him get the work and time in now that he has missed all year as much as we can. Come next year, Gilmore and Brooks will be our starting DB's and if we had a DC that actually understood how to create pressure up front, our DB's would be looking much different. Our DB's are not our issue, they are young and will learn as they play. Our 2 biggest issues are LB's and our DC not doing enough to create havoc up front. He constantly brings only 4...let me tell you that doesn't even work in Madden let alone the NFL...seriously. You give NFL QB's time to throw, even the worst of them can find open guys.

Mark my words, Brooks is going to be a player for a long time for this team...that is until he is a FA and Buffalo decides not resign him because they dont want to pay market value.

The OP's point appears to be an indictment of the coaching staff rather than any slight of Brooks' ability or effort. I liked the pick too and when the LSU HC was on during the broadcast when the Bills made the pick he also stated the Bills got a great player. I believe that given an entire offseason that Brooks, and Gilmore, will raise their level of play significantly above what we've witnessed this season. Given a year under their belt the DB group should become a strength of the defense.

The coaching staff on the other hand appears to have no learning curve or chance of improvement. While I don't welcome another new coaching regime next season unless its a clear 'improvement' and move forward I am completely depressed at the hopeless prospect of dealing with another season of Gailey/Wanstadt next year. The only person left on Earth that can't see these guys are clueless is the one person needed to make the decision.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

awesome, 2 games into his career and here comes the bullsh!t. Hes a rookie and we are very thin at corner, so please give it a rest. Would you rather Leodis play outside!?!?!? I know i wouldnt.

Yep, McKelvin has played well on the outside the last 5 or 6 games. He has the speed to do so. He is not a great hitter, but can tackle. Now, about Brooks....good hitter, coverage skills, but slower than a CB needs to be. He could not run down the returner (Hilton) on the kickoff return in the Indy game....he was outclassed speed wise. Hilton is a wide out! Look at the film, I studied it several times. He seems like a safety to me....and, alas, Williams is also a safety. So, if McKelvin is not resigned by the Bills (he will get big money in the league somewhere), the Bills will once again need a CB with speed...read early rounds into that statement, maybe another #1.

First off, Brooks was playing only his second game and was coming off injury. He hasn't had practice time nor game time. Give the kid a break. He literally is at the very minimum the 2nd most talented DB on this roster. He is fast (ran a 4.26 forty), he is physical, and he has great cover skills. If he played for anyone other than LSU he would have been a high first round pick. When he did get chances to start at LSU he dominated the games and even won player of the game awards.

Actually, the season is completely over...the one place he NEEDS to be playing is on the outside. Let him get the work and time in now that he has missed all year as much as we can. Come next year, Gilmore and Brooks will be our starting DB's and if we had a DC that actually understood how to create pressure up front, our DB's would be looking much different. Our DB's are not our issue, they are young and will learn as they play. Our 2 biggest issues are LB's and our DC not doing enough to create havoc up front. He constantly brings only 4...let me tell you that doesn't even work in Madden let alone the NFL...seriously. You give NFL QB's time to throw, even the worst of them can find open guys.

Mark my words, Brooks is going to be a player for a long time for this team...that is until he is a FA and Buffalo decides not resign him because they dont want to pay market value.

You bring up some good points. I didn't realize that he was drafted to be an outside CB, I was under the impression that we were drafting him to play where he played in college, inside. Apparently this fact wasn't backed up anywhere other than in my own head. But yes, the kid is in his second game and very little practice - isn't that all the more reason to play him at a position where he is most comfortable, inside? At least until he gets a little more game experience? That's all I'm saying. I would have been happier to see Leodis outside, Brooks inside, and Rogers on the bench where he belongs. But hey, if they're playing him outside, let's hope the experience gives him the confidence to win one of the starting CB spots next year.

The OP's point appears to be an indictment of the coaching staff rather than any slight of Brooks' ability or effort. I liked the pick too and when the LSU HC was on during the broadcast when the Bills made the pick he also stated the Bills got a great player. I believe that given an entire offseason that Brooks, and Gilmore, will raise their level of play significantly above what we've witnessed this season. Given a year under their belt the DB group should become a strength of the defense.

The coaching staff on the other hand appears to have no learning curve or chance of improvement. While I don't welcome another new coaching regime next season unless its a clear 'improvement' and move forward I am completely depressed at the hopeless prospect of dealing with another season of Gailey/Wanstadt next year. The only person left on Earth that can't see these guys are clueless is the one person needed to make the decision.

+1

Yep, McKelvin has played well on the outside the last 5 or 6 games. He has the speed to do so. He is not a great hitter, but can tackle. Now, about Brooks....good hitter, coverage skills, but slower than a CB needs to be. He could not run down the returner (Hilton) on the kickoff return in the Indy game....he was outclassed speed wise. Hilton is a wide out! Look at the film, I studied it several times. He seems like a safety to me....and, alas, Williams is also a safety. So, if McKelvin is not resigned by the Bills (he will get big money in the league somewhere), the Bills will once again need a CB with speed...read early rounds into that statement, maybe another #1.

Brooks runs a 4.35 40, are you kidding?