I was wrong about Fitzpatrick and my evaluations of our weaknesses

ThurmasThoman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the frustration of the pick in the EZ (Graham was in the wrong place) and the one against Titans (D gave up a 60 yard drive after this), but are you really sure that some snot nose college kid even has us in those games? What if we get a guy that is a more accurate passer, but can't make the reads and holds onto the ball too long and gets sacked a lot? Or only checks down? Or throws more picks because he's not used to the speed of the game? We've had young guys who looked impressive out of the chute (JP *10 passer in NFL his first year as starter and Trent taking us on that 5 game winning streak). Then they fizzle.

Be careful what you ask for.

Maybe it would be better to shore up or WRs a little and somehow improve our D. Try to make a playoff run. I know people say Fitz will never win a SB. Maybe not. I don't know about you, but for now, I just want the bills to be relevant again. Maybe watch some game in mid to late December/January with real playoff implications for us. Would be fun.

Start worrying about the Super Bowl after that.

I disagree we have to address fitz. Wanny needs to go yes, but a team like the colts with worse talent all around then us is 6-3 compared to 3-6 because they have a good qb. Its time to address it.

Have you seen the Colts schedule? Yes they have a very impressive win over the Packers at home driven by emotion. They are playing a last place schedule and have not played the Texans yet.

I would not be surpised to see the Bills go 5-2 or even 6-1 down the stretch while they go 2-5.

Truth: Offense is more than capable, Defense stinks!

Fitz is not the problem with this team.

Is anybody saying that he is "the" problem with this team?

I've heard many say that he is "a" problem with this team.....do you disagree with that?

I know this is the internet, so I should never admit defeat, but a few things:

I was wrong about us beating the Patriots this week, and more specifically, wrong about them being on the decline. That is a team that can put points on the scoreboard. However, I maintain that they're not getting any younger, and we're getting closer to them. Maybe that says more about the Bills than about the Patriots, but next year, we finish ahead of them.

I'm not ready to say I'm wrong about us making the playoffs. The 5 seeded colts are 3 games ahead of us with 7 to go. We play Miami this week, they play the Patriots. Then, we play the Colts the following week. Following that, the Colts fly to Detroit, and we come home to play Jacksonville. 3 winnable games for us, 3 losable games for them. This season could look totally different in a few weeks, so I'll still be watching, and you should too.

Finally, and what I really wanted to get to, I was wrong about Fitzpatrick. All season I was beating the drum that Thigpen should take over, or better yet, Jackson. Point blank, fitzy has been getting it done lately. We have the 32nd ranked defense in the league: In 4 of our losses this year, we scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points. The TWENTY SEVENTH ranked defense in the league allows 27.6 points a game. Just that little of a jump, from 32nd to 27th ranked defense could result in 4 more wins. Basically, Fitz is being handicapped by how bad our defense is. The top 10 defenses in the league all allow under 21 points a game, which would get us another "win." So having a top 10 defense, with the offense we have now, would be good for % more wins, or a 8-1 record.

*Disclaimer: I know there a lot of "what-ifs" in the scenario I just created, but it's for the sake of discussion.

The point to all of this: Keep Gailey-he's doing just fine. Keep Fitz-he can win if our D plays better. Fire Wanny, draft linebackers, get a SOLID #2 wideout, and... I cant believe I'm about to say this... but give Fitz one more year :(

Fitz is still not good enough

i dont know buddy, but your goal should always be to use protection when you hang out with brady.

you are the typical bills fan that is terrified of the patriots.

the league has moved on. that team hasnt been relevant since 07. they play in our division, so your fear is somewhat justified, but did you not watch yesterdays game?

san francisco - handled us.

the texans - handled us.

the patriots - aided by the officials, coming off a bye, barely beat us in their place.

the patriots are a lot closer to buffalo, than they are to the houstons, san frans, new yorks and chicagos of the league.

if you dont believe that - watch more football.

No one is "afraid" of the pats, but your posts are filled with nonsense, like the first NE game this year was a good game or that Brady has gone downhill since age 30. I can't take you seriously. If you're trying to convince yourself that the Bills are "very close" to NE, I suggest you do it in private. If you want to convince the rest of us, use a more convincing, fact based argument.

<snip> and... I cant believe I'm about to say this... but give Fitz one more year :(

How about keeping it all the same and giving them all another year? They can't really be that bad, there may be fewer injuries, the rest of the AFC could take several steps back, and it's hard to evaluate players without a full season of tape to review. :bag:

I know this is the internet, so I should never admit defeat, but a few things:

I was wrong about us beating the Patriots this week, and more specifically, wrong about them being on the decline. That is a team that can put points on the scoreboard. However, I maintain that they're not getting any younger, and we're getting closer to them. Maybe that says more about the Bills than about the Patriots, but next year, we finish ahead of them.

I'm not ready to say I'm wrong about us making the playoffs. The 5 seeded colts are 3 games ahead of us with 7 to go. We play Miami this week, they play the Patriots. Then, we play the Colts the following week. Following that, the Colts fly to Detroit, and we come home to play Jacksonville. 3 winnable games for us, 3 losable games for them. This season could look totally different in a few weeks, so I'll still be watching, and you should too.

