Ron Brooks - Out of Position

TheLynchTrain

You bring up some good points. I didn't realize that he was drafted to be an outside CB, I was under the impression that we were drafting him to play where he played in college, inside. Apparently this fact wasn't backed up anywhere other than in my own head. But yes, the kid is in his second game and very little practice - isn't that all the more reason to play him at a position where he is most comfortable, inside? At least until he gets a little more game experience? That's all I'm saying. I would have been happier to see Leodis outside, Brooks inside, and Rogers on the bench where he belongs. But hey, if they're playing him outside, let's hope the experience gives him the confidence to win one of the starting CB spots next year.

Slot corner is a different animal in the NFL. Given his lack of experience and prep time this season, I agree it's best to keep him on the outside where he'll have the sideline to act as an extra defender and not have to cover as much field as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

The point of this thread is why are we playing a player on the outside if all his experience is on the inside? I'm not bashing Brooks here, I'm bashing the coaching decision. I liked the pick. Play your players where their strengths are.

Like i said, Gailey mentioned that he hasn't had enough reps inside due to his injury. He thinks brooks needs some more time learning it. Whether or not he played inside in college is irrelevant. He hasn't had many reps inside playing this defense. That's your answer

I have thought he has played very well and would have had a sure interception if not for Offensive Pass Interference (that did not get called) I see Brooks and Gilmore playing man to man on their WR and the other CB and S in Zone coverage. They both appear to be headed to be lock down corners in my opinion.

The point of this thread is why are we playing a player on the outside if all his experience is on the inside? I'm not bashing Brooks here, I'm bashing the coaching decision. I liked the pick. Play your players where their strengths are.

And your point has been addressed three times now, in posts #3, #22, and #23.

If you care to discuss it, then discuss it.

And your point has been addressed three times now, in posts #3, #22, and #23.

If you care to discuss it, then discuss it.

Yes it has been, thank you. Personal preference here, I would just still prefer Brooks to play the position he played in college. While slot may be a different beast, I still believe that the best receivers in the league play outside. Plenty of rookies have come in and played slot. I would rather put a rookie with limited game and practice experience into a position he may feel more comfortable in early.. That being said, I hope he plays well, and takes that outside over the outside job next year. If he's good enough, he's good enough to play anywhere. Hopefully the coaching decision proves correct.

Yeah, I liked a lot of what I saw from him on Sunday. He got burned a couple times, but also made some solid plays. I really like the enthusiasm and confidence he plays with too. A lot of potential here.

Exactly. I saw the same thing. He was a little slow and an inch short on their last touchdown or he would've knocked it down. He's been picked on a lot in the last couple games. All part to the learning curve for a rookie CB. Tough situation to be put in. Hopefully he won't lose confidence and only get better.

Personal preference here, I would just still prefer Brooks to play the position he played in college. While slot may be a different beast, I still believe that the best receivers in the league play outside. Plenty of rookies have come in and played slot. I would rather put a rookie with limited game and practice experience into a position he may feel more comfortable in early.. That being said, I hope he plays well, and takes that outside over the outside job next year. If he's good enough, he's good enough to play anywhere. Hopefully the coaching decision proves correct.

I don't really have a preference as to where he plays although the Bills rationale for playing him on the outside seems like a bit of a reach. But I don't really know.

Anyways unlike many people, I think he's generally played well.

As touched on in another thread on the subject, he was not a starter in college, missed 10 weeks of this season on injured reserve, was hastily thrust into a starting role two weeks ago due to injuries, and has been picked on since becoming active.

In that first game one of the posters here (No Justice) tracked the throws and the Jaguars (who had been on fire since Chad Henne took over throwing to Blackmon and Shorts) threw at Brooks 18 times!

In spite of that he had 4 pass breakups and the Jags only completed 50% of the passes.

Yes Brooks has been burned here and there but he's also made some nice plays and he looks like he competes hard and has really good skills.

So in this lost season, I'm encouraged by what I see of him and I'm glad he's getting lots of playing time.

I think he's gonna be a good player.