Nix: Patience fans, patience (sorry, no Jay Rosen quotes)

Beerball

Nix said that he wanted to upgrade other positions before getting a QB and I believe him. I just don't know if he can identify a QB prospect when it is his turn to make a pick. Was he ignoring the position in favor of upgrading other areas or was he missing out on legitimate prospects?

This is my worry as well. Unfortunately, I think it's as much the latter as the former. Nix has been talking about getting a QB since he got here.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since early in Nix's tenure, he espoused the value of BPA and saying or implying that reaching for need is what got the team in trouble in the first place. Now he is basically saying BPA at a position of need. Most people would call this 'reaching'.

I have said in the past that a slavish adherence to any one particular philosophy is asking for trouble. BPA at all costs has its price and we are paying it with the lack of a stud QB. I now don't want Nix to reach for a QB and pin our hopes of the future on this prospect who could very well flame out. The round in which a QB is picked is very important psychologically. A first or second rounder is expected to contribute very quickly. Whereas a 3rd rounder starting (Wilson) is quite rare. If a QB with 3rd rd grade is picked in the second, the expectations go up immediately and correspondingly the chances of failure. We cannot afford to flame out yet again on a QB draft pick.

The Bills have drafted one quarterback, a 7th rounder, in the last 3 drafts.

The Bills have a glaring need at quarterback and I personally don't care what round he's drafted in. I'm not an adherent to the belief that QBs have to be taken in any particular round. Most good QBs are taken in the first round partly because of the QB premium. MANY of those first found QBs bust.

As the Aaron Williams pick illustrates, there are no sure picks anyways.

Quarterbacks come at a premium price and I have no problem with the Bills paying the premium (reaching).

Buddy = MORON!

This is the same GM who stated in his opening presser..."I know before I'm asked this, you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away," This was 12-31-2009.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2009-12-31-buddy-nix-general-manager_N.htm

Then when the team went 0-8 in the first 8 games in 2010 Nix states "its going to take some time". Owner Ralph Wilson also made the statement of P&P Pain and Patience ...

"Calling himself "a realist," Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson warned it might take as many as three years to rebuild his team, and added drafting a quarterback next year is the club's top priority." This was in Oct 11th 2010.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5674582

The BS from this Org just never ceases! This owner is perfectly content with the status quo as long as the profits keep rolling in :wallbash:

The Bills had the opportunity to take either Kapernick or Dalton in the second round a couple of years ago. Instead, Nix drafted Aaron Williams, a CB. The Bengals took Dalton after us in the second round. Now he is one of the main reasons why they are an ascending team. The 49ers under Harbaugh who already had a "credible" starter in Alex Smith took Kaepernick in the second round, again after us. Kaepernick was recently inserted as a starter on a team capable of competing for the SB. There is no doubt that Harbaugh saw enough potential in Kaepernick to draft him after Nix already made his seond round selection.

After this season the Bills will have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. One of the primary reasons for their sluggish performance is that they haven't had a legitimate franchise qb during that dismal interlude. Now our GM has belatedly determined that he needs an upgrade at qb. That hesitation to act will lengthen the timetable it will take for this team to be in position to make the playoffs because it takes time to develop a qb prospect.

Winning organizations make smart ahead of the curve decisions when assembling a roster. The Bills are a lackluster organization with commensurate outcomes because they don't seize opportunities when they are presented. This backwater organization preferred taking a cautious approach in addressing the most critical need at qb while other organizations took advantage of our drafting mistake.

The qb position is without a doubt the most important position in the game. The caliber of qb is the greatest determinant of a team being successful. You don't have to be an insightful football analyst to recognize somethig so obvious. Our slow thinking and acting GM has now come to the realization that this laggard team needs to address an issue that needed to be addressed shortly after he took over the football operation. You don't have to be an astute judge of talent to understand that Fitz never had the talent to be anything more than a backup in this leauge. Anyone in the organization who thought otherwise should be fired for gross incompetence.

The Bills are what they are compared to other successful franchises not because of any inherent disadvantages other than their own ineptitude. It gets very tiresome.

This story is not just with the GM.

If they had drafted a QB I highly doubt Gailey would have even utilized him at all considering no other QB has been able to assimilate his offense. Not to mention it took 2 seasons and 11 games this year for Gailey to realize he should be running more and passing less. Particularly because he has a sub par QB, and two super star RB's.

The stupidity starts at GM, runs thru the HC he hired, and then runs thru the DC the HC hired. What a conglomeration of morons! These tools make Jauron / Levy look brilliant!

If patience, wait and see, is the official comment, I suggest that fans exercise their patience by leaving their wallets closed until they actually see the product they're buying. However, we all know that the true message is more like keep buying tickets and Bills items, but don't expect to get much in return--not the mantra of a successful company.