Finally, and what I really wanted to get to, I was wrong about Fitzpatrick. All season I was beating the drum that Thigpen should take over, or better yet, Jackson. Point blank, fitzy has been getting it done lately. We have the 32nd ranked defense in the league: In 4 of our losses this year, we scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points. The TWENTY SEVENTH ranked defense in the league allows 27.6 points a game. Just that little of a jump, from 32nd to 27th ranked defense could result in 4 more wins. Basically, Fitz is being handicapped by how bad our defense is. The top 10 defenses in the league all allow under 21 points a game, which would get us another "win." So having a top 10 defense, with the offense we have now, would be good for % more wins, or a 8-1 record.

*Disclaimer: I know there a lot of "what-ifs" in the scenario I just created, but it's for the sake of discussion.

The point to all of this: Keep Gailey-he's doing just fine. Keep Fitz-he can win if our D plays better. Fire Wanny, draft linebackers, get a SOLID #2 wideout, and... I cant believe I'm about to say this... but give Fitz one more year :(

Why does this always happen? Fitz can stink the place up for weeks on end, and then has one outing where he looks good for a large portion of ONE game and all of a sudden he is no longer a liability and we do not need a QB. This is the definition of insanity...keep doing the same things and expect different results.

Fitz has PROVEN to without a shadow of a doubt that he is not the answer at QB, is woefully inaccurate (especially on deep throws), has no down field game, and is literally the single most inconsistent QB in the NFL. What comes with inconsistency is a few games where he looks salvageable and more games where he looks like a major problem. His career has been nothing more than journeyman level and backup quality at best. Is he going to go out and have a few games where he gets on a roll...sure...but more often than not, he plays below acceptable. Not to mention even in games where he has a better outing, he tends to make just enough mistakes to prevent the win (like the 2 turnovers this weekend).

The defense is a MAJOR issue, but so is Fitz. Chans gimmick offense will help him and the offense generate points, but its also an offense that is mistake prone and inconsistent when it matters. Chan also got Tyler Thigpen to be a point creating machine in KC, but he still is a terrible QB.

For once in your lives, stop reading the stat lines in the paper and start using your eyes in the games. He misses his throws even on many of his completions. Guys like Brady pick apart teams with short, timed throws because he hits his targets in strides allowing them to make plays after the catch. Fitz may complete the throw, but far too often the target has to break his route, slow down, come back, stop, etc just to make the catch preventing too many chances to advance the play and extend the drive.

Even our GM has publicly said we need to find a QB. Fitz's time as the unquestioned starter is over. Yes, there are major holes on D too, but your QB touches the ball every single offensive snap...and when that guy is inconsistent, so will your team be. Even when a team like the Ravens won the SB behind Trent Dilfer who was nothing special, Trent was at least consistent at not making too many mistakes and managing that offense. You have to have CONSISTENCY under center or you will be in for a long center. Thats why Farve only won one SB despite all his accomplishments and talented teams he played on. Because as good as he was, he had a tendency to get inconsistent when it mattered most and cost his teams multiple exits from the post season single handedly.

GET A NEW QB IN THIS DRAFT, FIRST ROUND. Then go LB in round 2, BPA after that.

Edited by Alphadawg7

If the Bills finish reasonably strong, which is possible given their remaining schedule, they may have to give up a bunch of their picks in order to get one of the few good QBs this draft.

Would have stood a better chance last year, but that time has passed.

If the Bills finish reasonably strong, which is possible given their remaining schedule, they may have to give up a bunch of their picks in order to get one of the few good QBs this draft.

Would have stood a better chance last year, but that time has passed.

Then you give up the picks to get your guy. Washington gave up a bounty, do you think they regret it? Hell no. We wont have to give up even remotely close to what Washington did either because we will not have to go all the way up to the 2nd pick.

This team will never have any consistency without stabilizing the QB position. This is the NUMBER 1 reason why when you rebuild, you start with the QB first. Its the hardest position to learn, to hit on in a draft, to develop. It takes time to really know what you have. Only an organization as foolish as the Bills rebuild without addressing the QB

Then you give up the picks to get your guy. Washington gave up a bounty, do you think they regret it? Hell no. We wont have to give up even remotely close to what Washington did either because we will not have to go all the way up to the 2nd pick.

This team will never have any consistency without stabilizing the QB position. This is the NUMBER 1 reason why when you rebuild, you start with the QB first. Its the hardest position to learn, to hit on in a draft, to develop. It takes time to really know what you have. Only an organization as foolish as the Bills rebuild without addressing the QB

I got to agree with this.

If you make your team better but play with an inferioir QB, you will keep winning just enough games to put you out of the running for a true good qb.

Better to grab your QB when you really stink and have a top 3 pick then wait and try to get him later in round one or another lower round.

I get that, but you can't keep using the argument that we score enough to win, when your QB throws a last possesion interception. That's on him.

