Jake Long 2013 Starting RT

Dean Cain

Long road into the NFL on a lot of potential and his dad's coat tails. he has never quite lived up to the hype. I think he is better suited at RT. He has talent and is worth a look. Need linemen who are durable.

Jake Long would be a stud at RT, if the market is really down on him at LT and he is far from commanding LT type money I would give him a nice deal at RT. Pears is decent and Hariston has potential but I think Long would be a pro bowl RT year and year out. Combined with a nice interior OL and Glenn at LT our line would be sick.

Its not a great need and I think some team would gladly pay LT money for Long.

Long road into the NFL on a lot of potential and his dad's coat tails. he has never quite lived up to the hype. I think he is better suited at RT. He has talent and is worth a look. Need linemen who are durable.

if your talking about Howie Long....howie is NOT Jake's father....

Jake is a 4 time Pro Bowler...2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011.......that's not hype....

he has been injured of late .....end of 2011 (back) and was just placed on IR this week with a triceps tear to end his 2012 season..

while he may no longer be "elite".....he is certainly an upgrade over hairston.

he is just 27 years old.....

Don't forget Urbik, a quality guard that also plays center. Have needed him there two years in a row. And, I am still not a believer in Hairston, he gets beat to much by speed guys.

Hairston may get beat by top speed rushers on occasion but often holds his own and is Ogdenesque compared to some players seeing action at tackle in this league. Have you seen the cards or eagles play? Cornell green a few years ago. There is a whole baseline level of tackles he is way better than.

Jake Long is in the final year of his contract and it would cost the Dolphins in the 15 million range to franchise him.

http://www.thephinsi...t-game-in-miami

Quote: "Long is not the Long of the past four seasons. He's routinely struggled in pass protection, although he's been strong in run blocking. But, you don't pay a left tackle to run block. He has to be there to protect a quarterback's blind side. And, when you have a rookie "franchise" quarterback, you really need to be able to protect him."

So my question to you Bills fans is if the Phins decide to move away from Jake Long, would you take him in as your Right Tackle?

The Bills offensive line would "on paper" be graded as one of the top lines in the NFL from LT to RT. The running game in particular would be extremely strong. Considering the Bills do most of their damage running from the center to the left side, adding Long would significantly upgrade our right side. Suddenly if teams decide to stack the box and put 8 men in the box, Gailey may want to try and run.

Flame.

Hell yeah, I was thinking of this earlier today and if he struggles on the right switch him with Cordy who is bigger and would be able to handle the bigger DEs.

if your talking about Howie Long....howie is NOT Jake's father....

Jake is a 4 time Pro Bowler...2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011.......that's not hype....

he has been injured of late .....end of 2011 (back) and was just placed on IR this week with a triceps tear to end his 2012 season..

while he may no longer be "elite".....he is certainly an upgrade over hairston.

he is just 27 years old.....

Amen. Hairston sucks compared to Jake Long.

$15M for a RT?

We can just stop the debate about Jake Long. He's not coming to Buffalo. Buffalo has a left tackle and enough money in the O-line.

via espn.com CJ Spiller

BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST RIGHT SIDE 32 124 3.9 14 0 4 40 10.0 28 0 0 0 LEFT SIDE 20 185 9.3 56 5 13 132 10.2 32 1 0 0 MIDDLE 63 475 7.5 49 0 5 66 13.2 20 0 1 1 LEFT SIDELINE 10 43 4.3 13 0 7 84 12.0 30 0 1 1 RIGHT SIDELINE 12 80 6.7 22 0 3 10 3.3 9 0 0 0

via espn Fred Jackson

BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST RIGHT SIDE 28 103 3.7 13 0 5 41 8.2 15 0 2 1 LEFT SIDE 28 142 5.1 14 2 10 66 6.6 16 0 1 1 MIDDLE 44 169 3.8 15 1 3 10 3.3 4 1 1 1 LEFT SIDELINE 5 10 2.0 9 0 6 62 10.3 34 0 0 0 RIGHT SIDELINE 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 3 12 4.0 9 0 0 0

via espn Tashard Choice

BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST RIGHT SIDE 16 51 3.2 12 0 2 4 2.0 3 0 0 0 LEFT SIDE 12 69 5.8 22 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 MIDDLE 11 44 4.0 9 0 2 5 2.5 5 0 0 0 LEFT SIDELINE 1 -5 -5.0 -5 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 RIGHT SIDELINE 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0

Judging by these stats there's no doubt our Left Side is our Money side! 7 of our 9 rushing touchdowns have been on the left side, 2 of 9 in the middle, and 0 of 9 on the right!

