Steve Mariucci sees bright future for Fitzpatrick in Buffalo

HOUSE

Listened to this last night and I just had to post ........

Posted by johnmurphyshow on November 14, 2012 – 8:30 pm

He was Brett Favre’s quarterback coach, when the future Hall of Famer arrived in Green Bay 20-years ago. And he was the Head Coach of the 49ers and the Lions.

NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci has the credentials to talk about quarterback play in the league. And in an appearance Wednesday night on The John Murphy Show, Mariucci said the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to lead the franchise into the future.

“He’s a very capable guy,” Mariucci said on the radio show. “He’s not one of those guys that a team should be looking to replace. He’s a solid starter. You can build a team around that guy with a run game, and add another receiver in the offseason, and I think they’ll be on the right track, there’s no doubt.”

Mariucci is in town as part of the NFL Network’s coverage of Thursday’s Bills-Dolphins matchup. He’ll be on the sidelines for the NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football pregame, halftime, and postgame shows. He’s also part of the network’s NFL GameDay Morning show on Sundays.

Mariucci was asked on The John Murphy Show whether the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to be the team’s quarterback into the future.

“I think he’s got enough, with all the qualities physical and some intangible qualities,” he said. ” He’s a guy that you add to his weapons, and continue to build your team with the draft and maybe some free agent moves. I think he’s the guy to do it.”

The longtime NFL Coach also said he admires Fitzpatrick’s leadership skills and competitive fire.

“He’s a feisty guy. He’s had his share of excellent games, and he’s very smart and capable of putting successive plays together to get in the end zone. I like his spunk. He’s got a fiery personality that is contagious. There are games that he’d like to have some plays back, I’m sure. But he still has an 87 or so rating, which is respectable (87.5), and a decent percentage of completions–17 touchdowns.”

The John Murphy Show airs weeknights from 7-pm on the flagship station of the Bills, WGR Sports Radio 550.

http://blogs.buffalo...itz-with-bills/

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Fitz its all about ball placement, IMO, we all know he cant throw it deep accurately, but in addition to that, on the short and intermediate routes he doesnt often put the ball in a place that allows the reciever to run after catch. Whether its low, behind, high, he rarely leads his reciever enough.

Not saying Fitz is the answer, I want a new QB in the mix.... but some random rookie QB would be hard pressed to put up the stats that Fitz has so far this season. Fitz's numbers are better than 3-6 on almost every other team. If we had an average defense the record would be better.

Lol, that Network just had on the crawl that Buffalo has not won a division game since October 2010! Guess that Pats game no count from last year.

BTW, I still be on the Fitz bandwagon

They had a crawl running a few weeks ago that said we started 2011 6-2. Who is doing their stat checking.

With Fitz its all about ball placement, IMO, we all know he cant throw it deep accurately, but in addition to that, on the short and intermediate routes he doesnt often put the ball in a place that allows the reciever to run after catch. Whether its low, behind, high, he rarely leads his reciever enough.

THIS

You have to look past the stats to see it - but analysts watching his games notice this all the time and it's easy to see even as a fan.

Gailey's scheme inflates his numbers - never forget Thigpen had good stats for Gailey in KC. :rolleyes:

Edited by BobChalmers

Does anyone know why exactly we picked up Tarvaris Jackson at the end of August? He has no chance of helping the team this year (I don't think he's been active for a single game) so all it means is that we might have him as a backup to Fitz next year. Or maybe not even. Hardly worth a draft pick, even a 7th rounder.

He was worth a 7th...even as a backup for next year but definitely not more than that. Maybe that's why he was not activated, in order to keep it a 7th rounder not a 6th or higher.

1) mooch is just saying what ive been telling the whiners for years, fitz is not elite but hes good enuf to win with. fans want the super qb or nuthin but they never fully remember how truly awful bad qbing can actually be

c) the tj situation isnt all that complicated. chuddy was obvious uncomfortable with thigpen as their only insurance once vince imploded so they spent a relative pittance on another policy. thiggy finally had a good performance his last preseason game but i still wouldnt want to rely on him to produce like fitz does. if fitz goes down then at least youd have legit competition for the starting job, which when you consider tigpens deficiencies that is key

Wow, my reaction was exactly the opposite. "If Mooch is plugging Fitz there's no way he's making a come back here."

Ha! Exactly what my thoughts were ... he must be gunning for a Jets/Dolphins HC job and wants to make sure Buffalo keeps sucking. People need to stop being fooled by Fitz doing very well against very crappy defenses. It's an undeniable trend. Having a schedule as easy as this year's isn't going to happen too often. Fitz just is not the answer.

Does anyone know why exactly we picked up Tarvaris Jackson at the end of August? He has no chance of helping the team this year (I don't think he's been active for a single game) so all it means is that we might have him as a backup to Fitz next year. Or maybe not even. Hardly worth a draft pick, even a 7th rounder.

It gives Gailey a chance to see if Jackson can be a starter for him in the future or a back up for us. As you said, it cost us a 7th rounder. That future pick is really hurting our chances his year tho