Exactly, "scoring enough to win" can only mean scoring more than the opponent. Fitz has whiffed on every chance to be clutch except the Raiders game last year. I pray he evolves into something more than an average QB but i am just not expecting it.

sir your first paragraph is right on. Washington did the Right thing at the Right time. regardless of what they traded away.

But i would suggest strongly if you want a passer like a Manning, a Brady, maybe a Rodgers and Brees even , you might want to have a strong Offensive line. Especially as rookie since they are thrown to the fire almost immediately these days.

We have a line, now lets go get us a QB !

edit. i myself do not want a Brady. at all. ever.

Edited by 3rdand12

Why does this always happen? Fitz can stink the place up for weeks on end, and then has one outing where he looks good for a large portion of ONE game and all of a sudden he is no longer a liability and we do not need a QB. This is the definition of insanity...keep doing the same things and expect different results.

Fitz has PROVEN to without a shadow of a doubt that he is not the answer at QB, is woefully inaccurate (especially on deep throws), has no down field game, and is literally the single most inconsistent QB in the NFL. What comes with inconsistency is a few games where he looks salvageable and more games where he looks like a major problem. His career has been nothing more than journeyman level and backup quality at best. Is he going to go out and have a few games where he gets on a roll...sure...but more often than not, he plays below acceptable. Not to mention even in games where he has a better outing, he tends to make just enough mistakes to prevent the win (like the 2 turnovers this weekend).

The defense is a MAJOR issue, but so is Fitz. Chans gimmick offense will help him and the offense generate points, but its also an offense that is mistake prone and inconsistent when it matters. Chan also got Tyler Thigpen to be a point creating machine in KC, but he still is a terrible QB.

For once in your lives, stop reading the stat lines in the paper and start using your eyes in the games. He misses his throws even on many of his completions. Guys like Brady pick apart teams with short, timed throws because he hits his targets in strides allowing them to make plays after the catch. Fitz may complete the throw, but far too often the target has to break his route, slow down, come back, stop, etc just to make the catch preventing too many chances to advance the play and extend the drive.

Even our GM has publicly said we need to find a QB. Fitz's time as the unquestioned starter is over. Yes, there are major holes on D too, but your QB touches the ball every single offensive snap...and when that guy is inconsistent, so will your team be. Even when a team like the Ravens won the SB behind Trent Dilfer who was nothing special, Trent was at least consistent at not making too many mistakes and managing that offense. You have to have CONSISTENCY under center or you will be in for a long center. Thats why Farve only won one SB despite all his accomplishments and talented teams he played on. Because as good as he was, he had a tendency to get inconsistent when it mattered most and cost his teams multiple exits from the post season single handedly.

The truth is, your position is now extremely hard to dispute, given the rule changes.

Tell me if you will, was Schaub trded before or after the rule changes? He is easily a top 10 qb. EASILY. Before the rule changes, he might not have survived. Chris Chandler (remember him?) would have led teams to the superbowl (well, he did this once) if he was protected the way qbs are today.Players now are fined huge money for illegal hits on the qb. And, they are no longer allowed to blast receivers over the middle, evn on incompletions.

You still need to block for these guys, and now we can. If the OL stays together, it will probably get even better. And we can run successfully, which will always matter, especially in Buffalo.

But the bottom line is that today, there is little chance of real success without a top 10, or perhaps top 12 qb. The 49ers might be an exception, but this is only one example. The rule changes have impacted the game just that much.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Tell me if you will, was Schaub trded before or after the rule changes? He is easily a top 10 qb. EASILY.

Well he was traded in 2007 so I don't know if that is before or after these "rule" change. I don't know how you come to your conclusion about Schaub though. He is borderline top 10 at best and falls just outside it for me when I listed qbs.

As for Fitz I think (at least for me) it isn't so much that I think he is good, as much as I think the mess around him has made him worse. If he were to switch places with Schaub or Alex Smith do you think the Texans or Niners would suffer? Better yet do you think the Bills would be better?

The Defense has not given the Offense any chance to shine. Believe me I was mad about the picks against Tenn and against the Pats, but both of those came in games where Fitz led the team to 30+ points. This to some of us puts the blame squarely on the D.

I am still for drafting a qb in the first but have cooled on the idea of giving up the farm to move up. I don't think Barkley is as bad as people are making him out to be but he may be at our pick in the middle of the round. After the circus that is the predraft process I doubt it though. Smith scares me bc I watched him live and a.) wasn't impressed (although it was last year) and b.) he has an aloofness that scares me. The no brainer qb pick isn't there this year so I think I am good staying put and getting a guy to develop behind/push Fitz/take over in this draft.

The D is just such a mess that giving up picks is dangerous. By my estimation they need 3 lbs, at least 1 cb, and some d line depth. That is 5 picks plus qb makes 6 plus the one given up for tjax and that is our draft. I just hope I remember in the off season how far away I know they are and don't get drunk on the kool aid (again :bag: )

After watching the last 3 minutes of that game, I was thoroughly disappointed to see Buffalo wrestle defeat from the jaws of victory. However, I do not blame any of the players.

The pass play was a foolish call. Freddie and CJ were running well. The touchdown would leave enough time on the clock for the Patriots to get within field goal range and win by one. We need better clock management.