The Bills had the opportunity to take either Kapernick or Dalton in the second round a couple of years ago. Instead, Nix drafted Aaron Williams, a CB. The Bengals took Dalton after us in the second round. Now he is one of the main reasons why they are an ascending team. The 49ers under Harbaugh who already had a "credible" starter in Alex Smith took Kaepernick in the second round, again after us. Kaepernick was recently inserted as a starter on a team capable of competing for the SB. There is no doubt that Harbaugh saw enough potential in Kaepernick to draft him after Nix already made his seond round selection.

After this season the Bills will have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. One of the primary reasons for their sluggish performance is that they haven't had a legitimate franchise qb during that dismal interlude. Now our GM has belatedly determined that he needs an upgrade at qb. That hesitation to act will lengthen the timetable it will take for this team to be in position to make the playoffs because it takes time to develop a qb prospect.

Winning organizations make smart ahead of the curve decisions when assembling a roster. The Bills are a lackluster organization with commensurate outcomes because they don't seize opportunities when they are presented. This backwater organization preferred taking a cautious approach in addressing the most critical need at qb while other organizations took advantage of our drafting mistake.

The qb position is without a doubt the most important position in the game. The caliber of qb is the greatest determinant of a team being successful. You don't have to be an insightful football analyst to recognize somethig so obvious. Our slow thinking and acting GM has now come to the realization that this laggard team needs to address an issue that needed to be addressed shortly after he took over the football operation. You don't have to be an astute judge of talent to understand that Fitz never had the talent to be anything more than a backup in this leauge. Anyone in the organization who thought otherwise should be fired for gross incompetence.

The Bills are what they are compared to other successful franchises not because of any inherent disadvantages other than their own ineptitude. It gets very tiresome.

I think I may be your #1 fan. Very well said.

so patience is not something anyone here considers it appears.

How many years from playoffs ?

How many GM's.

How many head coaches ?

You all know the answer.

Alot of folks here also wanted half the starting lineup fired or replaced in the first half of the season.

The rest of you want the other half fired now that we are in the second half.

LOLzzz

I'm with john.

SO Buddy's rationale for not drafting a QB 3 consecutive years is so he can build a team for the QB first? After 3 drafts, what has Buddy built? He's gotten, what, 3 legit starters, maybe 4 (Spiller, Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore)? The rest of his picks are either gone, on the PS or are backups. In fact, the majority of his impact starters over the past 3 years were given to him by Jauron.

What, exactly, has Buddy built with the draft over the past 3 years?? What has he done that allows him to claim he has been wise to not have picked a QB yet?

His pick of A. Williams (or any CB) in 2011 instead of a QB (from what is turning out to have been a very deep class) is proof of his incompetence with regard to assessing and addressing the QB position. Why on Earth would anyone believe he's going to successfully address it this off-season?

Am I the only one who sees this article as a complete slap in the face to the fans???

No offense to JW. Nix must think the fans are a load of idiots, and maybe he is right...

No, you're not. I always though Nix was a straight shooter, always giving us the truth. But this is the first time I find him straight lying to us. He is full of crap here.

It's funny how we always see Nix trying to get better at every position. They're always looking under rocks, signing free agents, collecting UDFAs in search of better players. Case in point: cutting Moorman. All except for the QB position, the most important position in football, which Nix has completely ignored. All while we see other teams snatching up QBs that seem to be working out for them.

Vick.

And why exactly would we want to pick up a QB that was just benched on a 3-9 team? Are you being sarcastic?

Too many injuries. Hope they keep all of them out rest of season to heal and get in better shape for next year. Get a look at other players to get experience for depth. I would hate to start from scratch again. Next season should be a lot better.

Just get more advice on drafting and resign our free agents, a good trade and who knows. I still would like a basic dome next to the Ralph rather then $200 million + remodel.

If patience, wait and see, is the official comment, I suggest that fans exercise their patience by leaving their wallets closed until they actually see the product they're buying. However, we all know that the true message is more like keep buying tickets and Bills items, but don't expect to get much in return--not the mantra of a successful company.

Really? Seems to have worked out pretty well for Mr. Wilson's bank account for more than 50 years.

Besides probably the QB and head coach, I think this is the most talented Bills team since the late 90s. It is filled with legit top tier guys on both lines, receiver, and defensive backs. I do think Gailey was a forced hire by Nix because of the situation he inherited. I also believe Gailey is the one who lobbied for Fitz. So overall, Nix has gotten a lot of talent here. PErsonally, I think anything less than a 8-8 or better finish, Gailey should go. But I do like the job Nix has done.

Besides probably the QB and head coach, I think this is the most talented Bills team since the late 90s. It is filled with legit top tier guys on both lines, receiver, and defensive backs. I do think Gailey was a forced hire by Nix because of the situation he inherited. I also believe Gailey is the one who lobbied for Fitz. So overall, Nix has gotten a lot of talent here. PErsonally, I think anything less than a 8-8 or better finish, Gailey should go. But I do like the job Nix has done.

Except for the top tier receiver part, i agree 100%.

:thumbsup: