Punting with 3 mins left

How does Chan rationalize punting from around midfield with only 3 mins left and his defense as bad as it is? Did he actually believe that they could shutdown the Colts and get the ball back? What evidence did he have from this season to lead him to this insane conclusion. And yet there we are listening to Rich Gannon call him a great playcaller etc. This guy is a joke.

Edited by Livinginthepast

How does Chan rationalize punting from around midfield with only 3 mins left and his defense as bad as it it? Did he actually believe that they could shutdown the Colts and get the ball back? What evidence did he have from this season to lead him to this insane conclusion. And yet there we are listening to Rich Gannon call him a great playcaller etc. This guy is a joke.

our defense played phenomenal today.

gailey is dumb for punting because of the TIME left in the game, not because of our defense.

colts wouldnt have scored on that drive, they only scored 13 points on offense all day, and 3 of those were freaking gift wrapped to them at the end of the first half--and they shouldnt even have gotten those because a) they fumbled at the 1, and b) the clock ran out.

but to think fitz was going to take us 80 yards for a td in 1 minute? god i hate this team.

To be fair they had held the Colts to 13 points today and did a good job last week as well. That being said they had one three and out all day (that I can remember) and even when they force a punt it's usually after a few first downs.

It's a tough call to make because it was 4th and long and you're putting the entire game in the hands of the O picking that up because if they don't you're not driving 80+ yards with no timeouts left to win. The Bills had 3 timeouts and if the D did it's job the Bills would have had the ball near midfield with over 2 minutes left. What do you think had the greatest odds of happening, picking up that first with an O that struggled all day or holding them to a 3 and out with the D? I call it a tossup.

Edited by MDH

Buffalo forced two punts in the 4th quarter, and allowed only one score. They were playing well. And should've forced a punt on the last drive, only to be screwed (again) by the refs.

I'll admit the defense was ok today but you had to think they would fail on the last drive. I think the PI call on the last drive was marginal but PI anyway. But by that stage it didnt matter if the Colts had punted or not because the Bills would have been pinned deep with no TOs .

A punt in that spot shows how bad both the coach and quarterback are. We have been out-coached and out-quarterbacked in almost every game this year.

Take a chance and throw the ball down field?

I know Fitz can't throw, but maybe we get lucky, maybe get an PI call, or maybe somebody catches it?

Even a deep INT is like a punt anyhow?

i hope you aren't referring to the pass interference call....it was legit...still should have stopped them...they were playing well enough to do that

Buffalo forced two punts in the 4th quarter, and allowed only one score. They were playing well. And should've forced a punt on the last drive, only to be screwed (again) by the refs.

I respectfully disagree...the clock was stopped appropriately with one second and i do not think it was a fumble...

a) they fumbled at the 1, and b) the clock ran out.

I respectfully disagree...the clock was stopped appropriately with one second and i do not think it was a fumble...

Watch the replay again. The Colts SNAPPED the ball with 1 second left. You think a spike takes 0 seconds to run? It takes the ref a second to call that it was an incomplete pass. Plus, the play before that, Luck was in the pocket a second without the clock going down a tick. Did it result in the loss? Not directly, but it showed that once again we were fighting against the refs AND the opponent. Heck, even on our tight end TD pass, he had to push the ref aside to get to the ball.

colts wouldnt have scored on that drive, they only scored 13 points on offense all day, and 3 of those were freaking gift wrapped to them at the end of the first half--and they shouldnt even have gotten those because a) they fumbled at the 1, and b) the clock ran out.

Don't forget about Justin Rodgers have a spaz attack

Edited by Teen Insight

That decision to punt was a perfect metaphor for the team. The coach's primary focus was on what the other guy might be able to do if we tried and didn't succeed - even when time was literally running out on the entire season.

At that precise point in the game, the clock and possession were far more important concerns than potential field position if the 4th down attempt wasn't successful. (If he thought the defense would stop them after a punt, for certain he'd have been equally confident the defense would've stopped them after a failed 4th down attempt.)

It was the typical wimpy, "try not to lose it" call that we've all learned to expect.

How does Chan rationalize punting from around midfield with only 3 mins left and his defense as bad as it is? Did he actually believe that they could shutdown the Colts and get the ball back? What evidence did he have from this season to lead him to this insane conclusion. And yet there we are listening to Rich Gannon call him a great playcaller etc. This guy is a joke.

Though I totally agree that CG is a joke.....punting was probably the odds on thing to do in that position.

It was a 4th & 8

On 3rd & 7 or more yards we were 2 from 10(20%) on the day.....while we managed to force a punt or turnover on 6 of 9 drives(66.7%).

I'd have punted.

Edited by Dibs

yep.

in Chans defense he knew the O sucked too so instead of letting the colts take over at midfield he thought that at least we could delay the inevitable ;)

From what I've seen, most would punt with three timeouts and the 2 minute warning still left. It was a tough call either way, if they went for it and didn't make it, he'd be ripped for that too. I agree with others the D played pretty well most of the game so punt, pin him which we did and stop them, which we didn't.

How many coaches punt with season on the line?

