I was wrong about Fitzpatrick and my evaluations of our weaknesses

ThurmasThoman

Tell me if you will, was Schaub trded before or after the rule changes? He is easily a top 10 qb. EASILY.

Off your subject I know, just making a point here. He might be a top 10 QB in Houston where they have a dominate run game to set up the pass, just like with Joe Flacco, Alex Smith. Those 3 would get killed on a different team, any one that passes first or tries to force the QB to shoulder the game by himself. AKA the Eagles, the Bills

Chan Gailey has been slowly giving his RB's more touches week after week, and perhaps by the end of the season they both might finally be getting the 40 touches Gailey stated they should get.

Anyway, I think fans here will crap when they see a different QB try and run Chan Gaileys offense the way it is currently run, utter failure will ensue. Even if this regime drafts a rookie I don't see him starting for quite awhile....like a few years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off your subject I know, just making a point here. He might be a top 10 QB in Houston where they have a dominate run game to set up the pass, just like with Joe Flacco, Alex Smith. Those 3 would get killed on a different team, any one that passes first or tries to force the QB to shoulder the game by himself. AKA the Eagles, the Bills

Chan Gailey has been slowly giving his RB's more touches week after week, and perhaps by the end of the season they both might finally be getting the 40 touches Gailey stated they should get.

Anyway, I think fans here will crap when they see a different QB try and run Chan Gaileys offense the way it is currently run, utter failure will ensue. Even if this regime drafts a rookie I don't see him starting for quite awhile....like a few years.

I disagree on Schaub. When Houston passes, Schaub has been good to even very good. Houston has an amazing run game now, so the passing offense gets over shadowed. However, Schaub has been a pretty good QB. Not mistake prone, accurate, consistent, and throws a nice deep ball. And he has done this with really only one main target in Andre. He is a top 12 QB and I think Buffalo would be a better team under Schaub...hell I can name several fringe teams that IMO would be a better team with Schaub over their current QB: Phi, Dallas, Minn, Jets, and Buffalo to just name a few.

Guys like Brees, Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Big Ben, and probably Ryan are going to make up your top 6. But after that, the next group is all pretty bunched up. After that you have a group made up of Eli, Stafford, Rivers, Newton, Schaub, Luck, RG3, and Cutler. Schaub wont have the same gaudy stats as some, but thats because they can run so well in Houston. Just my 2 cents, but I would rank him 11 behind those original 6 and Eli, Stafford, Luck, and RG3. Rivers, Newton, and Dalton would be 12, 13, and 14. Newton has not been very good this year, Rivers seems past his prime (or at least plays like it this year) and Dalton has a chance to get better and move up into the top 10.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I know this is the internet, so I should never admit defeat, but a few things:

I was wrong about us beating the Patriots this week, and more specifically, wrong about them being on the decline. That is a team that can put points on the scoreboard. However, I maintain that they're not getting any younger, and we're getting closer to them. Maybe that says more about the Bills than about the Patriots, but next year, we finish ahead of them.

I'm not ready to say I'm wrong about us making the playoffs. The 5 seeded colts are 3 games ahead of us with 7 to go. We play Miami this week, they play the Patriots. Then, we play the Colts the following week. Following that, the Colts fly to Detroit, and we come home to play Jacksonville. 3 winnable games for us, 3 losable games for them. This season could look totally different in a few weeks, so I'll still be watching, and you should too.

Finally, and what I really wanted to get to, I was wrong about Fitzpatrick. All season I was beating the drum that Thigpen should take over, or better yet, Jackson. Point blank, fitzy has been getting it done lately. We have the 32nd ranked defense in the league: In 4 of our losses this year, we scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points. The TWENTY SEVENTH ranked defense in the league allows 27.6 points a game. Just that little of a jump, from 32nd to 27th ranked defense could result in 4 more wins. Basically, Fitz is being handicapped by how bad our defense is. The top 10 defenses in the league all allow under 21 points a game, which would get us another "win." So having a top 10 defense, with the offense we have now, would be good for % more wins, or a 8-1 record.

*Disclaimer: I know there a lot of "what-ifs" in the scenario I just created, but it's for the sake of discussion.

The point to all of this: Keep Gailey-he's doing just fine. Keep Fitz-he can win if our D plays better. Fire Wanny, draft linebackers, get a SOLID #2 wideout, and... I cant believe I'm about to say this... but give Fitz one more year :(

Yeah, but your perscription for fixing the Bills is the same as going into this year. Everyone knew we had to get better on D. 1 man doesn't fix the D. Everyone knew our LBs are puke. Buddy didn't address it at all. And Everyone knows we need a real #2 WR and we didn't do that this season. Same holes going into next year, but now you gotta get about 4 additional players and keep Levitre and Byrd. Sounds like a recipe for Win!!