Did Belichick run up the score on the Colts to effect the Bills Game

We can call BB classless, all we want, but it seems to work for him...c'mon, wouldn't you get excited if the Bills could lay those kind of points up, week after week, no matter who their foe was?

Only against the Pats* and Cowboys. With any other team, I will appreciate the coach calling the dogs off once he has a ~3 TD lead in the 4th quarter.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a heard that usually when a team is blown out, they come back the next week with something to prove. Do you think Belichick intentionally ran up the score on the Colts knowing they were facing the Bills the following week? If so, this guy is light years ahead of any other coach.

Time to change your name to murkywater catet. :D

This one is a little out there.

I see your point but not me. I was proud of Chan kneeling on the Browns goal line in Cleveland Stadium when we had the win sealed but could have scored easily. I remember thinking that's difference between class and no class. Bill doesn't exhibit any that I've seen.

Is that really any less embarrassing for the defense though ..... to know that the only way you stopped the offense, that had been taking you to the woodshed all game long, was when they chose to stop themselves by taking a knee?

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

We have a heard that usually when a team is blown out, they come back the next week with something to prove. Do you think Belichick intentionally ran up the score on the Colts knowing they were facing the Bills the following week? If so, this guy is light years ahead of any other coach.

Bellyache ran up the score because he wants Cinderfella Tom to be the star of the show all the time

I see your point but not me. I was proud of Chan kneeling on the Browns goal line in Cleveland Stadium when we had the win sealed but could have scored easily. I remember thinking that's difference between class and no class. Bill doesn't exhibit any that I've seen.

Bruschi called it "getting in the oppenants head"...I think there is some validity to it. Remember, "you play to win the game..." Don't take the metal off the peddle, if it gives your team an edge.

That said, yeah, sure I would prefer the kneel down to running up the score...but, given the choice, I would take winning 10-15 games a season every year, making the playoffs, winning a few rings...even if fans of 31 other teams thought I had no class...

Edited by Buftex

Yes, of course. No one denies this. The real question is why? Is he placing a large bet on the over or is it something more sinister? Ever notice stock market trends the morning after the Bills fail to cover the spread? I've said too much already.

Of course he did. The Bills are always on his mind. He stays awake at night worrying about the Bills and figuring ways out to stop them.

That has to be listed among the top ten dumbest things I have ever read

Of course he did. The Bills are always on his mind. He stays awake at night worrying about the Bills and figuring ways out to stop them.

Yeah sure he does

NOT

No probably just the simple fact that last year (up 31-3) they took their foot off the gas and almost lost the game to the colts. He probably wanted make sure NOTHING like that happened again.

Yes.. because I'm sure Belichick lies awake at night worrying about what the cellar dwellers in his division are doing. :wallbash:

I would be shocked if there's any positive correlation between getting blown out and proceeding to win the next game. Perhaps the movie industry is to blame, but many fans latch onto this false narrative of grandiose emotional swings tied to performance. (ie. embarrassment leads to resolve, which leads to success)

Think about it for a second will ya.

Taking out your starters and implying that "my backups are as good as your starters and this will give you a fighting chance at least", is the ultimate FU to an opposing team.

Am I missing something here?

no, I think (key phrase in this response " I think") that it is much worse to run up the score and humilate your opponent. My opinion is that if it was generally accepted as worse to call off the dogs, you would have many more teams running up the score in the NFL. Most teams take the option of taking a knee rather than having your first team frantically throwing the ball, up more than 25 points late in the 4th quarter.

Clearly, you and I disagree, which is cool. Not everyone agrees all the time.

As for the original thesis, I'm sure Belichick's given the blowout issues a lot of thought because when it comes to football he's a deep thinker. However I would say that running up the score is his usual M.O. and that it doesn't have to do with some convoluted attempt to motivate an opponent.

They'll remember what? That BB left his starters in to finish the ballgame? Do you think the players would feel better, or less embarrassed, if BB took out all of his starters because he felt they were so much better than the opposing defense that, by not trying anymore, he made the game more equal? If anything, that would piss off an opposing team more than anything.

I really don't get the displeasure when a teams offense plays all out until the end of ball games. Why should it be expected of the winning offense to stop trying? If they stop trying should the opposing defense not be expected to also not try? And, what about the winning team's defense! Should they stop trying too and just let the opposing offense score at will?

Think about it for a second will ya.

Taking out your starters and implying that "my backups are as good as your starters and this will give you a fighting chance at least", is the ultimate FU to an opposing team.

Am I missing something here?

Besides the sportsmanship angle, you're also missing the point that every team has younger developmental players that would benefit from live game experience. Guys like, you know, Ryan Mallette?

No. Belichick definitely has zero class.

Look at his behavior in losses, particularly in Super Bowls. Think of the way he's always conducted himself in these situations. Even in his personal life he's a shytheel. Hiding his mistress in a house he paid for while he was still married, etc.

The guy is a great football coach but as a human being he's a piece of crap.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

For real?

He hung 52 on us--wasn't he afraid it would enrage us sufficiently to beat SF?

ha ha...I want to look back to see if all the Patsies butt whoopin's the past 8+ seasons enraged this team to win the next game...I say there has to be at least 3

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Yeah, I'm sure that is all he thinks about ... "how can I screw a team that hasn't beat me in a decade or so?"