Enough said

From what I've seen, most would punt with three timeouts and the 2 minute warning still left. It was a tough call either way, if they went for it and didn't make it, he'd be ripped for that too. I agree with others the D played pretty well most of the game so punt, pin him which we did and stop them, which we didn't.

Its not a tough playcall when you consider this Bills defence and their penchant for choking with the game on the line esp this season. I bet Chan trusted the D to get the stop on Tennessee as well and they folded. In this game with a rookie Qb pinned deep most people would count on their D to get a stop but with Wanny running the show as badly as he has been, how the hell could you trust him to get a 3 and out?

Our QB sucks. He made the right choice. Pray that the D could get a turnover or a 3 and out with good field position and opposed to praying Fitz can make a play when the team needs him to. It's a rare occasion. He's a bum. I would've punted too.

Its not a tough playcall when you consider this Bills defence and their penchant for choking with the game on the line esp this season. I bet Chan trusted the D to get the stop on Tennessee as well and they folded. In this game with a rookie Qb pinned deep most people would count on their D to get a stop but with Wanny running the show as badly as he has been, how the hell could you trust him to get a 3 and out?

Because fitz is our QB and he sucks. It's pretty easy to figure that out. If we had a decent QB, we go for it. We don't. Punt and pray

How many coaches punt with season on the line?

Enough said

Coaches with fitz as his qb

This was probably Gailey's worst called game I've seen. That said, the decision to punt was not necessarily wrong. Indeed, we had them inside their 10 with a third and nine and our D gave up the first down. I know our D sucks, but they played more than well enough to get it done today, including a dominating series on the Colts' previous possession. I don't like our D and we are five players away from being very good and I can see the argument NOT to depend on them to stop an O when they have to, but they had a good shot at having the Colts punt from their own end zone and us having a two timeouts to play with.

C'est la vie.

GO BILLS!!!

the defense smacked a three-and-out on the patriots in the final minutes (2) weeks ago. they were playing well enough today to do it as well-

but consider gailey's decision- it really was a toss up- BUT- either way the offense would have had to make some plays and score a TD- not necessarily a confidence inspiring proposition.

put yourself in the coaches running shoes- which decision gives you the most confidence- or should it be said- the least amount of lack of confidence.

well I don't believe anyone would have punted given the season ended on this game....but I guess if you don't care and the organization doesn't care...you just punt so the score doesn't look so bad a few years from now when you look back and talk about the close games to any new free agents...the bills organization only cares about money and money doesn't care about anyone but itself...piss poor....win or loose i have been a bills fan but this is horrible... bad teams have to take chances and we have been a bad team...but we still dont want to take any chances.....therefore there is no way we will win...season over...good nite!!!

What BS. The ref made the right call. Gimore had his left arm draped around the receiver. If Stevie were held like that you would want a call.

Look at the stats - - The defense did not make the stops on third down. The coaching sucks on this team. The refs did not cost us the game. We did not make the big plays.

----------------

To the original topic:

Punting was a stupid call indeed. We already got the big break on the Colts interception-turned-fumble.

How about some low percetage passes and then a punt? Never even try to stretch the filed. That is what the offensive genious Chan came up with.

In that last series how about two carries for Spiller, knowing you have 4 downs to work with, that might have kept the chains moving for us?

I am just betting that Defensive Coordinators around the league are relieved that Chan refuses to ride the best player on the team. Defenses dictate to Chan what he will call.

What kind of coach consistently sits out or decoys his best player when he gets to the red zone?

Punting was a Jauron-like decision. A loser decision.

Take a shot Chan, grow a pair please.

Edited by Bob in STL

Watch the replay again. The Colts SNAPPED the ball with 1 second left. You think a spike takes 0 seconds to run? It takes the ref a second to call that it was an incomplete pass. Plus, the play before that, Luck was in the pocket a second without the clock going down a tick. Did it result in the loss? Not directly, but it showed that once again we were fighting against the refs AND the opponent. Heck, even on our tight end TD pass, he had to push the ref aside to get to the ball.

If you're referring to the play right before the field goal at the end of the first, I too believe that the clock struck zero before the ball hit the ground. I think they should have reviewed that. They basically handed the colts 3 points. Well, we handed them the opportunity when, as earlier in the year, Chan decided to throw the ball with under a minute left in the half....when we were getting the ball to start the second. First time he did this Chandler fumbled and San Fran put the game away one play later. It was stupid.

And the interference on Gilmore may have been the right call, but the ref waited till the play was over for about 5 seconds and threw the flag after the receiver whined about it. If it was interference (and it was) the flag should have happened immediately. Sometimes you have to let it go and let the teams decide it on the field. They handed the Colts the game right there.

An earlier interference call on the Bills was rotten, because the ball was uncatchable, but again....bad officating. They made several bad calls. But the reason we lost, primarily, was Fitzpatrick. And that they chose to rest Spiller after 14 carries.

Furthermore, the reason we don't get any calls is this: Other than us, nobody gives a s**t about the Buffalo Bills. Except maybe those who have CJ on their fantasy team.

Question: Do you think there was one person who played our backup tight end on Fantasy Football? Other than his immediate family I cannot think of one individual in the universe who would have gotten points for that touchdown.