Thank You, these are some of the stats I was referring to. I agree the chances of getting him at RT are slim, but he would be a beast at RT. Shifting right would prolong his status as a superior talent, as being a RT is considered less challenging than being a LT. I believe you build on your strengths and use them. We already have superior talent for the run game, a few tweaks could make it dominant. It will take years to become a passing strength in the league, but with a few additions and the right coaching we could become the leading rushing team in the league and a playoff contender in ONE season. Use FA to become a dominant rushing team in one season, or take years to become a passing team. Use the draft to build the pass offense (QB, WR,TE) and the defensive secondary (LB)(corners). I'm tired of waiting, I want a competitive team NOW! That is the choice, win now with the run, or wait for another 3 year plan that doesn't work. We need to at least try for him, if he goes elsewhere fine, but we at least need to try whatever we can do to win NOW!

Edited by simpleman

You can never have enough invested in your OLine.

Figuring the Bills extend Levitre & Byrd the Bills will likely cut Kelsay, Barnett, Pears to free up money in '13. McGee & Merriman's money will also be freed up.

We can argue what T spot will maximize Long's longevity but the main question is what is his value assuming he hits the FA market?

Long will be 28 and likely looking for a 5-6 year deal that will be his last big pay day. Long can't get top level LT money & we will know this once Miami makes their offer. Most teams will not pay Long top money for 5-6 years given his age & injury history.

My estimate is Long will be offered a 5 year deal at 12 million (tops) per year for 60 million total. Locking up a guy who will be 32 the final year of his contract seems reasonable given our needs.

You can never have enough invested in your OLine.

Figuring the Bills extend Levitre & Byrd the Bills will likely cut Kelsay, Barnett, Pears to free up money in '13. McGee & Merriman's money will also be freed up.

We can argue what T spot will maximize Long's longevity but the main question is what is his value assuming he hits the FA market?

Long will be 28 and likely looking for a 5-6 year deal that will be his last big pay day. Long can't get top level LT money & we will know this once Miami makes their offer. Most teams will not pay Long top money for 5-6 years given his age & injury history.

My estimate is Long will be offered a 5 year deal at 12 million (tops) per year for 60 million total. Locking up a guy who will be 32 the final year of his contract seems reasonable given our needs.

assuming this is close to true....then he gets FRANCHISE TAGGED for at least 1 year....maybe 2...(unless they know he is damaged goods).

the franchise tag for O-lineman for 2012 was $9.4 mil , which is down from the $10.1 in 2011. "IF" healthy, miami would be crazy to let him go.

the big red flag for jake long is his back.....that back injury may be the reason for his drop off in play....( ie terrell troup).

http://www.cbssports...475988/34834810

Edited by papazoid

I can see the Dallas Star on his helmet now.

Or maybe in philly

or Chicago

There are two dozen teams that could use him at LT.

But yes I would love him at RT if he wanted to play here. He might be a 'Buffalo' type guy too, but don't expect Nix to go after him, or weakness isnt at RT.

You can always look at options to upgrade the O-line but the Bills have one of the highest yards per carry averages in the NFL this season and the pass offense is hampered more by a wildly inaccurate Quarterback and the lack of a legitimate #2 receiver than any offensive line issues. Signing Levitre and getting Wood healthy are key also and adding some veteran depth at the right price would be a good move too.

That is why it hurt us this year to not go after a Vincent Jackson.

Uhh, you're thinking of Chris Long, who has turned into a top defensive end over the last two years.

No... Money needs to be spent on Levitre, Byrd, McKelvin, Urbik, and at least two FA LB's

Did you see CJ, FJ & TC rushing stats on the left vs right? Clearly our right side is far below our left. I say we should sign Levitre & Byrd & Urbik & build our LBs via the draft like New England & Pittsburgh do.

Our money situation is plentiful if we cut Pears, Kelsay & not extend Merriman, & McGee.

If we really want to make a bold move we should cut Fitzpatrick draft a rookie QB & develop Tavaris Jackson this offseason in case the rookie needs time.

Did you see CJ, FJ & TC rushing stats on the left vs right? Clearly our right side is far below our left. I say we should sign Levitre & Byrd & Urbik & build our LBs via the draft like New England & Pittsburgh do.

Our money situation is plentiful if we cut Pears, Kelsay & not extend Merriman, & McGee.

Cutting Pears and Kelsay could give us money, but not sure on McGee and Merriman. I think McGee still has the talent, skill, desire and heart, but even he now realizes that he has sacrificed too much of his body for it to be effective enough anymore, there is just not enough left there to play with. So he will not resign. When Merriman rejoined the Bills after being released, does anyone know what he signed for? I don't believe it was for big bucks. If he is a bargain, why not resign him. If Fitz returns he needs to restructure to back up QB dollars, or not come back. We should have the money to resign Levitre and Byrd. Get talent on the right side of the O line and a WR in FA. Draft LB high in the draft (Te'o) and a QB or two. Dump the other useless backup QB salaries.